News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: How far do YOU drive it?
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2008, 10:58:14 AM »
I probably carry the ball around 280-285 averaging around 290

What does an Army guy do...I can't see you bombing one.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2008, 10:59:57 AM »
Huck:

I actually went to the 50 inch driver -- before they were banned -- and was getting a max of 230 in the air -- and that was only after I copied my swing motion to replicate the technique Happy Gilmour did on film. It also helped me to sneak a few 1.62 Brit balls to help too !

OK.  You do take a lot of crap here for previous bravado.

But you know, Benham is longer than you also, from what I hear.  Also shivas, several others.  You're not in the GCA top 10 if the truth be known.

;D

Might THIS challenge get an honest answer out of you?

In all seriousness, I am really curious. 

TH

Rich Goodale

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2008, 11:00:33 AM »
About the same as Barney, which is pitful for both of us.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2008, 11:00:41 AM »
I have a swing speed of around 98 mph, and a good drive for me is 260.  In warmer/higher/firmer conditions, I can stretch it a little further.  Living in the soft PNW at sea level doesn't help much.

John Moore II

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2008, 11:01:08 AM »
Kalen--Thanks for speaking for me, I suppose I'll chime in on my own now ;D

Well, the last time I played, I flew a ball to within 5 yards of a 330 par 4, where the ball basically plugged because the approach was so wet. And then 3 holes later I had 185 left into a 525 par 5, so I hit that one 340ish after it actually rolled (didn't catch that one as good as the other one though).

And I love playing out in Utah. That elevation is wonderful. I think I've hit 4 or 5 drives that went 375+ in the two times I have played there.

As far as an average drive, depending on course conditions, I usually get out in the 300 range. On a firm course, I hit it farther of course.

Ted Kramer

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2008, 11:02:31 AM »
If there was 1 million dollars on the line with the following choices.

1. Hit the ball 240 yards in the air.
2. Make a 12 foot putt.
3. Golf your ball onto an average size green from 175 yards out

I'd choose #1 all day long.

If we moved that number to 260 yards, I'd choose one of the other 2.

-Ted

Tim Bert

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2008, 11:04:16 AM »
At 140 pounds I don't get much distance though I think my yards per pound ratio is pretty good for a hack amateur.

Temperature and time of year has a huge impact on my distance off the tee.

Assuming no wind and a flat course I would guess I average about 230 off the tee. I don't pay all that much attention to carry because I don't usually play courses from tees that require huge carry. I guess if I hit the ball 230 then I am carrying it 210 or 215. In the winter months when I'm playing less, swinging tighter, and it is in the 30s or 40s I'm hitting it 210 to 220.

In the summer months when it is 80s or warmer and I'm swinging really loose my average is probably more like 240 on up to 250. That is usually a combo of a couple that go 260 or more and a couple that go 220 or less. 

Best case scenario in mild wind and relatively flat land is 280 and that is when it is 90 degrees, I am swinging as hard as possible and happen to connect. Usually that same swing produces an ugly miss so I use it sparingly.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2008, 11:04:28 AM »
To bring this back to architecture I suggest all courses measure their holes from the very back of the tee boxes to the back of the greens.  If these guys think they hit a 470 yd par four with a five iron they are more likely to come back.  

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2008, 11:08:44 AM »
JK,

I think that actually happens. I know one of my courses measured the back tees from the back of the tees, with the others measured middle to get the tips to 7201.  And, I used to do some course measuring for Killian and Nugent.  It was typical that courses were 10% shorter than what the card says.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

John Kirk

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2008, 11:10:17 AM »
If there was 1 million dollars on the line with the following choices.

1. Hit the ball 240 yards in the air.
2. Make a 12 foot putt.
3. Golf your ball onto an average size green from 175 yards out

I'd choose #1 all day long.

If we moved that number to 260 yards, I'd choose one of the other 2.

-Ted

I'm a #3 guy, although 175 makes it a tweener shot between 5- and 6-iron.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2008, 11:10:21 AM »
John M.

If you only had some short game to go with that very long and very straight off the tee game....you'd be a plus handicapper.   ;D  :P

Adam Clayman

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2008, 11:13:29 AM »
205 carry is all I care to tackle. I will often play to spot that asks for that Carry to be heroic. Any more and.
I will wuss out and play safe. 
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

John Moore II

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2008, 11:15:14 AM »
John M.

If you only had some short game to go with that very long and very straight off the tee game....you'd be a plus handicapper.   ;D  :P

Anyone ever tell you that you're a bastard? 8)

Kirk Gill

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2008, 11:16:45 AM »
I can carry the ball forever.......in my pocket.

With a driver, I get a little over 200 yards of carry.......and I DO live in Colorado.

Sorry.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Garland Bayley

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2008, 11:26:51 AM »
John M.

Why do you need to ask?
 ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2008, 11:27:25 AM »
John M.

Hey I try to be all that I can be...

I'm just so inadequate off the tee, that I can't even mention my distances...although I've been hitting that 3 wood 220-230 pretty consistently the last few rounds.   ;D

Rick Sides

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2008, 11:28:06 AM »
I'm a pretty athletic person with good hand - eye coordination and I'm pretty big, 6'1 210 lbs. and on a good day I hit it 240.  I have to laugh at some of the people on this web site and many other people who claim to hit it 280 plus yards.  The average golfer with the exception of maybe some of the head professionals on this site are over estimating their drives by at least 2o plus yards.- I am glad that a lot of the guys on here are being honest.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2008, 11:29:14 AM »
JK,

I think that actually happens. I know one of my courses measured the back tees from the back of the tees, with the others measured middle to get the tips to 7201.  And, I used to do some course measuring for Killian and Nugent.  It was typical that courses were 10% shorter than what the card says.

I'm guessing 10% correlates pretty well with the numbers on this thread also.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2008, 11:29:54 AM »
John M.

Hey I try to be all that I can be...

I'm just so inadequate off the tee, that I can't even mention my distances...although I've been hitting that 3 wood 220-230 pretty consistently the last few rounds.   ;D

Kalen,

I hate to break it to you buddy, but we have been talking yards, not feet.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2008, 11:34:59 AM »
Garland,

I know you feel a little insecure that I hit my 3 wood longer than you hit your driver, but not to worry, those distances are a little inflated being at elevation here in UT.  ;D

P.S.  Just a few days ago hit a couple of 250 yard bombs with that 3 wood to boot!!

PCCraig

« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2008, 11:35:20 AM »
275-300 yards.
H.P.S.

Brian Noser

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2008, 11:36:28 AM »
I'm a pretty athletic person with good hand - eye coordination and I'm pretty big, 6'1 210 lbs. and on a good day I hit it 240.  I have to laugh at some of the people on this web site and many other people who claim to hit it 280 plus yards.  The average golfer with the exception of maybe some of the head professionals on this site are over estimating their drives by at least 2o plus yards.- I am glad that a lot of the guys on here are being honest.

I was not going to post on this but after this I have to. I have to say I dont know why you laugh? There are guys who are not head pros that can hit the ball 280. I have played with some of them from here.. Being honest, I am one of them I to am 6'1" and weigh 250 with a SS of 115-118. There may not be a lot They do exist ...Just so you know...

Joe Bausch

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2008, 11:39:44 AM »
240 carry.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2008, 11:40:42 AM »
I will put my finest mind against any of your finest drives. 

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2008, 11:41:12 AM »
As I posted before, I have seen with my own eyes that most golfers do overestimate the lengths they hit the ball.

BUT... I also know quite a few GCAers who hit the ball a ton, which I have also seen with my own eyes.  

So Brian makes a very good point. He freakin' kills the ball and I have seen it.  If he said average 280 carry I'd believe it and figure he might even be being modest.

A few others here can make those same honest claims as well.

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back