News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Cohn

Re: How far do YOU drive it?
« Reply #125 on: November 21, 2008, 06:00:57 PM »

At sea level I can carry the ball 260 without much worry. Anything longer than that involves some uncertainty.

It's very difficult for me to hit it 300 yards without some helping factor - breeze, bounce, elevation, etc.

Rick Sides

« Reply #126 on: November 21, 2008, 06:11:12 PM »
I was just wondering, are we talking the average of your drives or how far you sometimes hit the ball?

BVince

« Reply #127 on: November 21, 2008, 06:47:49 PM »
I'm a pretty athletic person with good hand - eye coordination and I'm pretty big, 6'1 210 lbs. and on a good day I hit it 240.  I have to laugh at some of the people on this web site and many other people who claim to hit it 280 plus yards.  The average golfer with the exception of maybe some of the head professionals on this site are over estimating their drives by at least 2o plus yards.- I am glad that a lot of the guys on here are being honest.

At first glance, it seems to me that this post is intended to call people liars.  One must be very careful in that approach as it could easily offend people.  Honor and integrity should be held in the highest regard.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 06:51:41 PM by Bryon Vincent »
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #128 on: November 21, 2008, 08:02:56 PM »
I average about 250 carry and roll combined. 

A little over a year ago, I did a driver fitting to get "optimized".  I ended up with a 9* with an S flex, and did in fact pick up 15 yds. or so, but in EVERY direction!  That club didn't last long...

So now, I'm back to a 12* driver with a flex in between an S and an R, and happily hunting short grass.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Steve Lang

« Reply #129 on: November 21, 2008, 08:40:09 PM »
 8) The older I get, the longer I used to be..  225±10 now, when i was a 5-6 index 10 yrs ago, it was 245±10 yds

but yesterday it was 235-250.. love those slopes
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 11:27:21 AM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Jon Heise

« Reply #130 on: November 21, 2008, 09:09:40 PM »
As long as I dont quack one, 260-280 is a fairly regular range for me.  There are occasional 310 and 190 yd drives too.  :-\
I still like Greywalls better.

John Moore II

« Reply #131 on: November 21, 2008, 11:08:25 PM »
Someone will need to point out where the change came. I just looked in a copy of the USGA Handicap Manual and it still has the 250-470-690 numbers. And this is from the 2008-2011 manual. I mean, something might be wrong, but those are the numbers, directly from the USGA website.

TEPaul

« Reply #132 on: November 21, 2008, 11:19:36 PM »
"Re: How far do you drive it?"

If I really want to step on it I can get it way the hell out there but if I want to play strategically I'd say I max it out around 217! Unless I can get some real F&F and then I'd say 239.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #133 on: November 22, 2008, 11:25:01 AM »
Someone will need to point out where the change came. I just looked in a copy of the USGA Handicap Manual and it still has the 250-470-690 numbers. And this is from the 2008-2011 manual. I mean, something might be wrong, but those are the numbers, directly from the USGA website.

JKM:  those are the current numbers.  I guess you misunderstood my statement about a change being made...The numbers were LESS than that a few years ago; that is, the change to which I refer changed it from lesser numbers to those you see now.  I don't recall exactly when the change happened, but I think it was in the 2006 revision.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 11:27:25 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #134 on: November 22, 2008, 11:38:47 AM »
I was just wondering, are we talking the average of your drives or how far you sometimes hit the ball?

Rick,

If you look at my first post, I noted my own inconsistencies - so how about this

Swing Good - 260 yds                                                  9%
Swing Bad (well average more and more) - 230 yds 90.9%
Swing Perfect and Get Help - 300 yds plus!                   0.1%
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #135 on: November 22, 2008, 01:25:10 PM »
I'd say my average carry is around 275 and on a good day 295. (John Conley can confirm)

I shocked even myself by carrying the entire length of the water on 17 at Calusa Pines with a helping wind which was around 350 yards accounting for the dogleg. Have had some big big drives at Superior National in Lutsen, MN as well that were downhill as well (370ish).

That being said I'd give up 20-30 yards to hit my irons with more accuracy and consistency.

I'm an A+ scramble player with my length and short-game though which is a sad claim to fame for a golfer. Room for improvement though.

Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

John Moore II

« Reply #136 on: November 22, 2008, 02:48:45 PM »

JKM:  those are the current numbers.  I guess you misunderstood my statement about a change being made...The numbers were LESS than that a few years ago; that is, the change to which I refer changed it from lesser numbers to those you see now.  I don't recall exactly when the change happened, but I think it was in the 2006 revision.

Tom--I am not trying to argue, but I have seen those same numbers for as long as I've been in golf. Like we have said, maybe John VB can comment here, but I think those 'par' distances have been the same for quite a while.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #137 on: November 22, 2008, 08:29:22 PM »
Jeff F:

Thanks for weighing in given your close proximity to players to top caliber.

Like I said previously, real distance is based upon what you carry the ball consistently in the air -- ground yardage is quite inconsistent and will depend upon the nature of the turf and how dry it plays at a given time of year.

Ash Towe

« Reply #138 on: November 22, 2008, 10:38:23 PM »
On the 18th hole at my home course there is a bunker 210 from the tee.  I can still carry it but it is not guaranteed.  Advancing years are beginning to catch up.
I have played with Grant Saunders and he hits it beautifully.  I f you get the chance to play with him, take it.

Pat Burke

« Reply #139 on: November 23, 2008, 01:24:52 AM »
Upon further review...  Played Victoria (Riverside CA) today, and on the 14th, was told by my host that the carry was 277 on the left side.  Got all my chins and cheeks into a good one, but up the right side (an additional 5-10)  I am now certain that 277 + carry is a NO GO!

Tim MacEachern

« Reply #140 on: November 23, 2008, 07:25:14 PM »
My best drives, 230 carry and usually around 30 roll.  Average probably about 210-215 carry.

This question has me thinking about course layout.  There are only four holes on my home course at which you could get a good idea of your carry distance viewing from the tee -- that is, fairly straight drives where you can see where the ball lands.  We have a lot of doglegs and hidden landing areas.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #141 on: November 24, 2008, 09:30:54 AM »
How far do I drive it?

Into the bunkers that used to be out of reach for me but are now irrelevant to the best players.
Cave Nil Vino

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #142 on: November 24, 2008, 10:13:33 AM »

Tom--I am not trying to argue, but I have seen those same numbers for as long as I've been in golf. Like we have said, maybe John VB can comment here, but I think those 'par' distances have been the same for quite a while.

JKM - I concur the par distances have not changed; however I do know we made slight changes to the distances we use for course rating a few years ago.  The changes may have been in the defined carry and roll.   In any case they weren't significant enough to change the defined par distances; but they did change for how we did course rating.

My point does remain that the system does continue to get tweaked; we can expect a new revision to the course rating manual in 2012 season for sure, sooner if they decide massive changes are needed for some reason.  It's not out of the realm of possibility that they would tweak the distances again; and if they did so more significantly, defined par distances would have to change also.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 11:20:54 AM by Tom Huckaby »

John Kirk

« Reply #143 on: November 24, 2008, 11:19:43 AM »
I will say this:

I feel sorry for everybody who has done the swing anaylsis/optimization thing.  'Cuz once you're optimized, you've got nowhere to go but down.

I love knowing that I play with an old, outdated driver, that probably hits the ball with the wrong trajectory, with the wrong spin rate, with a shaft that's probably wrong for me, that's probably the wrong length...probably with the wrong ball, too...I see nothing but upside for that day when distance starts to matter.  That's a day I'm starting to see and I'm glad I saved that ace in the hole for when it matters.

Weep for me.

The swing optimization confirmed what I had already determined through feel.  Light, standard firm shaft.  My previous driver had a 55 gram shaft with a 6.0 stiffness.  New driver (meaning 3 years old) after optimization exercise was 53 gram with a 6.0 stiffness.  It proved to me that a player can intuit the proper fitting.

JESII

« Reply #144 on: November 24, 2008, 11:31:42 AM »
...or at least fit his swing to his equipment...

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #145 on: November 24, 2008, 12:18:44 PM »
I play a 7.5 degree Ping G5 which I still hit too high. I've been hitting a lot of fairways with an average carry of 240 to 260 depending on the day. Every so often I have days where I'm piping it an extra 20-30 yards. If I play with Jon Spaulding, I figure on being 20-30 yards behind him. >:(

If I swing out of my shoes I can hit it over 300, but I'm more likely to hook one into the junk at about 220. At the King's Putter this year, that 220-yard hook was the only shot I had.

The real tragedy is that my 150 club is a sky high 5 or 6 iron that spins back upon impact. Can't figure that one out...
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

John Kirk

« Reply #146 on: November 24, 2008, 12:20:15 PM »
Probably both, Jim.

I have never been able to get Titleist driver airborne, and I attribute that to a stiff, heavy shaft and the way it is connected to the clubhead.  I've always hit Callaways well, likely because of lighter shafts and the small amount of shaft inside the clubhead.

Gotta go for a few hours.

John Moore II

« Reply #147 on: November 24, 2008, 03:22:45 PM »

JKM - I concur the par distances have not changed; however I do know we made slight changes to the distances we use for course rating a few years ago.  The changes may have been in the defined carry and roll.   In any case they weren't significant enough to change the defined par distances; but they did change for how we did course rating.

My point does remain that the system does continue to get tweaked; we can expect a new revision to the course rating manual in 2012 season for sure, sooner if they decide massive changes are needed for some reason.  It's not out of the realm of possibility that they would tweak the distances again; and if they did so more significantly, defined par distances would have to change also.

Fair enough. I did not realize you were talking about the course rating manual. I did not know that had changed either.

Steve Lang

Re: How far do YOU drive it? New
« Reply #148 on: November 24, 2008, 07:38:25 PM »
...or at least fit his swing to his equipment...

nail hit on the head by Jim Sullivan's simple post..

a wise old clubmaker showed me back in 1994 how I and most folks fit or adapt themselves to their clubs.. measured my clubs and watched my swing.. then gave me a big bag loaded with a bunch of random marked test clubs (3-5-7-9) and said go to the range, swing away for a couple of hours, and find the ones that hit or play the best.. compare to existing clubs.. after about two hours I'd narrowed them down.  Upon return we checked the specs of old versus range found clubs and found length and lie and shaft stiffness differences of note..  never played stock clubs since..

p.s. was a 12 index when that occurred. got down to a 5.3 after due diligence.. more than half of that improvement was due to clubs helping consistency
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 07:55:07 AM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back