News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pritchett

Palm Beach Country Club
« on: November 23, 2008, 09:47:30 PM »
A friend of mine played there today and said it was an amazing, well preserved Ross course. 

I should have asked him if the experience was a "10"!   :)

I was curious and did a search here and didn't find anything.  Then I looked through the Confidential Guide, Bradley Klein's "Discovering Donald Ross" and Michael Fay's "Golf as it was Meant to be Played" and all I could find was it was designed by Ross in 1917. 

I would appreciate any information about this course.

Ryan Farrow

Re: Palm Beach Country Club
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 10:01:06 PM »
I will be in West Palm Beach Thursday till Tuesday.

Not sure if that helps. :D

The Everglades (Raynor) is just south of it , anyhow I wonder how it stacks up to Seminole, but at 6,100 yards according to golf link, who knows what to expect.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 10:28:22 PM »
Palm Beach CC and Everglades are much more than miles apart from each other. They are in different worlds. :D
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Adam_Messix

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 11:44:28 PM »
I've played at PBCC twice, but it's been a while so my memory may be a bit hazy.  It's a nice solid Ross course on a surprisingly rolling (by Florida standards) piece of property on the North side of Palm Beach.  Par 3s have tremendous variety from the long 2nd to the really short 4th with nice variety in between.  I think #8 is a drivable par four that is easy to make a mistake on but looks so docile.  I seem to remember that 3 and 11 are strong holes.  The only hole that I didn't like were 6 which was a long par four with a hard dog leg to right with out of bounds on the right side of the driving zone (the maintenance building)..my guess is that this hole has been changed.  You have to fit your tee shot in on 18 with water on the right side of the driving zone.  Greens have nice contouring. 

Very difficult to gain access to play, but is worth it if you can. 

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 01:32:49 AM »
Par 69, short, sporty course, ancient membership, wealthy Jewish club, emphasis on the wealthy, very chartiable membership, nice pro shop
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 07:47:28 PM »
Mark,

It has surpisingly diverse topography considering it's in Southeastern Florida.

Not quite the dramatic elevation changes found on the holes at Seminole, but probably more substantive elevation changes than 99 % of the courses in southeastern Florida.

I would put it in the membership-sporty category.

Steve Shaffer,

You meant Galaxies, not Worlds, didn't you ?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back