News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Buck Wolter

GCA Legal Defense Fund
« on: November 20, 2008, 11:09:35 PM »
This poor groundskeeper could use our help -- he should get a friggin medal not be arrested. Killing a skunk with a golf club is one of the bravest things I've ever heard of. I hope the judge is a golfer (insert your own caddyshack joke here).

Skunk killed with golf club in Stratford
Associated Press
November 19, 2008
STRATFORD, Conn. - Stratford police have arrested the groundskeeper at the Mill River Country Club, accusing him of beating a skunk to death with a golf club.

Police say 19-year-old Kadeem Palmer is charged with cruelty to animals. He was released Tuesday on a promise to appear in court.

The charges were filed after a woman complained that she saw Palmer at the golf course taking swings with a golf club at a skunk.

Police said they went to the course's maintenance shack and confronted Palmer who allegedly admitted killing the skunk.

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

RJ_Daley

Re: GCA Legal Defense Fund
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 11:18:54 PM »
Geez, this whole peta and political correctness stuff is just gone nuts.  If he'd have plinked the skunk with a .410 he'd probably get a citation for discharging a gun within the muni limits.  And, you trap the skunk Bunky, I ain't going near that cage!  :-\
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 11:26:12 PM »
McFiddish!!

Do you know what I just saw??

How about "Excuse me sir ...but if I kill all the skanks they're going to lock me up and throw away the key"
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 08:12:53 AM »
You can't kill an animal just because you find its defense system offensive.  The other night a 95 year old gentleman, the oldest to ever play in the World Series of Poker, crapped himself at the table and refused to leave.  Security was called and he was forcibly removed leaving a trail of tears as he left the room.  Disgusted, an older Asian woman declared the man revolting and wondered out loud how such a thing could happen.  I asked her if she had ever been married to a caucasian man to which she replied in the negative.  She was surprised to learn that we all crap ourselves, some just more than others.  Kadeem needs at the very least to go through some intolerance training before he Skakels another innocent being.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 09:35:53 AM by John Kavanaugh »

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 09:20:48 AM »
Around these parts this year was especially bad for skanks. They must've killed a dozen. Some with 22's a few with vehicles and one with a golf cart. For those who may need to know if you shoot them in the head they are gauranteed to release. But if you shoot'em in the heart they won't. The damage these critters do to a GC is as bad or worse than a racoon.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mike Hendren

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 09:25:09 AM »
For those who may need to know if you shoot them in the head they are gauranteed to release. But if you shoot'em in the heart they won't.

Adam,

I don't even need to consult with Barney:  Such knowledge qualifies you for a battlefield promotion to full Hillbilly Tour membership.  Welcome.

Bogey
Tour Secretary
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

John_Cullum

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 09:26:27 AM »
For those who may need to know if you shoot them in the head they are gauranteed to release. But if you shoot'em in the heart they won't.

How do they react to a 5 iron in the neck?

Really, this guy is an idiot. If you are going to take up skunk hunting, do it from afar
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Mike Hendren

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 09:29:31 AM »
I now distinctly recall in my early playing days watching Dad club a poor mole to death at Dyersburg Muni.  I think the first blow killed it, but Dad seemed to relish the next dozen or so.  Classic Wilson Staff blades are well-suited for the task with their sharp lines and no hybrid can replace the two-iron for such bludgeonings.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 09:31:11 AM »
I Skakeled a snake once.  It felt like it took fifty blows before I was satisfied with its demise.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 09:35:01 AM by John Kavanaugh »

John Moore II

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 09:55:28 AM »
Yes, I have killed a few snakes as well, but never anything larger. Certainly this guy needs a medal for even trying to get that close to a skunk. I certainly wouldn't have. He'd have gotten death from afar with a good rifle. Oh well, they'll likely just get him with some kind of misdemeamor and he'll go on his way, small fine or something.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 10:46:16 AM »
You can't kill an animal just because you find its defense system offensive.  The other night a 95 year old gentleman, the oldest to ever play in the World Series of Poker, crapped himself at the table and refused to leave.  Security was called and he was forcibly removed leaving a trail of tears as he left the room.  Disgusted, an older Asian woman declared the man revolting and wondered out loud how such a thing could happen.  I asked her if she had ever been married to a caucasian man to which she replied in the negative.  She was surprised to learn that we all crap ourselves, some just more than others.  Kadeem needs at the very least to go through some intolerance training before he Skakels another innocent being.

John,

Another classic. A true scholar.

Anthony

tlavin

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 10:50:00 AM »
Where's Loudon Wainwright III when we need him?

Chuck Brown

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 11:25:56 AM »
What club did he use?  I think that I'd go with a choke-down 5.  Six-iron might do it, but that's one that you do not want to be short on...

As for other weaponry, a .22 works good, but it really needs to be a head shot.  The reason I like a .22 is the noise aspect.  And, it is quite sporty to try for a kill with a .22.  Use a 3x or 4x scope, and if you can, get a semi-auto for faster shooting.

A 20 ga., loaded with 6's, is really much more efficient.  With a 20 double-barrel, you have nothing to worry about.  If anything is moving after one barrel (likely just wind moving a dead tail), the second barrel will be the end.

Also, very important; a pre-dug hole is very, very important when you need to take care of a skunk infestation.  You don't want to start digging if you already have a dead skunk that required three shots with a .22 and which ran 50 yards into some bushes before croaking.  Very bad. 

Hope this was helpful. :D

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 04:06:39 PM »
McFiddish!!

Do you know what I just saw??

I always thought it was MacFiendish. Kind of a play ish on words ish.
It was on TV here just last night. Cindy Morgan is still way hot.
For the first time ever, I actually thought Rodney Dangerfield is just plain annoying.
cheers,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 04:26:01 PM »
Where's Loudon Wainwright III when we need him?

This one wins the award for the best obscure humor on GCA for the year.  :D

Not sure I should be proud of it, but I had that 45 when I was a kid.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 06:05:12 PM »
please fill in the joke for the rest of us ;D

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2008, 07:04:01 PM »
Jay,
Remember- 'Dead Skunk'.. in the middle of the road?
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2008, 08:29:08 AM »
I hate skunks. A buddy of mine hit a skunk with his car, had to sell the car
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Joey Smith

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2008, 10:31:50 AM »

Adam,

I don't even need to consult with Barney:  Such knowledge qualifies you for a battlefield promotion to full Hillbilly Tour membership.  Welcome.

Bogey
Tour Secretary

Now I don't care who you are - That's funny right there.  You the man Bogey!!!
I've only seen one that really stinks...but I seen a lot of really good ones...

Adam Clayman

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2008, 10:35:59 AM »
Bogey, I cannot take full credit for sharing the information. I'm no Hillbilly as I failed the test this summer when I was unable to sustain my lifestyle given just a modicum of rusticity. I do however have coffee every morning where animal experts are present and they were kind enough to share the above info. They prefer to be called rednecks, BTW.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Steve Lang

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2008, 10:48:29 AM »
 8) Adam, are you referring to the night in Grandpa's trailer?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Joey Smith

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2008, 11:29:18 AM »
I Skakeled a snake once.  It felt like it took fifty blows before I was satisfied with its demise.

John - Reminds me of a comment from the guy who taught my concealed carry permit class - - -

"Any man that deserves to be shot  - ought to be shot at least 5 or 6 times..."
I've only seen one that really stinks...but I seen a lot of really good ones...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back