News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Boon

Re: Future Walker Cup sites
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2008, 06:47:18 PM »
It's not just the prestige of hosting it that appeals to them -- the lack of crowds and the lack of disturbance to the membership are equally appealing.

When I played with a member at Notts GC (Hollinwell) last year he said that a lot of the improvements they were having done were because they were interested in hosting the 2015 Walker Cup, and I know a lot of people now refer to the new back tees that have been put in as the Walker Cup tees? Don't know if any decision has been made yet though?

The member did though say he knew most members were not too keen because of the disturbance and crowds it would bring???

Cheers

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

J_ Crisham

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2008, 07:31:57 PM »
Mike Davis told me a couple of years ago that something like 40 clubs had invited the USGA to host the Walker Cup in 2013.  It's not just Chicago and National -- it's the only event that Pine Valley, Cypress Point, SFGC, LACC, etc. would want to have.

It's not just the prestige of hosting it that appeals to them -- the lack of crowds and the lack of disturbance to the membership are equally appealing.

Interesting, I went to both Chicago 2005 and Royal County Down 2007, and there appeared to be twice as many spectators at RCD.  Could just be the terrain, but there did appear to be more interest in Ireland.

Maybe people just couldn't find Chicago Golf Club, it's really tucked away in that neighborhood.

Parking is a problem everywhere you mentioned.  We had to get into Chicago GC on a USGA shuttle.  RCD had plenty of off course parking.

I'd rather go to the Walker Cup than any other event, although the Open at St Andrews was a lot of fun.
Bill,    Some of the greatest competitive golf was seen at Chicago Golf in 2005.  I also was at the event both Sat and Sunday. Just an amazing feeling being right in the fairway during the matches. I agree that the gallery in 2005 was small but that made the experience that much more special. My hope is that all Chicago area golf nuts know exactly how to find Chicago Golf-my car starts to lean hard when driving thru Wheaton! ;)                 Jack

Adam_Messix

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2008, 08:55:11 PM »
I would be interested to know whether they chance hole locations after each session, using four hole locations for the matches and not two...  This occurs at the Ryder Cup. 

ChipOat

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2008, 09:57:48 PM »
Prairie Dunes would be excellent.

How does Pasatiempo sound?

How does Garden City sound?

Haven't been to Sand Hills; the golf course is unquestionably a-ok but is there surrounding infrastructure?

LA Country Club would also be excellent but I'd be surprised if they're interested.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2008, 10:02:01 PM »

When I played with a member at Notts GC (Hollinwell) last year he said that a lot of the improvements they were having done were because they were interested in hosting the 2015 Walker Cup, and I know a lot of people now refer to the new back tees that have been put in as the Walker Cup tees? Don't know if any decision has been made yet though?

The member did though say he knew most members were not too keen because of the disturbance and crowds it would bring???

That's interesting, James, there are tees at Nairn (1997?) referred to as the "Walker Cup tees."  They were tucked way back of the medal tees on at least half a dozen holes.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2008, 12:16:03 AM »
How would Ballyneal work?

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2008, 04:52:39 AM »
That's interesting, James, there are tees at Nairn (1997?) referred to as the "Walker Cup tees."  They were tucked way back of the medal tees on at least half a dozen holes.

I have a couple of shots of a young Luke Donald playing Nairns 15th in 1999 here :

http://uk.youtube.com/profile?user=GullyCup&view=videos
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 04:55:49 AM by Brian_Ewen »

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2008, 06:53:34 AM »
Royal Aberdeen...

I wonder if they will be doing more work at the course. I used to play it all the time but haven't for years.

When I was playing, the back tees were at 6,300 yards... Recently, I saw that the back tees were at 6,800 yards... I have no idea whether there was substantial work involved to increase that length... Anyone know?

Anyone know if there are any future plans?

Rich Goodale

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2008, 07:58:33 AM »
Ally

I was last at RAGC about 18 months ago.  Most of the new length/changes have been made to the back nine which has been significantly altered by Donald Steel.  IMO the front nine is still the heart of the course, but the back nine is improved from what it was, recognising that the land on which it sits is inferior, and maybe modern design tehniques and strategy were needed to move it towards a worthy inward half.

rich

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2008, 02:50:39 PM »
Rich

I was last at RA in 2005 not long after the Seniors British Open.  Were the changes made for that?

After playing the front nine into a strong breeze it was a relief to turn for the back nine!
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2008, 09:30:42 PM »
Ally
The changes seem to be happening to the Ladies course (a Braid) , which will lose holes to make way for a range ...........and probably better car parking for the men  ::)

There was an article on it , earlier in the month , which I am having trouble finding at the moment .

Rich Goodale

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2008, 06:31:18 AM »
Rich

I was last at RA in 2005 not long after the Seniors British Open.  Were the changes made for that?

After playing the front nine into a strong breeze it was a relief to turn for the back nine!

Andrew

I think it was 2005 last time I played there, and the new holes on the back nine were being grown in (maybe one or two were in play, can't remember).  I was up there last year walking the course, and the new holes were there, even though I didn't look at them closely, as my visit was in connection to my magazine article on Archie Simpson, whose contributions to the course architecture were mostly on the later holes on the front nine.

Rich

PS--Brian

That is sad news regarding the "Ladies" course.  It is a superb relief course (as are those of it's neighbours at Cruden Bay and Murcar).  I may just call my friends at RA and ask them politely, "WHAT THE F**k!!!!

j-p p

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2008, 12:33:48 PM »
As much as I am loving the fact that the Walker Cup will be held on my doorstep , as with Nairn , there will be consequences for local golfers .

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/910363/?UserKey=

Balgownie golfers to vote on plan to cut Silverburn course
Published: 29/10/2008

Royal Aberdeen Golf Club’s second course could be cut from 18 to nine holes to make way for a new practice facility.

A plan to make ground available for an upgrade of the facilities by reducing the Silverburn course from 18 to nine holes will be voted on at an extraordinary general meeting of the members in the new year.

Improving the Balgownie practice facilities has been on the agenda of successive Royal Aberdeen councils for years and reports on the subject were commissioned from golf course design firm Donald Steel and company in 1993 and again in 2003.

This year, another company, Martin Hawtree and Son, was asked by the club to report on whether it would be possible to construct a practice facility while retaining 18 holes on the Silverburn.

The report said this was not possible and if the club wanted to create a modern and useful practice ground, the most logical location would be on the site of the second, third and fourth holes on the Silverburn.

The plans include:

A practice ground 330 yards in length, running from approximately the location of the fifth tee of the Silverburn course towards the present third green on the number two course.

A four-hole practice course on the ground currently occupied by the first, fifth and sixth holes over the Silverburn.

The retention of the short-game practice area.

A longer and much improved nine-hole Silverburn course.

A practice green and chipping area next to the Aberdeen Ladies clubhouse.

In a letter to the Royal Aberdeen members, club captain David Davidson has said the proposed development would not be completed until after the Walker Cup – the biennial amateur match between Great Britain and Ireland and America’s best amateur players – is staged at the course in 2011.

Davidson stated: “These proposals would also free up land capable of increasing the available car parking spaces, which is now becoming a problem at weekends when cars are now resorting to parking on the Silverburn.

“Council recognises that this is an emotive issue which will arouse strong feelings.

“It has long been acknowledged that our practice ground is well below the standards of the remainder of the club’s facilities. Council believes for a practice facility to be viable, it should be situated close to the clubhouse for security purposes and to enable it to be used easily for warming-up and tuition.”

Royal Aberdeen Golf Club, founded in 1780, is the sixth oldest golf club in the world.

It has no female members but the Aberdeen Ladies Golf Club clubhouse is close to the first tee of the Silverburn course.

Aberdeen Ladies’ silver division players pay higher subscription fees than the bronze division because they are permitted to play over the Balgownie links, while the female players with higher handicaps are restricted to the shorter 4,021yd par-64 Silverburn course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back