News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ian Andrew

Welcome Ed Homsey
« on: November 20, 2008, 09:19:00 PM »
I just wanted to let everyone know that Ed Homsey has just joined the discussion group.

Ed founded the Walter Travis Society and is the leading expert on the architecture of Travis. He has seen just about every course designed by Walter and played a major role in Bob Labance's fantastic book The Old Man.

The Travis Society has remained very pure to its goal of a comprehensive list of his work and the sharing of Travis information and research with anyone interested in Travis. There are many members of the Society including myself who for an incredibly cheap price ($30.) get regular newsletters and emails about new discoveries. There are a number of architect members is excellent since each person working on a Travis course has enjoyed the benefits of Ed's help and has joined to offer their support.

Ed is as nice a guy as anyone you could ever meet – and real knowledgeable too - so I hope people make an effort to get to know him and learn a little from Ed going forward.

p.s. and maybe Ed might complete his interview for Ran one day – just teasing you Ed!

Anthony Gray

Re: Welcome Ed Homsey
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 09:22:10 PM »

Ed, 

Welcome. I hope in two months your family still recognizes you.

Anthony

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 09:36:32 PM »
Welcome Ed...glad to have you here.

The work of Walter Travis is greatly underestimated and underappreciated and I'm looking forward to discussing many topics with you.

PThomas

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 09:50:39 PM »
welcome Ed

one of my most memorable days of golf was playing Ekwanok on a perfect suuny fall day when the colors were at theire peak...unforgettable
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

John Foley

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 11:42:42 AM »
Ed,

Welcom and enjoy.

Glad to see another Rochestarian aboard!!
Integrity in the moment of choice

George Pazin

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 01:33:31 PM »
As far as endorsements go, they don't get any better than Ian's... :)

Welcome to the site, Ed, please don't be shy.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Ed Homsey

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 02:26:35 PM »
wow!!  i was just thinking, why not take a peak at gca and see what's happening today.  seeing my name pop up in the topics was the last thing i expected.

thank you, ian.  i deeply appreciate your thoughts, though i felt you may have been overly generous.  i'm very reluctant to consider myself an 'expert' in anything, much less travis architecture.  you're the man i look to for an understanding of it all; and, i can't tell you how much i've appreciated the opportunity to learn from you.  those days, on a golf course, walking along and listening to your analysis of the course are priceless memories. 

i appreciate your plug for the travis society.  after nearly 15 years at this, i still kick a kick out of learning about 'the old man'.  still a lot of stuff out there to find and read.  and, there's little more satisfying than having the opportunity to respond to questions of various sorts about travis.  i welcome those.  there are many times when there's no apparent answer to those questions, but they often trigger a new thread of research.  basically, that's what the travis society is about; gathering knowledge and understanding about travis, and sharing it.  bob labbance was my mentor--and friend.  i miss him deeply.

paul, re ekwanok.  the first time i was there, on a bright late fall day, it brought tears to my eyes--standing on that first tee.  it's the shrine. 

john--we'll have to get together for a round on a nearby travis course.  appreciate your membership in the society.

i agree completely, mike, regarding your thoughts about travis.  his influence on the development of our game and its playgrounds is not fully recognized or appreciated.   that's an unbiased view, of course.

anthony--i get your point.  and, my wife concurs.

thanks again, ian.  you've added some incentive for me to get back to work on that 'featured interview'.

ed

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 03:36:48 PM »
Yes, welcome Ed.
Ed. you were very helpful to me when I wrote an article on Water Travis for our SAGCA Golf Architecture magazine's series on Great Australian Golf Course Architects. We still claim him as an Australian for these purposes! I'll look forward to your contributions on GCA
regards
Neil

Dave_Miller

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 03:48:20 PM »
I just wanted to let everyone know that Ed Homsey has just joined the discussion group.

Ed founded the Walter Travis Society and is the leading expert on the architecture of Travis. He has seen just about every course designed by Walter and played a major role in Bob Labance's fantastic book The Old Man.

The Travis Society has remained very pure to its goal of a comprehensive list of his work and the sharing of Travis information and research with anyone interested in Travis. There are many members of the Society including myself who for an incredibly cheap price ($30.) get regular newsletters and emails about new discoveries. There are a number of architect members is excellent since each person working on a Travis course has enjoyed the benefits of Ed's help and has joined to offer their support.

Ed is as nice a guy as anyone you could ever meet – and real knowledgeable too - so I hope people make an effort to get to know him and learn a little from Ed going forward.

p.s. and maybe Ed might complete his interview for Ran one day – just teasing you Ed!

Ed
Welcome. Come often and post frequently and try not to pay too much attention to TEPaul and Pat Mucci ;)
Best
Dave

Ed Homsey

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 05:59:44 PM »
to Neil:

Thanks for your comments, Neil.  That was a terrific article!  The Travis Society has been of assistance in the development of many articles over the years, but none as spectacular in design and content as yours.  The magazine occupies a very special place here in Travis Society headquarters.  I just checked, and its still there.  Your acknowledgement of the Society's assistance was greatly appreciated. 

Hope all is well for you in Australia.

Ed

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 08:32:27 PM »
Thanks for the kind words about the article Ed - much appreciated. Its great to hear it isn't gathering dust in a carton somewhere!
All is good here thanks.
Neil

TEPaul

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 08:36:49 PM »
Ed:

I hadn't seen this thread until now but I just saw you mentioned on another thread you were the Travis Society archivist.

Great to have you on here.

As I say to most all new contributors----welcome to GOLFCLUBATLAS.com where every day is like a barroom brawl on Friday night in Dodge City just after the cowboys got paid!  ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back