News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Future Walker Cup sites
« on: November 19, 2008, 04:23:00 PM »
Does it get any better than this?

I knew 2009 will be at Merion and just hope it doesn't conflict with the Buda Cup.   Just looked it up, Walker Cup is September 12-13 and I think Buda is in October.

2011 - Royal Aberdeen

2013 - National Golf Links (returning for first time since 1922 event)

The Walker Cup is a truly outstanding event to attend.  Morning foursomes, afternoon singles on Saturday and Sunday, reasonable crowds, easy to see the players at close range.  The quality of golf is outrageously good and the young players are fun to watch.

The Anthony Kim - Gary Wolstenholme singles match at Chicago Golf Club in 2005 was the best match I've ever followed.  Kim outdrove GW by 80 yards on every hole but GW won 1 up with the best course management I've ever seen.

Merion - Royal Aberdeen - NGLA.  Could it get any better?  ;D

Tom Huckaby

Re: Future Walker Cup sites
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 04:25:47 PM »
Sure it could get a little better, but not much.

That is very cool.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 05:24:40 PM »
The reason I think it's so cool is that 2011 is in Scotland which might require a trip over there!  And it's not far from Cruden Bay and Murcar, neither of which I've seen yet.

And then there's Nairn and Dornch not far to the west........... ;)

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 06:07:00 PM »
The Walker Cup is the event I'd love to see at Deal, the club is a long term supporter of amateur golf, has the infrastructure for the event and it would be a huge honour to join the very exclusive club of Open, Amateur and Walker Cup venues on both sides of the Atlantic.

I believe top private clubs in the US that wouldn't dream of hosting a major amateur or pro event line up to host the Walker Cup.
Cave Nil Vino

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 06:31:21 PM »
The Walker Cup is the event I'd love to see at Deal, the club is a long term supporter of amateur golf, has the infrastructure for the event and it would be a huge honour to join the very exclusive club of Open, Amateur and Walker Cup venues on both sides of the Atlantic.

I believe top private clubs in the US that wouldn't dream of hosting a major amateur or pro event line up to host the Walker Cup.

You bet, Mark.  Chicago Golf Club and National Golf Links, are two clubs that would never dream of hosting anything but a Walker Cup.  At least that's what it appears.

Chris Kane

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 07:27:13 PM »
You bet, Mark.  Chicago Golf Club and National Golf Links, are two clubs that would never dream of hosting anything but a Walker Cup.  At least that's what it appears.

You don't think they'd jump at the chance to host a Skins Game?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 07:45:43 PM »

You don't think they'd jump at the chance to host a Skins Game?

Probably not.  And definitely not the Ryder Cup!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 08:47:31 PM »
Mike Davis told me a couple of years ago that something like 40 clubs had invited the USGA to host the Walker Cup in 2013.  It's not just Chicago and National -- it's the only event that Pine Valley, Cypress Point, SFGC, LACC, etc. would want to have.

It's not just the prestige of hosting it that appeals to them -- the lack of crowds and the lack of disturbance to the membership are equally appealing.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 10:13:50 PM »
In my view, it's really, really cool that clubs such as Pine Valley, Cypress Point, SFGC, and LACC are reportedly thinking that hosting a Walker Cup is, in fact, prestigious. It is. And, the desire of such clubs to host this historic event really, really helps to uphold the prestige of amateur golf championships in general.

I was terribly disappointed, a number of years ago, when my home club could have hosted the Canadian Amateur championship to celebrate its 100th anniversary, but turned the offer down, principally on the grounds of financial incentive. The powers-that-be were instead desperately after a Canadian Open... which was a pipe dream.   
jeffmingay.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 10:31:59 PM »
Mike Davis told me a couple of years ago that something like 40 clubs had invited the USGA to host the Walker Cup in 2013.  It's not just Chicago and National -- it's the only event that Pine Valley, Cypress Point, SFGC, LACC, etc. would want to have.

It's not just the prestige of hosting it that appeals to them -- the lack of crowds and the lack of disturbance to the membership are equally appealing.

Interesting, I went to both Chicago 2005 and Royal County Down 2007, and there appeared to be twice as many spectators at RCD.  Could just be the terrain, but there did appear to be more interest in Ireland.

Maybe people just couldn't find Chicago Golf Club, it's really tucked away in that neighborhood.

Parking is a problem everywhere you mentioned.  We had to get into Chicago GC on a USGA shuttle.  RCD had plenty of off course parking.

I'd rather go to the Walker Cup than any other event, although the Open at St Andrews was a lot of fun.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 05:58:03 AM »
The attraction for me is that you can get so close to the players and play. You can walk round with a match if you wish or watch each match come through a particular hole. Car parking has been easy at those UK venues I've been to. And you see many of the stars of the future. It is the courage of the players which so impresses me. There is a lovely atmosphere, too, as most spectators are golfers themselves who appreciate the amateur game and matchplay in particular. I enjoy the Curtis Cup, and Amateur Championships too, and at a local level I try to go to the county championships.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 06:10:18 AM »
Bill - The Board member I played with at Chicago was also telling me how much further Kim was hitting it against Wolstenholme. I believe Kim hit the front edge of #14? and 3 putted (oops) and also Wolstenholme had to play short of the first cross bunker on #17. He's a competitor though as Mr Woods found out at Porthcawl.

Cave Nil Vino

TEPaul

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 06:10:44 AM »
"I knew 2009 will be at Merion and just hope it doesn't conflict with the Buda Cup."

Bill:

If you think it does just let me know and I'll do my level best to try to get Merion, the USGA and R&A to reschedule the 2009 Walker Cup.

John Blain

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 08:18:32 AM »
I'm not sure that Cypress Point or San Francisco Golf Club would ever be considered for a future Walker Cup for the same reason the PGA Tour (AT&T) left Cypress Point  and the USGA no longer uses SFGC for U.S. Open sectional qualifying - they are both discriminatory clubs.

-John

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 08:43:25 AM »
"I knew 2009 will be at Merion and just hope it doesn't conflict with the Buda Cup."

Bill:

If you think it does just let me know and I'll do my level best to try to get Merion, the USGA and R&A to reschedule the 2009 Walker Cup.

Thanks, Tom, I appreciate that.  However, I checked and the Buda Cup is in October, no conflict.  Will we see you there at Deal and Royal St George?  ??? ;D

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2008, 09:01:55 AM »

Bill:

Thanks, Tom, I appreciate that.  However, I checked and the Buda Cup is in October, no conflict.  Will we see you there at Deal and Royal St George?  ??? ;D

Bill

I don't know where you checked but Buda is September 22nd to 24th inclusive.  Please see http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,36332.0.html

It still doesn't clash with the Walker Cup but the dates are a bit closer.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Rich Goodale

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2008, 09:05:16 AM »
I'm not sure that Cypress Point or San Francisco Golf Club would ever be considered for a future Walker Cup for the same reason the PGA Tour (AT&T) left Cypress Point  and the USGA no longer uses SFGC for U.S. Open sectional qualifying - they are both discriminatory clubs.

-John

Are Chicago, County Down and NGLA models of inclusivity?  Just wondering.....

Lester George

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2008, 09:58:39 AM »
Bill,

I think Kinloch Golf Club would be a great venue for the Walker Cup.  The Vinny connection and the course seems to me to fit well.

Lester

Bill_McBride

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 11:32:26 AM »

Bill:

Bill

I don't know where you checked but Buda is September 22nd to 24th inclusive.  Please see http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,36332.0.html

It still doesn't clash with the Walker Cup but the dates are a bit closer.

Whoops, now I have to make a choice!

Ken McGlynn

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 01:35:56 PM »
Now I understand this would play right into the competitive hands of the GB&I team, but why not bring a future Walker Cup to the Bandon Dunes Golf Resort?

Mike Keiser is on record with the USGA that he'd welcome such an opportunity. So what if it leveled the playing field having the competition on a true links golf course. The USA women had little trouble in winning the 2006 Curtis Cup at Pacific Dunes.

Having walked 10 holes at Old MacDonald a few weeks ago, I'd go out on a limb and say let's showcase this new links with arguably the finest amateur team event in the world. Old MacDonald will have enough length to combat the young amateurs bombing ways and will make for a great match play golf course!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2008, 01:38:43 PM »
I doubt anyone would disagree that the Bandon resort would be a fantastic Walker Cup site.  The toughest decision would likely be choice of specific course.

However, read Tom Doak's post... although Bandon definitely has good relations with the USGA recent Curtis Cup and Mid-Amateur, don't you think for Walker Cup they have some rather big names they're standing behind in line?

BTW I was present for a small part of the 1981 Walker Cup at Cypress Point.  Left early to go play golf.  Snot-nosed teenager....

TH

Tom_Doak

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2008, 02:07:42 PM »
Ken:

I am sure the Walker Cup will be invited to Bandon, but Tom H. is right, there are a lot of clubs standing in line there.  That's why I suggested they invite the Curtis Cup first.

I am not sure that Old Macdonald will be long enough to "combat" the long-hitting top amateurs of tomorrow.  Then again, it will be longer than National, Chicago, Cypress Point and most of the other courses mentioned so far.  (Don't ask me how long, yet, I really don't know.)

Michael Ryan

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2008, 02:42:01 PM »
I would love to see a thread started where folks on this site would like to see the hole placements during the competition at the '13 WC at NGLA.  With only two days of competition and those large greens, I'm sure there will be some exciting opportunities left out.  Having made only one trip around NGLA, I'm not educated enough on the possiblities, but I know the brain trust is present on GCA to get a healthy discussion.

brad_miller

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2008, 06:11:14 PM »
Back to Pine Valley because it is Pine Valley. Out to Prairie Dunes for many reasons one of the most important that they have been giving back to the USGA for years.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2008, 06:28:52 PM »
I would love to see a thread started where folks on this site would like to see the hole placements during the competition at the '13 WC at NGLA.  With only two days of competition and those large greens, I'm sure there will be some exciting opportunities left out.  Having made only one trip around NGLA, I'm not educated enough on the possiblities, but I know the brain trust is present on GCA to get a healthy discussion.

Start one, Michael, but not all have been fortunate enough to be able to play there.  I was and wow, what a golf course.

#1 - there is a knob on that green sort of back left center that is diabolical.  But there are probably half a dozen places where you would prefer the hole not be located!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back