News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

Re: Kiwi Challenge- Kauri Cliffs
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2008, 03:14:12 PM »
Wow, previously I had thought that I couldn't tell all that much difference in watching regular analog TV and HD, other than what I thought was marginally better detail.  I have an older projection large analog TV that still works fine, so I only have a 22inch HD in another room.  I never can tell that much dif watching that one or switching from analog to HD.  But those photos are impressive, Joe.  Thanks for sharing them.  I missed yesterday's KC but I won't miss CK today.  ;D

If you have trouble seeing the difference between analog or even digital SD and an HDTV that is really set up properly, then you need your eyes checked.  Really.

Even my buddies that have a HDTV and come over to my place always comment on how my set seems so much better than theirs.  Well, not all HDTV's are created equally.  And IMO one of the very best HDTV's, the one I have, is no longer for sale by Sony:  the 200 pound behemoth KD34XBR960, yes, one of the old fashioned CRT sets.  And I paid for one of the very best calibrators in the country to professionally tune it to be ideal.  Did you know most sets you buy you can't really tune them up properly from the front panel adjustments (aka those adjustments on your remote)?  You need to get into the service menu to really make it sing.

If you can get yourself one of these XBR960's on Craig's list or wherever (I've heard of them going for as cheap as 300 bucks), without too much usage, I say go for it if you have a smallish viewing room.  A 34" set isn't going to work well in a gigantic room where your viewing distance is say 12+ feet.  Then get Gregg from lionav.com to come out and tune it up (it takes him about 2-3 hours).  Then also get your viewing lighting correct.  It all makes a difference.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

RJ_Daley

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2008, 06:09:00 PM »
The ones I've been looking at at the men's toy store (Best Buy or Circuit City) are the DLPs.  Everytime I see one of them next to the LCDs, I feel they are better pics, particularly when they are showing sports field turf nd golf.  What do you folks think of DLPs compared to LCDs?  They have the light tubes that are supposed to go 60K hours now in the newer DLPs. 

Sorry to take this thread a bit off course.  But, the CK thread is the current chat on the subject anyway?  ::) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2008, 06:44:15 PM »
Maybe Tom Doak can answer this when time permits or if someone else knows. It appears from TV that players would be smart not to challenge too far (not counting what Brent S did in the telecast with his 3rd shot there) with their 2nd shots on #15.

I have to wonder has the hole been reached in two blows and what the circumstances were when they happened -- if so. It appears from the telecast that any breeze was a headwind for the players on #15. Is that the general prevailing wind -- the final holes all seemed to be climbing uphill but the distance players had left for their approaches was quite short. Would it be fair to say that those holes played a bit downwind?

Many thanks for anyone who can post detailed info.

Kudos to the Robertson clan for having such a unique event -- the location was truly the main story.

One final thing -- the Doak layouts is easily beyond Kauri Cliffs from what I could see via TV -- more design details with the holes and more interesting shots to be played.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2008, 07:00:07 PM »
I watched the coverage and it was indeed good viewing.

Really loved how diabolical that teeny green on the short part 4 was...I think #14.  Super wide fairway but have to challenge that right side with a front right pin.  A. Kim chip was just insane good from that angle he had.

Also liked that those guys wouldn't go anywhere near that pin on that PW short par 3...good stuff.

Daryl David

« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2008, 09:59:55 PM »
One final thing -- the Doak layouts is easily beyond Kauri Cliffs from what I could see via TV -- more design details with the holes and more interesting shots to be played.

I think the two days of viewing really pound home the point of how much can be done with a  site from a design perspective.  Both sites are dramatic, but what Tom has done at Kidnappers is so much more interesting than Kauri.   The wide landing areas, avenues for a running shot up to the green, diabolical putting contours and superb bunkering.  Take away the views and you still have outstanding golf holes.  Just so much more interesting than what JK called the "bail right, left dead and repeat" of Kauri Cliffs.  I don't mean to disrespect Kauri as it is a fine course, but it really suffered from the contrast with Kidnappers.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2008, 11:02:24 PM »
I watched the telecast for both days tonight.  Wish I could have seen the first 9 on each course, but based on what I saw of Kauri Cliffs, I found myself wondering how much golf balls cost in New Zealand....

Jason Topp

« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2008, 12:27:07 AM »
Echoing the comments of others, each of the holes seemed nearly identical - right to left slope, death left, room to bail out right.  Even the inland holes (such as 10-12) appeared to follow this pattern. 

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2008, 10:57:29 AM »
Any one know if this telecast is likely to be shown in the UK?
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Joe Bausch

« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2008, 11:39:16 AM »

Dec 27 and 28, Primetime, Setanta

is what I see on www.thekiwichallenge.com web page.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2008, 07:27:34 PM »
Really loved how diabolical that teeny green on the short part 4 was...I think #14.  Super wide fairway but have to challenge that right side with a front right pin.  A. Kim chip was just insane good from that angle he had.

I thought the same thing.  Then three of the four players made 3.  Snedeker played the whole ideally.

WW

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2008, 05:48:37 AM »

Dec 27 and 28, Primetime, Setanta

is what I see on www.thekiwichallenge.com web page.

Joe

Thanks for that.  As I don't subscribe to Setanta I'll have to be content with your screen grabs ;D
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back