News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re: A Quote for the Ages?
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2008, 07:09:55 PM »
" I seriously doubt that if any two tennis courts in the world play the same."

JohnK:

Really? Well what do you know about that? Who'd have thought it? Have you built any good REDAN tennis courts?

Sean_A

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2008, 07:10:54 PM »
Sean,

Haven't you ever gone out to play by yourself and made two birdies in a row and really want to make that third or fourth until the run eventually ends.  I think that is competition, not goal achieving.

I once had a guy tell me that an architect screwed up because he attempted a number of six irons from 90 yds that did not work.  What he does not understand is that same shot works from 200 yds because the ball must already have momentum at the 90 yd mark to utilize the ground contour properly.  The intent of the hole is to hit wedge from 90 yds.  Putter will also work from 90 yds...his conclusion was pure idiocy that I continue to prove wrong year after year.

John

Of course I want to do well, but if I am playing by myself who am I competing with?  I think you, like many on this site, fail to understand the meaning of competition.  I think folks use the word "competition" for lack of a better way to express themselves when they are out for a bit of fun or practice by themselves.

I am not doubting that there are better shots to be played in certain situations or that perhaps there isn't a best shot to be played, but that isn't quite the same thing as saying the archie didn't intend... One of the marks of a great course is that all sorts of shots can be pulled off.  Hence the idea of recovery being one of the most fun shots in golf.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2008, 07:46:02 PM »
" I seriously doubt that if any two tennis courts in the world play the same."

JohnK:

Really? Well what do you know about that? Who'd have thought it? Have you built any good REDAN tennis courts?

Tennis courts should be built like redans because drainage is very important.  The first court I ever designed and built was more of an alps.  It sure could drain but it is currently under wheat as it was unplayable.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2008, 07:48:39 PM »
Sean,

Haven't you ever gone out to play by yourself and made two birdies in a row and really want to make that third or fourth until the run eventually ends.  I think that is competition, not goal achieving.

I once had a guy tell me that an architect screwed up because he attempted a number of six irons from 90 yds that did not work.  What he does not understand is that same shot works from 200 yds because the ball must already have momentum at the 90 yd mark to utilize the ground contour properly.  The intent of the hole is to hit wedge from 90 yds.  Putter will also work from 90 yds...his conclusion was pure idiocy that I continue to prove wrong year after year.

John

Of course I want to do well, but if I am playing by myself who am I competing with?  I think you, like many on this site, fail to understand the meaning of competition.  I think folks use the word "competition" for lack of a better way to express themselves when they are out for a bit of fun or practice by themselves.

I am not doubting that there are better shots to be played in certain situations or that perhaps there isn't a best shot to be played, but that isn't quite the same thing as saying the archie didn't intend... One of the marks of a great course is that all sorts of shots can be pulled off.  Hence the idea of recovery being one of the most fun shots in golf.

Ciao

I don't quite understand the use of the term recovery absent competition.  I sounds kinda like rubbing spit in the eye of a man who can see.

TEPaul

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2008, 07:56:52 PM »
"The first court I ever designed and built was more of an alps."

JohnK:

You actually "designed" a tennis court?? I'm impressed. Did the routing return to the referee's stand between sets or was it one of those old fashioned out and back layouts?

Have you done any really good strategically optional parking lots lately?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 07:59:17 PM by TEPaul »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2008, 08:03:17 PM »
TE,

Have you ever asked your driver to ride shotgun and taken the wheel yourself?  The strategy of parking lots is deserving of a thread of its own.  Even in golf proper parking can have a huge inpact on the success or failure of a course.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2008, 08:40:42 PM »
I'm still pondering how a perfectionist goes about having a cord struck.

:)
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

JSPayne

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2008, 12:01:56 PM »

...but if I am playing by myself who am I competing with?  

Ah Sean.....fail not to remember the classic philosophical battles (i.e. competitions) man vs. man, man vs. nature and MAN VS. HIMSELF.

Luckily, golf combines all three? Maybe this should qualify it for an award. :)
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E. Cummings

JSPayne

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2008, 12:02:44 PM »
I'm still pondering how a perfectionist goes about having a cord struck.

:)

I guess it takes JK........ ;D

Or I guess my more immediate response would have been.....

....Very Carefully. :)
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E. Cummings

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back