News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re: Colorado GC to host PGA in 2014?
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2008, 04:42:36 PM »
I would guess that most pros would favor the right fairway on 16. The real difficulty of that second shot into the green (it seems to me) is the forced right-to-left shot shape it requires and the length of carry, neither of which would be too problematic for the pros.

Peter - I concur - the preferred shot in is indeed right to left shape, to hold it up against the left hillside, easier to keep it on the green negating the significant left to right slope.   And you're right, carry over hazard is no issue for them, nor would length be.    Right fairway is directly at the hole, and shorter... so it would seem that you're correct, most would go right.  BUT.. what if they keep the right fairway narrow enough to give these guys second thoughts in terms of penalty for missing the fairway?   Perhaps then might it be split between those going left (easier tee shot, worse angle) and right (harder tee shot, better angle)?

That's what I'm thinking.  But thinking like a pro is also not my forte.

TH

Seth Berliner

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2008, 05:07:24 PM »
As reported at:

http://www.examiner.com/x-1339-Denver-Golf-Examiner~y2008m11d13-Future-PGA-Championship-may-be-played-at-Colorado-Golf-Club-in-Parker

and

www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2008/11/14/ben-and-bill-design-to-get-a-major.html

Looks like CGC will be hosting a major before 2014.  It will be officially announced on the 20th but they have been awarded the Senior PGA in 2010.

Great for CGC and great for the state!

Carl Rogers

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2008, 05:38:58 PM »
The PGA Championship is the only major event that has the opportunity to go out and do something adventuresome (the USGA at Chambers Bay is an exception), and they should do something out of the ordinary.

I would like to see something other than the standard 4 rounds of medal play for the PGA Championship.

Looking at the web site for the course, the bunker depth does not look severe enough for plus 6 golfers.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2008, 08:58:52 PM »
John,

I look at it differently. I think the PGA Championship is differentiating itself from the other majors by hosting the event at modern courses, such as Whistling Straits, Kiawah, and perhaps Colorado GC in the near future.

This is more interesting -- at least to a spectator interested in golf architecture -- than seeing the PGA played at places like Oakland Hills, Oak Hill, Winged Foot, et al only a few years following a US Open played at the same club.

I rather liked Oakland Hills...I just hated the rough that strangled the place.  had they cut it, there would have been even more interesting fwy contours in play and more interesting approaches.  You have to admit, when the rain came, and softened it up, scoring lowered, the tournament got interesting, and better players were able to put the hammer down and make a move.

Lets just hope they dont try to ramp up C&Cs green speeds to 15 and strangle the place with rough just to make sure even par wins.

By the way...as a bonus...we get to play Pradera on thurs and sat a.m. before going to cover/watch the tournament in the afternoon :)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 09:03:19 PM by Jay Flemma »

John Nixon

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2008, 07:23:58 AM »

Am I alone in my observation that as far as the PGA is concerned who wins matters as much as where played if the club hopes to gain any lasting substance. 

You're not alone.
From that perspective, I firmly believe that Crooked Stick has only recently started to "recover" from John Daly's win.
Almost from the Sunday pairings you could predict it would be a "one and done" course.  Daly, Lietzke, Gallagher Jr., Knox, and Jay Don Blake seem to be nice chaps, but they are not exactly ready-made for sepia tones and goose-pimply walks down memory lane.

Well, they'll be opening a new Hall of Sepia in the clubhouse as soon as Loren Roberts crushes the field in next year's US Senior Open there.   ;)

Mark_Fine

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2008, 08:38:10 AM »
I love the golf course but after playing it found it not as tough as I first thought it would be when walking it during construction.  It is fun to play and offers lots of variety and shot options.  I'd like to see it conditioned more toward the firm and fast and "less green" look but that is coming.  This will help increase the challenge and make it even more interesting to play. 

Tony Gorski

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2008, 02:33:15 PM »

I'm looking forward to the PGA at CGC.  I've had the pleasure to play several times, including the member/guest......with a gentleman who had just played in the US Sr. Open @ Whistling Straits and said the condition and greens of CGC for the M/G were more difficult.  As several have said, it'll be interesting to see how they alter the course to increase difficulty.

The 2nd hole is one of my favorite par 3s....

And I'd hate to think they would have to make it play 8200+ to gain respect.  If we're not careful, the yardage for the PGA in 2020 will be higher than the Dow Jones...

And as a member of Bear Creek, I feel your pain Tom H.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2008, 03:59:35 PM »
Tony - maybe you knew/know my friend Rick Schmitz?  He was a member of the Bear... I played it with him many times.  Oh yeah, if they wanted to really test the pros they'd have them play the Bear.   ;D

But CGC will do just fine.

And yes, good call re #2 - very cool hole - wonderful green.

TH

Kirk Gill

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2008, 04:23:36 PM »
For comparison's sake, here's a picture of the second hole while under construction:

"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tony Gorski

Re: Colorado GC to host Senior PGA in 2010 AND PGA in 2014?
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2008, 11:50:11 PM »

Tom H - Rick Schmitz doesn't ring a bell, but I just joined this year.  Have met some great guys.  To be honest, I think they need to change the layout of a few holes as they are too penal.  Nonetheless, it's a great club and most of the members are solid, humble, golf enthusiasts.  I think the average member handicap is a 9 or 10......which is saying something at that track.

Kirk - Excellent pic of #3.  I'd love to grab a copy from you as it's one of my favorite par 3's.  To me, CGC deserves all the good press it's getting.  From the tips, it's not only challenging, but as soon as I'm off 18, I don't want to stop.  The sign of a great course.

I especially like the par 3 course.  Some very good hole layouts.  May be one of the best Par 3 courses in the region.

Ski.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back