News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

The spotlight has been on Macdonald this week, thanks to David Moriarty's In My Opinion piece. So it continues with this update of the Mid Ocean profile.

Some folks are surprised to learn that this 1921 island work of Macdonald's leaves the cliff line at the fourth and doesn't return until the seventeenth. In that stretch, though, the holes play across remarkable terrain. Ala Cypress Point, the most photographed holes tend to be along the ocean while some of the best are inland with the great Cape hole being in a class all by itself. As usual for a Macdonald course, sound strategy is found throughout with every hole having genuine interest knocked into it.

The only thing missing relative to his very best works and that of his protégé Seth Raynor may be fairway width and the accompanying playing angles. Recent tree clearing by both man and hurricane have opened up long views and increased the playing options. Holes like the second, eighth and seventeenth are all better/more interesting than just five years ago. Yet, to see a twisting fairway like the tenth narrow down to thirty yards is a puzzler. In fairness to the Club, an old black and white photo of the eleventh fairway shows it to be a relatively narrow chute back in Macdonald's day. In Scotland's Gift, Macdonald praises fairways in the forty five to sixty yard range. I just don't know if Mid Ocean ever obtained that ideal?

Ironically, there may be too much Bermuda rough on this course. Ten plus yards of rough comes out from Mangrove Lake at the fifth and yet that is where the most level lies are found - why not maintain to within a few yards of the Lake as fairway? I don't know.

I also don't know how this course, especially with its new TifEagle greens, doesn't make it onto GOLF Magazine's world top 100 list. Its combination of world class holes and no weak holes plus the ever present wind make it a very powerful mix, one that certainly kept the pros at bay at the 2007 PGA Grand Slam.

Fancy new island courses open every year yet have you played one that comes  close to this one? If so, where? Don't the modern courses tend to sacrifice good golf for great views? Of course, just classing it relative to island courses is too narrow. Well traveled people like Ben Wright consider it their favorite course period, small wonder when you see some of the thirty plus photos in its revised profile.

Cheers,

mark chalfant

Ran,

Thank you  for  illuminating  the brilliance   of  Mid  Oceans  inland  holes. I will  take  Mid Oceans  consistently interesting  incoming nine over that  of Pebble Beach  any day. The  green surfaces on this  Bermuda gem look  lovely as well.  Did  jim Craig  do some restoration work  here   ?   

Craig Sweet

Ran, thank you...simply stunning!
LOCK HIM UP!!!

J Sadowsky

Ran,

That is so beautiful.  A course I've always wanted to play, and unless I die too young, I completely intend to.  Those photographs have made my day stuck in an office a little more cheeful.

Alan Carter

Ran, I'm with you. 

It's a wonderful and extremely enjoyable golf experience.  Lot's of character great variety and fun for players of all skill levels.  Certainly one of the best in all of the islands.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 11:28:14 AM by Alan Carter »

BCrosby

Ran -

I've had the pleasure of playing Mid-O many times. It is indeed a wonderful course. Over the years holes that I once thought were mediocre (the 6th, 8th, 11th and 18th) I ended up thinking were quite interesting. They don't live up to their famous brothers, but they are holes with a lot more character than first meets the eye.

You ask if there are other courses in the Carribean as good. Probably not, but I discovered Carambola (St. Croix/RTJ/1962) recently. It is a very, very good course. RTJ at his ornery best. It is not routed for the big views. There are some conditioning issues. But it is one of the best RTJ courses I've played. Largely unchanged from its original design. Not to be missed if you are visiting St Croix.

Bob

KBanks

Thank you Ran. Can we now have the profile of Chicago Golf Club again as well? :)

Ken

Robert Kimball

What a pleasure Mid Ocean was to play. Truly one of the best golfing days of this hacker's golfing career.  :)

Thank you Ran for the profile.

Mike Sweeney

How good is Mid Ocean?

It is one of my favorites, but much of that has to be due to its location in Bermuda and its ocean view holes. Once we get past the views, is it as good as National, Fishers, Piping Rock, Yale and Camargo (so I hear). No it is not.

Is it as good as MPCC, The Creek, Mountain Lake, Sleepy Hollow and Yeaman's. Arguments can be made for and against each of these, so it sits solidly in second tier MacRaynor status, IMHO.

Tom_Doak

Mike S.:  I would disagree with your second-tier assessment.  They are all second tier next to National, but I would rather play Mid Ocean than Piping Rock or Yale or Camargo, and not just because of the surroundings.

Mark C:  My company did the greens restoration work over the course of three years.  The first year, Bruce Hepner did the final shaping work, and the third year it was Jim Urbina; for the middle six greens, all of my associates were occupied, so we managed to enlist Jim Craig to do the work.

Jfaspen

Great profile Ran..

The inland holes do look more interesting than the ocean holes which should probably be the goal of any project with a similar property. 

Of all of the courses profiled on this site, this is a top 5 experience for me.

Perhaps an official GCA trip in the future?

Jeff

J Sadowsky

I'd be down for a GCA trip, although in complete cheesey twofer status, we probably should wait till next year when Port Royal re-opens.   The 16th is one of my favorite golf holes ever.

Does anyone know anything about Tucker's Point?

Mike Sweeney

Mike S.:  I would disagree with your second-tier assessment.  They are all second tier next to National, but I would rather play Mid Ocean than Piping Rock or Yale or Camargo, and not just because of the surroundings.

It was more of a question and based on your view (especially Piping Rock) I need to go back. This is one that I can talk my wife into.

Tomas Hannell

Since Ran came to town, more trees are gone. Marked and ready to drop next are the casuarinas between the 5th and 6th. While the look is slowly reverting to the old days, I agree with Ran in that the narrow fairways border on the ridiculous when one considers how the course would play if it was [properly] mowed. Nos 5 and 10 stand out in "missing the point", but the mowing patterns are off throughout the course. It is still a wonderful place to have a game, but there is room for easy improvement.

Tucker's Point... is next door. But across the tracks in every way. Interesting, perhaps, for the golfer who likes taking a cart. There is more interesting and fun golf to be had, I think, at any of the other courses on the island, including the Oceanview ninehole track.

PThomas

what a course...Ran's pictures are so beautiful...I hope i can get back!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back