News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JMorgan

Love for the Loveless: The Most Underrated Colt & Co. Course
« on: November 17, 2008, 09:18:19 PM »
Win: Moor Park High
Place: Moor Park West
Show: Broadstone

What says you?

Mark Pearce

Re: Love for the Loveless: The Most Underrated Colt & Co. Course
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 02:06:02 AM »
I'd have to nominate Brancepeth Castle and The Northumberland GC.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 03:29:19 AM »
Since I don't believe Southerndown is rated, that is my candidate to win. 

I have not seen the course in many years, but my faded memory was touched up not long ago by Paul Turner pix.  Portrush Valley isn't rated so I pick it to place.

I would have to pick Whittington Heath to show. 

The one course which always intrigued me is Blackmoor.  I haven't seen it, but in my mind's eye I imagine a very good course, plus some knowledgeable folks say its a goodun'.

Ciao

« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 03:56:20 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Rich Goodale

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 03:38:22 AM »
Sean

I love Southerndown, but it is much a "Colt" as Cruden Bay is a "Tom Simpson."

As for Portrush, it is hardly loveless or underrated.

Outside of a few of us wingnuts on this forum, the Eden Course is the least loved and most underrated course that I know of, Colt or otherwise.

Rich

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 03:58:54 AM »
Sean

I love Southerndown, but it is much a "Colt" as Cruden Bay is a "Tom Simpson."

As for Portrush, it is hardly loveless or underrated.

Outside of a few of us wingnuts on this forum, the Eden Course is the least loved and most underrated course that I know of, Colt or otherwise.

Rich

Rich

Its true that Southerndown is a Colt redo and I don't have any clue how much Colt is there.  I think someone stated that its more or less equal measure between Fernie, Fowler & Colt.  Maybe Paul knows the story. 

I am gonna have to give the Eden a go at some point.  The odd thing is I don't have any memories of even seeing a single hole of the course, but I am not sure that is possible after a handful of visits!

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 04:10:58 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Rich Goodale

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 04:13:09 AM »
Sean

Next time you play the Old Course look to your right on 13-15.  That's the Eden.

rich

BCrosby

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 08:42:33 AM »
Rich -

Interesting about Eden. I had always understood it to be pretty chopped up. I have passed it over twice in favor of The New and wondered each time about the wisdom of the decision. I will not make that choice again. Eden was certainly well thought of in the day.

Has the Trust shown any interest in restoring the missing Colt holes? I can think of all sorts of reasons why a restoration would be a good thing, not least of which is relieving some of the pressure on TOC.

Bob

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 10:41:53 AM »
There is not a lot of Colt left on the Eden. The first two and last two holes were lost to the Practice Range and the reconfigured course is relatively charmless.

If people are visiting Scotland, I may recommend Longniddry before the Eden. Here the last holes are not Colt (due to changes made after the War), but the rest provide enough interest to warrant a visit.

Alternatively, in England, Blackmoor is very good and well worth the visit.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 10:47:49 AM »
Bob

As Scott says, the holes taken over by the driving range will "never" be restored.  Of the other ones lost, most exist in some form on the revised course and some could be re-coltified.  There is even an NLE hole out there by the estuary which could be recouped.  Regardless, the 11-12 Colt holes that are out there are worth the detour.

J-P

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 10:50:08 AM »
I say Alwoodley.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 10:56:08 AM »
Sean

Noel and I thought that Southerndown's back 9 is pretty much all Colt, this is just from various reports and stick routings.  Not sure if he did any detail work on the front.

Blackmoor has some super greens.  The only downside  is that it's a bit cramped and the club has chosen to use internal OB down a couple of parallel fairways; not a tactic most of us agree with here on GCA.  The par 3s are all fine if a little similar, the 6th is really built up like the 7th at St Germain with a big false front.  The 18th is a beauty to finish with.   The 5th has a really neat green site.

I like all the choices suggested.  But please forgive me for harping on again:  much of Moor Park's character came from some beautifully sculpted hazards and these have been almost bulldozed into obliteration in recent years.  The West has more character than the High.

I think the very best Colt courses that aren't really well known, or at least didn't used to be until GCA came online:  De Pan, St Germain and Toronto.

Others that get little to no notice and are very good :

Harborne, Canterbury, Camberley, Thorndon Park, Brokenhurst Manor, Meyrick Park, Manchester, Portrush Valley, Belvoir Park, Wentworth East, Whittington Heath and Leckford.

top of the list to see: Old Elm, Prestbury, Brancepeth and Belfast.

Bob

The links trust would have to forgo the driving range.  I wonder if it brings in too much cash?  But did green fee take on the Eden suffer after the redo.  The walk from town is much less convenient and then of course virtually nobody likes the Steel holes.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 10:59:25 AM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Paul_Turner

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 10:58:04 AM »
There is not a lot of Colt left on the Eden. The first two and last two holes were lost to the Practice Range and the reconfigured course is relatively charmless.

If people are visiting Scotland, I may recommend Longniddry before the Eden. Here the last holes are not Colt (due to changes made after the War), but the rest provide enough interest to warrant a visit.

Alternatively, in England, Blackmoor is very good and well worth the visit.

Eden is still two thirds Colt.  (As is Longniddry.) 
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Rich Goodale

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 11:45:41 AM »
I say Alwoodley.

Marceau

Thinks thee that the Mackenziphiles have misunderestimated Colt's contribution to that fine course?

J-P

Mark Pearce

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 11:47:30 AM »
A reminder that Colt fans can sample two of his lesser known works buy joining us for the proposed June North East England get-together which takes in Brancepeth and The Northumberland. 
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

tlavin

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 12:22:10 PM »
Knollwood Club, in north suburban Chicago (Lake Forest) doesn't get a lot of love...

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 12:29:01 PM »
I say Alwoodley.

Marceau

Thinks thee that the Mackenziphiles have misunderestimated Colt's contribution to that fine course?

J-P

M Parodi

Le sujet est Colt et Cie. Si rien d'autre, Colt a protégé la conception de Mackenzie, mon ami. Colt l'assister la defense par le grand Mackenzie!

Ugh, mon Francais, ce n'est pas bon.  Mais vous me comprenez, oui?

Offense a la outrance, toujours,
Marceau Marcel

Dan Moore

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 12:46:02 PM »
Knollwood Club, in north suburban Chicago (Lake Forest) doesn't get a lot of love...

Terry,

Even if its 100% Alison and not Colt, does Knollwood deserve more love?   
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

BCrosby

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 12:53:15 PM »
Mark -

Je ne t'ai pas compris. Tu voudrai dire que MacKenzie ne merit pas le credit pour le dessin d'Alwoodley? Peut tu t'exprimer en Englais, peut etre?

Edith Piaf

« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 12:58:13 PM by BCrosby »

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2008, 01:06:39 PM »
Sacre bleu, encore mon Français mauvais m'a dans l'ennui.  (Cela va sans dire.)  J'ai voulu dire pour dire Mackenzie etait défendu par Colt.

Donc, je vous prie, dites Rich de s'arrêter avec le nom de plume "Jean-Paul Parodi."

Assez déjà! Ce Français est me massacre...(ou: "massacre moi." J'oublie.)

Je suis plein,
Mark

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2008, 02:52:00 PM »
A reminder that Colt fans can sample two of his lesser known works buy joining us for the proposed June North East England get-together which takes in Brancepeth and The Northumberland. 

Mark,

What are the details about this trip? I may be interested...

scott

Rich Goodale

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2008, 04:01:45 PM »
Sacre bleu, encore mon Français mauvais m'a dans l'ennui.  (Cela va sans dire.)  J'ai voulu dire pour dire Mackenzie etait défendu par Colt.

Donc, je vous prie, dites Rich de s'arrêter avec le nom de plume "Jean-Paul Parodi."

Assez déjà! Ce Français est me massacre...(ou: "massacre moi." J'oublie.)

Je suis plein,
Mark

Bien sur, Marcel, mais c'est imposssible de parler en mime sur le reseau, n'est-ce pas?  PLR, regardez le Robert qui vous addresse avec le "tu."  Un petit peu du Dev Em, je pense.......

J-P

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2008, 04:23:19 PM »
Salopard! SVP, tais-toit, M Parodi...

Et quel est ce nom de plume "Jean-Paul Parodi?" Qu'est que c'est?! Vous me déroutez...

Joey Smith

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2008, 06:29:10 PM »
Speaking of the Loveless -

If your ever in Nashville you must try the Loveless Cafe.

Smack right between the Golf Club of TN and Belle Meade CC...
I've only seen one that really stinks...but I seen a lot of really good ones...

Rich Goodale

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2008, 07:42:21 PM »
Salopard! SVP, tais-toit, M Parodi...

Et quel est ce nom de plume "Jean-Paul Parodi?" Qu'est que c'est?! Vous me déroutez...

Mark

Smart-arse answer--"Far and Sure" was already taken
Real answer--it serves as a reminder of something important to me

PS--I promise no more franglais, for the time being, at least.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2008, 08:39:03 PM »
Thank God we can end the French.  Actually, can we end the French?  I've about had it with them!

Next time, Jean-Paul, can't you just tie a string around your finger?

Regards,
Far and Sure®

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back