News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Philippe Binette

Elegance in architecture
« on: November 17, 2008, 01:31:51 PM »
Hi,

just a little update on my website on one of my favorite course

http://www.inspirationgolf.com/Wild_Horse.html

Jeff_Brauer

Re: Elegance in architecture
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 04:02:10 PM »
Phillipe,

Some one once called elegance putting every thing there that needs to be there, and nothing more, or something to that effect.  Wild Horse could qualify in that regard as elegant.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 04:12:18 PM »
Philippe, Could not agree more. The rugged elegance seems to be for serious golfers, only. I was humored by the recent thread that asked for travel tips for some group of some posters friends and how Wild Horse wasn't considered worthy.

I happen know of one highly regarded modern architect who is there today. Perhaps we could get him to post his impressions?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 01:19:03 PM »
I've not been to Wild Horse, so I cannot make comparisons, but I think some of the our heathland courses have an elegance, such as Sunningdale Old, New Zealand, The Berkshire Red, Woking. They each feel as if they have always been there in exactly this form and that all the architect had to do was tell someone where to place the tee markers and pins.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 02:19:48 PM »
I should add Wild Horse to the thread about the best courses you haven't played. Rod Whitman and I walked it a few years ago, and both really regretted not teeing it up there. We were both very impressed with the course.

Garden City's another course I'd describe as elegant, along the lines of Mark's description of those lovely heathlands courses named above. I wrote an essay for Paul Daley's Golf Architecture, A Worldwide Perspective Vol. 4 titled, "Could We Successfully Build Garden City, today?" Sadly, I'm not sure we could due to the expectations of so many golfers and developers, who expect to be visually "wow'd" by superfluous features.
jeffmingay.com

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 02:45:33 PM »
For a different kind of elegance, my goodness but Donald Steel's Redtail sure seems elegant to me, in a Quaker furniture sort of way.

Peter

Gene Greco

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 03:04:21 PM »
     Friar's Head is a course I've always described to those who have asked as "elegant".

"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back