News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Re: Cape Kidnapper frame grabs
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2008, 09:22:42 PM »

Joe,

Thank you. Great job.

Anthony

Eric Smith

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2008, 09:27:48 PM »

Unbelievably beautiful golf course.  Thanks Joe B for the frame grabs.  These are the best ever!

I am soooo mad right now!  I was out blowing the leaves around my house for 5 1/2 hours today knowing there was nothing on TV.  I mean forgetting there was THIS on TV today.  What a numbskull...

I hope there is a way to watch it again.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2008, 09:33:17 PM »
Joe
Thanks for taking the time to do this .

Very enjoyable .

Joe Bausch

Re: CK frame grabs
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2008, 09:35:10 PM »
and there was me thinking we were getting a Calvin Klein underwear models (female, natch) thread at last...

FBD.

Dear FBD,

I gave you Mandy.  What more do you want?

Sincerely,
Barry Manilow
 ;D

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

John Mayhugh

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2008, 11:11:56 PM »
I really preferred Cape K.  Lots more width except for a couple of holes.  I'm not sure I could even bogey 15 more than half of the time.  Unless it's much wider than it looks on television.

14 was my favorite of the holes I saw. That has to be a blast to play.

Sean Leary

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2008, 11:48:08 PM »
I really preferred Cape K.  Lots more width except for a couple of holes.  I'm not sure I could even bogey 15 more than half of the time.  Unless it's much wider than it looks on television.

14 was my favorite of the holes I saw. That has to be a blast to play.

John,

I'm glad there was at least one great course in the world you didn't make it to this year ;)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2008, 11:57:36 PM »
How F*cking cool does CK look?

Very F*cking cool, I'd say.  ;)

Guy Nicholson

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2008, 12:17:08 AM »
As beautiful as these pictures are, the rest of New Zealand makes this area look like the parking lot of a disused Kmart. But what a Kmart!

As an aside, it's my guess that I'm the only member of GCA who has visited both Napier, NZ, and St. Andrews, Scotland, as an adult without playing golf at either. Anyone care to prove me wrong?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 12:22:51 AM by Guy Nicholson »

Matt_Ward

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2008, 12:18:36 AM »
Joe B:

Great posts and pics !

Gents:

Maybe Tom Doak can answer this when time permits or if someone else knows. It appears from TV that players would be smart not to challenge too far (not counting what Brent S did in the telecast with his 3rd shot there) with their 2nd shots on #15.

I have to wonder has the hole been reached in two blows and what the circumstances were when they happened -- if so. It appears from the telecast that any breeze was a headwind for the players on #15. Is that the general prevailing wind -- the final holes all seemed to be climbing uphill but the distance players had left for their approaches was quite short. Would it be fair to say that those holes played a bit downwind?

Many thanks for anyone who can post detailed info.

Kudos to the Robertson clan for having such a unique event -- the location was truly the main story.

One final thing -- the Doak layouts is easily beyond Kauri Cliffs from what I could see via TV -- more design details with the holes and more interesting shots to be played.

Have to wonder if Kauri Cliffs is the Old Head of New Zealand.

John Kirk

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2008, 12:40:55 AM »
Two unrelated comments:

I believe this type of publicity is very good for Tom.  This weekend's show was a like a really good Shell's Wonderful World of Golf.  I'm sure a lot of golf fans were tuned in.

The Roberston family has built a wonderful retreat for their guests.  It was nice to see the awards ceremony be a family affair, with son Alex handling the MC responsibilities.  Alex Robertson looked gigantic next to Hunter Mahan.  He's gotta be 6'5" if he's an inch.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2008, 12:55:35 AM »
Thanks for posting these.  The technology is well beyond me, and I really appreciate the effort.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2008, 01:35:45 AM »
It is rare that I can get my wife to watch a couple of hours of golf with me (not to mention that I watch very little golf unless I am interested in the course). She was as floored with the scenery as I was and NZ is definitely on the future sabbatical agenda.

I wish the wind was whipping a bit more so the teeth of the course could come about a bit more. Those guys are just SO bloody good. Nonetheless, CK looked like a lesson in how to route in order to maximize aesthetics, playability, and enjoyment for every level of golfer.

I am curious how much dirt was moved to make CK happen?

And what was the danger pay for the shapers when they were working on those fingers?!?!  :o

Also, and this is probably a stupid question, how is the Colonial Bent and Fescue blended for the fairways? ie) ratios, distribution technique, etc. I think KC was just Colonial Bent.

And finally - the fact that the commentators fit in that CK cost 1/2 as much and is 1/2 as expensive to maintain as KC was awesome. Hopefully some other archies who are not quite as frugal, were listening.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2008, 01:42:46 AM »
Yes, I also wondered about that bent-fescue blend in FWs.   Given that climate, I wonder if fescue can hold its own in the blended stand and not soon be dominated out.  I was thinking, though not as seasonally hot as Wild Horse in Nebraska that had originally intended all fescue greens surrounds and now has nearly over run dominante bents, that it may not be likely to keep a strong % of fescue for any period of time.  CK'sturf sward in FWs must be about 6 years old now...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jordan Caron

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2008, 02:12:53 AM »
John Kirk brought up a great point about how many people were tuned in.  I don't think many which is a real shame.  There wasn't much promotion from what I saw about the event and given it's football/nascar season, I wonder how many fringe golf viewers would have caught that.  I suppose events like this after the "Playoffs" aren't targeted at the fringe viewers anyways.  Which brings me to a side note, how dead is the Skins Game?  I caught a glimpse last year and no on was watching and the players they had were pretty dull (ie. Stephen Ames).  But lucky I have a PVR so I will be watching these two courses over and over again as the views look amazing.

I will be organizing a trip down there to play CK and KC among others so thank you Joe Bausch for providing me with these frames so I can use them as my main selling point!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 02:15:20 AM by Jordan Caron »

Ian_L

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2008, 04:29:56 AM »
Going back to the 18th, I think as a resort course the punchbowl works well as the last hole to give the player a higher chance at a good last shot at the green, even if he 3-putts.  While it might not be the very best idea as the last hole of a professional championship, I think the challenging green made it a good finishing hole (no birdies with 6 tries I believe?).  Or am I off base?

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2008, 05:27:01 AM »
As beautiful as these pictures are, the rest of New Zealand makes this area look like the parking lot of a disused Kmart. But what a Kmart!

As an aside, it's my guess that I'm the only member of GCA who has visited both Napier, NZ, and St. Andrews, Scotland, as an adult without playing golf at either. Anyone care to prove me wrong?

Sorry Guy.... I can prove you wrong. I was born in NZ (Wellington) been to Napier many many times (as a child and adult) and now live in Edinburgh and visit St Andrews regularly. If you had said you are the only 'American' member of GCA.... then you might be right.

And by the way, if anyone gets to visit Napier, there are two other nice courses in the area and LOTS of great vineyards!

scott

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2008, 05:45:35 AM »
Ck is light years ahead of Kauri. 

These guys were VERY lucky.  They played a tame Napper with little to no wind.

Anthony - let me assure you in a 25kt wind (not uncommon) there are holes at CK that even God can't play much less mid to high handicappers.

JC

Tom_Doak

« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2008, 07:26:49 AM »
The screen shots are awesome.  My wife went out and bought a new VCR to record the event while I was traveling, so I'll watch today.  It's a shame they didn't show more of the front nine on TV ... the players actually struggled a bit on the front, before Mahan started making putts and the rest had to chase him, it was kind of like an Olympic bicycle race.

Matt:  There are two winds.  The summer wind usually comes from the northwest, which is off the left and into you on holes 12 & 15; 13 is straight downwind, and 16-17-18 crosswind from right to left.  (I suppose it's a bit of a weakness that those last three holes all play the same direction, but it was sort of inevitable if you wanted to get out to 16 tee.  The fingers of land are slightly lower as you move from west to east, so playing a dogleg in that direction wouldn't have worked too well.)  The other wind, though, is a southerly ... the cold wind from the Antarctic ... and that's right in your face on those last three holes, and 1-2 as well.  As to your question about 15, the only person to reach it in two is Alex Robertson; he uses that big frame well, and he's had a lot of tries at it, and finally made it a couple of weeks before the event.

RJ:  The turf blend was almost identical to what we planted at Pacific Dunes, but the soils are WAY different, so it came up primarily Colonial bentgrass and it's been that way ever since.  For that reason, it's a bit harder to putt from off the green ... the three pros all tried that on #2, and none of them got down in two, and they all went to their wedges after that.  But, fast and firm is NO problem for Cape K.

PS:  My kudos to Bruce Hepner, who was lead associate for Cape Kidnappers, and his all-star crew of shapers which included Eric Iverson, Brian Slawnik (who hung out over the cliffs to dig those bunkers on 15), Brian Schneider, Chris Hunt, and Dan Proctor.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2008, 07:53:40 AM »
Tom D.,

My hat's off to Brian Slawnik, for digging those bunkers at the cliff's edge! Nice work  :o

Also, the 14th hole looks particularly well done, and interesting. I presume that green complex is inspired by the Road hole?
jeffmingay.com

Philippe Binette

« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2008, 08:07:44 AM »
Digging bunkers of the cliff's edge... At least it's easy to find a place to lose some dirt.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2008, 08:22:11 AM »
Or some labor expense.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2008, 08:26:33 AM »
Jeff:

Yes, the green on 14 is inspired by the Road hole.  One of Julian Robertson's requests to us was to do a little "D.A." style pot bunker somewhere on the course, and that gave me the idea for using that green design.  It is a nasty little hole ... going over that green is worse than being in the Road, as Adam Scott found out.  But Snedeker played the hole perfectly, and Kim and Mahan hit spectacular little shots after getting their drives out of position ... those two shots were the highlight of the tournament for me.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2008, 08:50:34 AM »
Tom,

I have to agree... watching the event on TV yesterday, I too thought that play at the 14th was the highlight. It was very interesting to watch all four players face very unique dilemnas at a short hole. I also loved the camera view of Kim (?) putting up to the hole from front left of the putting surface (just right of the pot bunker)... this is when I really thought about the Road hole! In fact, I faced a similar looking shot last time I was at St. Andrews.

That's a neat looking green complex, that clearly makes for a very interesting hole, tee to green. Nice job... in fact, congrats to you, and everyone involved with development of Cape Kidnappers. Overall, it looks like a very interesting -- and beautifully restrained -- golf course, created over an other-worldly gorgeous, albeit challenging site.
jeffmingay.com

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2008, 09:51:28 AM »
My wife went out and bought a new VCR to record the event while I was traveling, so I'll watch today. 

Tom-  A VCR, really?

It was amazing to see how much that small lone bunker on 14 in front of the green played on that hole.  Proving that less can easily be more.  Three of them drove over to the left within 50 yards of the green and had an impossible shot.  Kim however hit one of the best shots I have seen in a while to make birdie.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2008, 10:29:31 AM »
Funny, Chip... I was asking going to ask the same question of Tom: A VCR?!

Re CK's 14th... it was also cool to watch Snedeker's drive "skirt" the bunker right of the fairway and end up with an excellent angle to the day's hole. I wonder if he played his drive like that purposely? The others just seemed to bash it without care.
jeffmingay.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back