News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ChipRoyce

Re: Okay - So who should build the 5th and final course at Bandon?
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2008, 10:08:11 PM »

Us. The GCA discussion members. But remember a horse designed by commitee is a mule.

Another good saying....

'God so loved the world he didn't send a committee'

David_Elvins

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2008, 10:19:21 PM »
The fifth course should be called "Old Doak",
I have never liked Pacific Dunes as a name - too generic.  When Old Mac is completed, it would be logical for Pac Dunes to be refferred to as "Young Doak".   
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2008, 10:22:12 PM »
Pete Dye.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2008, 10:25:55 PM »
Keiser should have picked up enough ideas to do it himself.  The job isn't that hard.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2008, 12:16:52 AM »
No love for DMK?
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Shane Gurnett

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2008, 12:52:55 AM »
Tom Fazio.

Brett Morris

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2008, 01:15:35 AM »
Mike Clayton.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2008, 01:16:52 AM »
Based on what I have read about DMK he would love the opportunity to get back to Bandon again - it seems like he felt quite restricted in what he could and could not do with the layout vs TD and C&C (who brought a lot more experience to the table). Not that it hurt DMKs street cred since he has been able to work on some incredible projects throughout the world.

Of course every architect worth his or her salt would/should dream of having the opportunity to create something set upon land amongst that gallery of courses.

I think it would be interesting to do a "design competition" with a bunch of the architects (or teams of GCAs), many who have been listed already. The designs could be posted on a website and the GCA.com members could vote for the winner since there is no bias here . . .   ::)

Jim Nugent

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2008, 01:19:37 AM »
Matthew:

To create a course in Bandon that would play like Augusta National, you will first have to invent the world's biggest windscreen ... and hopefully you can harness all that power for public use.

The only ground left for a fifth course would be The Sheep Ranch, which is still in limbo and likely to stay there for a while.  My sense is that like the last two courses, Mr. Keiser already has an idea who he'll hire for that one, and all of the speculation will just be a waste of effort.

It would probably be more fruitful to speculate on who will build the next place of comparable quality to Bandon Dunes and where it might be.

Tom, where could you build a course that plays like the original ANGC?

Sounds like Keiser already knows what he wants to do with the Sheep Ranch.  Also seems to me that he wants to create more Bandon Dunes-like places.  Though I think it's unlikely that anyone builds another Bandon Dunes complex in the U.S. for many, many years, unless the economy makes a miraculous turn.

Is there enough land around Black Mesa for more courses, beyond the existing one, and the course you are designing?    

Mark_F

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2008, 03:31:55 AM »
Mike Clayton.

Good choice.  They could call it "Old #uckers", then.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2008, 04:30:10 AM »
I'd like to see it go to Clayton. Or Jeff Brauer.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Jim Nugent

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2008, 06:06:50 AM »
No one has suggested Jack Nicklaus.

Tim Gerrish

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2008, 12:56:04 PM »
Brian Johnson or Kevin Rich

Two friends of mine that are having a 'tough time' staying employed in this industry right now.

The 'rock star' status that some architects get (some of it justified) gets a little tiring.  Maybe we should institute a 'pr' cap so that self promotion/pr becomes a level playing field?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2008, 12:59:22 PM »
Tim,

What have your buddies done for us lately.  Please note that every architect who has "rock star" status on this site has given to the group, some collectively and some personally.  It is a two way street my friend.

Ash Towe

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2008, 01:51:53 PM »
How about Dave Axland and Dan Proctor?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2008, 02:01:36 PM »
How about Ron Whitten, Paul Latshaw and Philip Young with an architect to be named later.

Jim Tang

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2008, 02:16:31 PM »
I'll second Mike DeVries.  His work at Grey Walls and Kingsley Club is fantastic.  I like how DeVries allow you to use the ground to create shots.  This philosophy would fit in well at Bandon.

David Botimer

« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2008, 03:43:19 PM »
In July on the Beach Trail not far from the first tee at Bandon Trails there were a number of stakes marking some tees and maybe some greens (I don't remember for sure) for what I understand is a proposed par three course.

Mitch,

I caddied for Mike Keiser in August and he confirmed a routing for the par three course has already been identified.  After our round he was to walk it with his guests.

IMO it is the best piece of property for golf holes on the resort, with perhaps the exception of a few of the ocean holes on Bandon and Pacific.    I believe C & C are going to build it, and it could go all the way to the ocean (think below 17 on Bandon Dunes).  There could be some regulatory issues to resolve as that land  I believe had been set aside for the state in the building of Bandon Dunes.

BVince

« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2008, 04:00:29 PM »
I would love to see what Lester George would do there. 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 04:03:50 PM by Bryon Vincent »
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2008, 04:18:42 PM »
Keiser may want to get Tiger on board for his last offereing at Bandon...I dont know the man well enough to know just how high profile he will want the last course to be?

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2008, 04:21:16 PM »
In response to Tom Doaks challenge for the nest "great" site...someone some day will build on the sand hills of Chile...it would have to be a huge project I suppose to attract American golfers, but the land is spectacular

Ryan Chin

« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2008, 08:31:43 PM »
Keiser is already involved in another Bandon-like place.
It's called Cabot Links in Inverness, Nova Scotia.

George Pazin

« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2008, 11:29:54 AM »
Sounds nuts, but what about a contest for an amatuer to build the course, then hire a builder to construct it? Or, have 18 holes each designed by a different amatuer. Who knows, maybe one of us could design one :D

Hi Rick, I don't know if you're aware of this, but the story is that when Keiser bought the original piece of land, he wanted to do a Golf Digest contest and have amateurs design all 18 holes. Then he brought Ron Whitten out and Ron (thankfully) informed him that the land was too special to chance in such a fashion, and recommended he hire a professional to do things right.

I can't remember if I read that in an article, on here, or in the Dream Golf book.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2008, 04:35:45 PM »
I have heard that Mike K owns lots of other land around Bandon, so if he has other great sites, Doak would be my first choice

If he has nothing great, than an "ode to St Andrews" would be my vision
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Michael Dugger

« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2008, 04:37:08 PM »
I have heard that Mike K owns lots of other land around Bandon, so if he has other great sites, Doak would be my first choice

If he has nothing great, than an "ode to St Andrews" would be my vision

Yes, he does, south of town, but not anywhere near BD Resort.

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back