News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

Re: The Kiwi Challenge - Kauri Cliffs and Cape K
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2008, 12:56:31 AM »
Sir Bob's speech this week at the induction ceremony exuded exactly what Sir Boab has just posted. It was real and heart warming.

Looking forward to see the course. Another of the gca.com baby's where Tom shared early on, some of the pre construction pics and details.

Good on ya, Tom.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2008, 07:28:40 AM »
WOW. A 61 at High Pointe? Incredible. I can see the front 9 giving up a ton to a tour caliber player, but the not so much the back 9 there. Not that much anyway.

Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Carl Rogers

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2008, 09:27:22 PM »
At Kauri in Saturday's round, I was surprised by the number of mis-read putts.

John Kirk

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2008, 09:53:58 PM »
I also got to play 18 holes in the pro-am this morning with Sir Bob Charles, which was a treat.

Tom, back in 1971 or thereabouts, three of us played in a friendly warm-up before the Bob Hope Classic at Indian Wells with Bob Charles.. It was arranged by my house guest, Bob Glading, who won the 1947 New Zealand Open as an amateur and the following year won the NZ PGA. The other member of the group was Rolly Joslyn who won the US Air Force Championship by beating Dow Finsterwald in the final.

We were going along and I said to Bob's caddie, he of the limp, who I think carried for Ben Crenshaw later on, "Gosh, Bob is not very long is he? His reply was short and to the point. "Mr. Huntley, what you shooting?" I replied that I was one under. He came back," Mr. Charles is four under and we've only played seven holes,why does he need to be longer."

Thirty four years later I played another round with Bob at Silverado in a Champions Tour Pro-Am. He looked the same, played the same, weighed the same and was as companiable as he was so long ago. Surely, he is one of nature's gentlemen.

Bob 

Great story, Bob.  Thanks for sharing.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back