News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

North East England GCA get-together - DATE PROBLEM
« on: November 15, 2008, 04:42:07 PM »
There's been some talk in the past about a possible GCA get together in the North East, with the idea being to play three of the best courses in the North East over a long weekend.  Andy Levett and I propose to organise this next June, with the weekend of the US Open seeming like a good time for a number of reasons - long evenings, hopefully a bit of warmth and, of course, the chance to see the pros suffering at Bethpage after our own suffering earlier in the day.

The proposal (which is subject to debate) would be to play at a Seaton Carew (Mackenzie), Brancepeth Castle and The Northumberland (both Colt).  These three courses are a Doak 10.  That is, between them they achieved a grand total of 10 in the Confidential Guide, with a 4 and two 3s.  I think that each deserved a higher mark than it got, I think Andy agrees with me and I believe that those GCAers who have played any of the three also agree.  This is your opportunity to get together with other GCAers to sample the delights of the North East.  There is, of course, the added attraction of a possible night out in the Bigg Market!

Before we make detailed plans I'd like to get a feel for numbers and whether those dates (I'm thinking Saturday 20th to Monday 22nd June to allow us to watch the denouement at Bethpage) suit people.

EDIT 15 March - a couple of changes in club diaries (SC has moved its Captains Day and the Northumberland Junior Strokeplay has been moved to The Northumberland) make this weekend impossible to swing with the clubs.  A further check of club diaries suggests either 3/4/5 or 10/11/12 July would work.  Thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 05:16:14 PM by Mark Pearce »
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Dan Herrmann

Re: North East England GCA get-together
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 04:44:22 PM »
Mark - you really think Bethpage will be a denouement?  ;)

Rich Goodale

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 09:42:45 AM »
Count me in, Mark (and Andy).

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 12:14:33 PM »
I can't at this stage commit, but I endorse the choice of courses whole-heartedly. 

Paul_Turner

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 12:23:15 PM »
Mark

Have you ever played Alnmouth (Foxton)?  I know Andy Levet has and he posted a few pics  a while back.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Mark Pearce

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 02:24:53 PM »
Mark

Have you ever played Alnmouth (Foxton)?  I know Andy Levet has and he posted a few pics  a while back.
Paul,

Yes, I have.  My recollection (and it's a while since I played there) was of a good course but not one I loved.  I must get up there again next summer.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 02:38:19 PM »
Mark you can include me in pencil. if it is over a weekend chances of my coming are improved but it is a bit far away to be sure. In spirit i am there!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 04:21:33 PM »
Mark,  sounds great but from a planning point of view my reply is even more useless than Philip's (sorrry Philip).  I would love to join you guys for this but I'm hoping to be somewhere else then and wont know if I can commit until the new year.

Please keep me informed.

Tony
Let's make GCA grate again!

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 08:42:36 AM »
Mark/Andy

I'd love to say yes but I'm afraid my golf club commitments are likely to prevent me from putting in anything other than a token appearance.

Keep posting details of what you plan and I'll try to commit to joining you on one of the three days.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Andy Levett

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 05:11:40 AM »
For those who may be contemplating this as part of a longer trip and unsure of the geography, the Lothians (Muirfield, N Berwick etc) are around two hours by car,Lancashire links (Lytham, Birkdale etc) closer to three, Alwoodley and Ganton both about 90 minutes.

These GCA threads give a flavour of two of the courses:
Seaton Carew
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,31422.0.html
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,31445.0.html

Brancepeth Castle
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,13446.0.html

The only pics I know of of The Northumberland are on the website and give no more than a hint of its quality: http://www.thengc.co.uk/pages/course-views.php

Exact green fees will depend on numbers, 2009 rates etc but should average £50 a day or less.

James Boon

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 06:28:40 PM »
Mark and Andy

Having just had a long weekend in the north east, staying and playing at Slaley Hall, I would love to venture that way again, though this time for some proper golf  ;D Please pencil me in and keep us informed of plans.

Cheers

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mark Pearce

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 05:31:54 AM »
Bumping this following yesterday's outing (and some discussion of North East golf) at Woking.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 10:56:42 AM »
Gents,
as I doubt I will be able to commit to BUDA this year, please pencil me in for Son of... ;D
Maybe Rihc and I can share wheels (but definitely NOT buggies!)
best,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 06:12:40 PM »
A Fat Baldy Road Trip sound great!  I might even show you the best Indian restaurant in all of Ingerland, which hides just off the A1 a few miles north of Newcastle......

Rich

Mark Pearce

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 02:56:44 AM »
A Fat Baldy Road Trip sound great!  I might even show you the best Indian restaurant in all of Ingerland, which hides just off the A1 a few miles north of Newcastle......

Rich
A bold claim.  Which one?

Rich Goodale

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 04:43:06 AM »
Mark, it is Char Masum, just south of Morpeth.  Certainly the best Indian restaurant in the world which used to be a Little Chef!

Rich

Mark Pearce

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 05:09:41 AM »
Never been there.  Sounds like a must try.  The things you learn on GCA....

Mark Pearce

Re: North East England GCA get-together - DATE PROBLEM
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2009, 05:17:21 PM »
See top of thread for a problem with the date.  We could now do this either of the first two weekends in July.  Is there still interest?

Rich Goodale

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2009, 07:20:34 PM »
Mark

3-5 July is out for me.  10-12 is remotely possible.  More importantly, did you ever get to Char Masum?

Rich

James Boon

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2009, 04:22:33 AM »
Mark,

I think both of those dates would be fine with me. However, at the moment, I think its more a case of "North East England GCA get-togther - FINANCE PROBLEM!" I'm still keen to sample the courses planned (and this famous Indian restaurant!) but I think I will have to say pencil me in and hopefully my financial situation will be a little brighter in a couple of months time?

Thanks for your hard work in organising this!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Niall C

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2009, 10:58:18 AM »
Mark,

I would echo James comment on funds, great idea and I'm up for it provided I can get the funds together. The dates are OK so please keep me advised.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back