News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

rboyce

WSJ on Old Macdonald
« on: November 15, 2008, 08:54:29 AM »
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122670287299429681.html?mod=article-outset-box

<snip>

Last week, here in remote southern Oregon, I got a chance to sample 10 holes, and learn about the others still under construction, at the Bandon Dunes golf resort's newest course, which is an homage to the style and spirit of the National and its creator. To be called Old Macdonald and scheduled to open in 2010, the course unspools through rugged sand dunes adjacent to the resort's other three courses, and includes two greens (No. 7 and No. 15) directly overlooking the Pacific. With time, Old Macdonald could become as well regarded as the National and may be even more fun to play. - John Paul Newport in WSJ

<continues>

PCCraig

Re: WSJ on Old Macdonald
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 10:58:36 AM »
I read this article too. The author is quickly becoming a great GCA read with profiles of different golf courses being built around the world.
H.P.S.

BCrosby

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 11:54:27 AM »
KBM -

I agree. A nice turn of phrase. It's a bit Patric Dickinsonian.

Bob

JC Jones

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 02:42:49 PM »
This article further confirms that I will be waiting until 2010 for my next Bandon trip.  Man am I excited.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 03:48:48 PM »
Not to rain on anyone's parade but might it be a tad tooooooo early for anyone -- least of all a major publication like WSJ -- to make pronouncements prior to everything being ready to assess.

The Bandon PR machine should be given a major thumbs up in being able to generate the "buzz" long before the latest installment is completed.

I'm not suggesting the hype is not worth it -- but I'd like to hope that reasonable people will hold their comments until the dust is settled for total consumption.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 06:50:57 PM »
On one hand...I am really looking forward to getting out to Bandon once Old MacDonald opens. I'm admittedly putting it off until the 4th course is open at this point, but really look forward to seeing all four courses.

One of the strengths of this site is the opportunity to get information on these courses before they open and see the development.

On the other hand, there are a LOT of projects that we completely ignore or just have a passing thread with little/no information on. Granted, I didn't even know there was a new course being developed by Nicklaus design in Eastern NM until this weekend, and its supposedly almost open...so I'm not that on the ball in my own area beyond the planned 2nd course at Black Mesa  ;D

Carl Rogers

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 09:22:48 PM »
I look forward to WSJ each weekend for the golf articles by Mr. Newport.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 10:15:40 PM »
Matt,
Looking at that one picture of the short hole in the dirt last year was enough for me to want to visit.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 11:34:58 PM »
Mike:

The issue is not about "want(ing) to visit."

The issue for me at least is the hype building to the point of people falling over themselves without having played the entire 18 holes yet.

My God, there are courses in the USA that are top shelf layouts and they HAVE been opened for quite some time and they don't even register a footnote of attention.

I am looking forward to seeing what Old Macdonald is about -- but I'm not going to rush to judgement and proclaim it as being a superstar design before all the dust has settled.

I would hope others would understand that.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 12:04:21 AM »
May I be the first to call bullshit!

Matt, You do mean to rain on their parade. You've had a bug up your ass about specific design teams in this forum for awhile now. It just so happens this design team is comprised of some long term posters from this board. Your posts reeks of pettiness and probably jealousy.

What top shelf layouts have this kind of story? None.

and when you say

am looking forward to seeing what Old Macdonald is about -- but I'm not going to rush to judgement and proclaim it as being a superstar design before all the dust has settled.

Who asked you to rush to judgement?

People have played the ten holes that are growing in. They have opined on the stylistic differences from other courses and anticipate that style will be continued for the remainder.  . Any golfer would appreciate the sneak preview experience of those ten holes and consider themselves lucky to get it. Some may even fall all over themselves afterwards feeling fortunate and appreciative.
But not you. Without 18 pluses marked on your card, it just won't rate, will it? Plus, they probably won't comp you, The New Jersey Golfer.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Will MacEwen

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 12:59:18 AM »
On one hand...I am really looking forward to getting out to Bandon once Old MacDonald opens. I'm admittedly putting it off until the 4th course is open at this point, but really look forward to seeing all four courses.

One of the strengths of this site is the opportunity to get information on these courses before they open and see the development.

On the other hand, there are a LOT of projects that we completely ignore or just have a passing thread with little/no information on. Granted, I didn't even know there was a new course being developed by Nicklaus design in Eastern NM until this weekend, and its supposedly almost open...so I'm not that on the ball in my own area beyond the planned 2nd course at Black Mesa  ;D

At least we know this one is going ahead.  Every project in BC seems to be dead or in doubt right now.  I am sure lots of projects will be delayed and shelved in the near future. 

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 01:26:15 AM »
I'm just thankful that John Paul Newport isn't going by a pen name.

At least as far as we know.  ;)

Rob Rigg

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 02:19:28 AM »
Matt,

I tend to agree with you most of the time, but in this case I cannot understand how someone who is passionate about GCA could not be really excited about what we have seen and heard thus far on the site about OMD.

There are certainly courses out there that do not get the press they deserve, I agree 100% with you there, but Bandon has become a golf mecca for good reason and there is nothing to suggest that the 4th course is not going to add to the aura and up the ante even further.

A final verdict cannot, and should not, be made until the full 18 is open for play, but I think the growing enthusiasm is deserved after the feedback from those who have been fortunate enough to play 10 already.

What about the commentary or photography of the course that you have seen on this site makes you think that people are taking the mickey?

When Mike Nuzzo was posting on Wolf Point before it was done there was a lot of excitement and praise (understandably IMO) - How is that different? Or is that out of line as well?

Andy Troeger

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 09:12:53 AM »

At least we know this one is going ahead.  Every project in BC seems to be dead or in doubt right now.  I am sure lots of projects will be delayed and shelved in the near future. 

True, but how many discussions have there been about the #1 and #2 courses on the recent GolfWeek's Best New listing? Mountaintop and Cornerstone are both open, yet there's been minimal discussion of Mountaintop and I'm not sure I've heard of anyone here that's actually played Cornerstone--I'm sure there's got to be someone out there.

I'm not saying we shouldn't discuss OM. It encompasses pretty much everything this group values--we should discuss it, we should be excited about the opportunity to play it. However, when I joined this group I did it knowing that it was limited in scope--if nothing else I wanted to remind myself with that previous post. I'm sure there's something out there being developed that I would be excited to play that hasn't been covered here at all. I admittedly would give up one of the 25+ OM threads there will be prior to opening for one on that "mystery project" if that makes sense.

PCCraig

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 09:37:47 AM »
Matt / Andy-

I can understand your points. However I think the neat part of Old Macdonald is that a good portion of the people designing and building the course are GCA members, of course we are going to have a special interest in the outcome. The same could be said about Mike N.'s Wolf Point.

As for the WSJ covering OM and the "marketing hype" of KemperSports / Bandon Resorts, the resort is now a major golfing destination in the United States and deserves attention from golf writers much the same way a Pebble Beach / Kiawah / Kohler would. I'm not sure many weekend WSJ readers want to read about low profile natural golf courses.
H.P.S.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2008, 09:59:44 AM »
Matt,

There is nothing precluding you from posting pics and starting a discussion on the boards.  As you know I do a lot of course reviews of just basic courses here in the SLC area and they generate a fair amount of dicussion.

By all means, get out there, take some pics, give us some background, and tell us about the course(s) that you want to discuss.  I'm betting people folks will jump in.  ;)

Matt_Ward

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2008, 12:13:05 PM »
Pat C:

I agree Kemper/Sports and Bandon/Resorts and what they do is important to cover. No doubt whatsoever.

I just simply stated waiting to see a finished product would be the best and fairest way to get a total read on what has been done there. Hype is a great American pastime -- I simply think a more credible and lasting account comes only from seeing what the final work provides.

Rob:

With all due respect, where did I say I was not "excited?" I simply urged people to show a bit of restraint because people are weighing in thru 10 holes only at the grow-in phase.

My God, do people weigh in on the merits of a meal simply by having had only the salad portion? Or a movie trailer?

What people have to realize is that each course is a SEPARATE project -- what came before is a distinct and different element. No doubt the Bandon model deserves high praise for being the "new" golf mecca and bumping out of the top spot for core golfers places like Pebble Beach (and all its assorted courses) and Pinehurst Resort, to name two of the more noted facilities that have long held sway at the top of the charts.

I'll say this again -- I am looking forward to seeing what is finally done. But, I don't rate on partial assessments, whether they are good or bad at such an early stage.

Rob, you asked, "What about the commentary or photography of the course that you have seen on this site makes you think that people are taking the mickey?

Again, with all due respect, I am not making any comments on whether the comments from people to date are one way or the other -- I just simply said it might be best for people to show some sort of restraint until there's been some sort of actual playing of a completed course. I have seen other instances in which people have leaped off the cliffs with glowing reviews early on simply because "x" designer was involved or because of past courses in a given facility and the result for the one that came forward was a bit lacking.

Rob, I've weighed about the C&C layout at Bandon Trails and it does have its moments -- but there are flaws (the middle of the round) not up to the rest of the elements you see with the first and final thirds of the layout. There are people who see C&C's layout there as close to the grandeur of Pac Dunes and I don't see the utter consistency to merit that high a placement. Ditto the clear weaknesses among the final series of holes at the original 18 by Kidd. 

Rob, there are people who make the assumption that if the name Bandon is involved then anything that comes out of that connection must be great. I don't doubt what Bandon the facility has done for golf and how it clearly has sparked the inner golf spirits of the core player. Mike Keiser has done a superlative job in taking his grand vision and engaging some of the best talent in design to make that happen.

How Old Macdonald turns out is an unknown at this point. If people wish to gush about an incomplete package -- that's their prerogative. All I said was for people to wait and see the completed work. I'm not saying that progress reports are meaningless but they should be used a guide to what might happen not as an automatic coronation.

Last item -- I appreciate the sneak previews that people do. I've enjoyed the info / pics that Mike N presented about Wolf Point and I congratulate the folks who are bringing forward designs that are attempting to be something beyond the cut'n paste 18-hole layouts that are dreadfully dull and uninspiring. People are free to promote their work -- and posters are free to say whatever they wish. My desire to urge a bit of restraint is nothing more then a prudent option that is fair to both the course in question and those other layouts not having all the pre-hype before they open.

Adam:

How predictable -- the Yoda of classic design has weighed in with his usual high altar admonishments.

I simply stated it's best to wait for the place to fully open before lining up and saying it's already one of the really top tier places.

Do we rate movies on the virtue of trailers?

We are now assessing courses through a "grow in" phase. That makes perfect sense.

I salute the PR machine Bandon has rolled out -- getting WSJ to do a preview piece is quite an accomplishment and no doubt testament to the courses that have previously opened there. But past triumphs do not mean future home run success. Just waiting for the full course to open is quite sensible -- however, when a bit of patience is asked for you get the typical classic school defenders who leap into their high horse saddle and cry foul for anyone who urges a bit of restraint until everything is ready to go.

I too am eager to see what happens with the newest addition at Bandon but I'm not going to jump off the cliff with incessant and inane Clayman bromides that my take is stacked on the preposterous twin positions of pettiness and jealousy. That was indeed inane on your part.

Your final statement concerning The Jersey Golfer and whether I have been comped is also completely unfounded and speaks of your own personal ignorance on that matter. I have always enjoyed my different times at Bandon and I've opined on what I have evaluated as being laudatory elements and those less so.

Adam - I thought you were a class guy who really understood that people can weigh in with different opinions and still be celebrated for such differences. Pardon me for my error in judgement on both counts.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2008, 12:28:00 PM »
"Do we rate movies on the virtue of trailers?"

I do. When I saw the trailer for "Deuce Bigelow, Male Gigolo" I skipped it. I may have been wrong. ;)
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Andy Troeger

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2008, 01:57:07 PM »
Andy-

I can understand your points. However I think the neat part of Old Macdonald is that a good portion of the people designing and building the course are GCA members, of course we are going to have a special interest in the outcome. The same could be said about Mike N.'s Wolf Point.

I agree with all of this whole-heartedly. I have no problem with significant discussion of this course or any of the projects that folks in this group participate in...that's part of the point of being here! Same with Lester George's Ballyhack and any other projects these folks have going on.

George Pazin

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2008, 02:23:49 PM »
Thanks for the link.

Matt, thank you for your undying quest to provide balance, even when it's not necessary. The urge to stop every car with a "My Child Is An Honor Student" bumper sticker must be overwhelming.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2008, 03:08:11 PM »
The thing that struck me about the article was the word "FUN".

All too often developers/owners seem to delight in emphasizing difficulty.

Presenting a challenge that's FUN seems to be a lost art.

The description of the very wide fairways and large greens, combined with WIND that sweeps the site would seem to be a formula for creating a challenge that's FUN to meet.

I'd be anxious to play any course that fields that combination.

The thought of a "MacDonaldish" golf course that's open to the public has immense appeal and may revitalize interest in the work of the triumvirate.

I'm a believer in Mike Keiser.
He's proven that he knows what he wants and that he knows what the golfer/retail golfer wants, and that he knows how to produce it.

I have every confidence that Tom Doak will produce a wonderful golf course that's FUN to play.

I'm anxious to visit and see the golf course in the fall of 2009.

If the golf course is successful, perhaps it will send the appropriate signal to others undertaking golf course developments, namely, that a challenge that's FUN, not brutally difficult is where the future of golf lies.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 07:30:21 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2008, 03:20:05 PM »
Hear, Hear Patrick!
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Dan Kelly

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2008, 07:28:03 PM »
The urge to stop every car with a "My Child Is An Honor Student" bumper sticker must be overwhelming.

Line of the year!

(Hear, hear, Patrick, indeed.)

(Mike Cirba -- Don't be too sure "John Paul Newport" isn't a pen name. Rumor is: His real name is John Paul Southampton.)
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2008, 09:54:21 PM »
I look forward to WSJ each weekend for the golf articles by Mr. Newport.

Carl - me too. I get the WSJ at work, and it's always a pleasure reading JP Newport. He's smart, knows golf, and writes clearly and well -- Bingo!

I must say, though, that I'm a little (pleasantly) surprised that he'd be writing about Old Macdonald, and so soon  -- his articles tend to cover the whole gamut of golf-related subjects, and so I didn't think architecture would be near the top of the list.

Peter

Brad Klein

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2008, 10:06:10 PM »
Matt, the ten holes played in early November at Old Macdonald are not, as you claim, in the "grow-in" stage. The fescue fairways are pretty tight, the ball rolls -- not fully, but the turf is cut down to about .65-inch and the greens are cut way down and rolling at about 7.5 on the Stimpmeter already. We all got just about the same yardages (in air and on the ground) as we normally get. The approaches are all being cut down to around .40-inch or less already -- and the bunkers are fully operational on those ten holes. So it's not in the grow-in stage.

Having said that, the other 8 holes are nowhere near grassing and for the most part are somewhere between partially and not at all rough shaped.

By the way, as for hype, John Paul Newport was at Bandon to finish the second half of his previous week's column on speed golf. He was slated to be there long enough to speed play Bandon Trails and write about it, which he did on Thursday. We met him there quite by accident and invited him to stay and tour Old Macdonald on Friday and play an opening round of the ten holes. His presence at OM was unplanned, he (and WSJ) paid his way without comps, and anything he went on to write about OM was entirely spontaneous and not the product of any planning by Keiser, Kemper or Doak.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 10:56:10 PM by Brad Klein »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back