News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick Glynn

Trip Advice - Scotland
« on: November 08, 2008, 12:37:29 PM »
Greetings all,

I have looked at the past threads on here to get some idea of what is possible. I am looking at organising a trip to the Edinburgh area in April 2009. It started out as a trip for my father and I, but I am after becoming a little more adventurous. We have played TOC 10+ times between us, but would still love to get back there. Unfortunately there seem to be no more tee times bookable in advance - is there any way around this? The ballot is fine if you are a single, but we might actually be meeting up with another GCA'er and will probably have a fourball. It also seems that the Castle Course is booked out. Can anyone confirm this?

I am Irish and am going to be flying from Dublin but my friends will be coming from the US. We are toying with the idea of doing a day at Muirfield. I like the idea of 36 holes and lunch. However I am not sure how exactly this works - I would prefer to play my own ball in both rounds. Does that mean we have to go off in two 2 balls in the morning and afternoon? While in this area (Gullane) is North Berwick another must play?

The last time we were in St. Andrews we drove up to Carnoustie. At the moment their website seems to be down/not accepting bookings. The drive (IMHO) does not seem that far and I feel that Carnoustie is worth a visit. Are there any others in the area that I am missing?

We are also looking at going to London and playing Deal & Royal St. Georges. Would it be too adventurous to suggest driving to/from Edinburgh and London?

Thanks for any/all help and suggestions,

Patrick

CJ Carder

Re: Trip Advice - Scotland
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 12:47:53 PM »
I am Irish and am going to be flying from Dublin but my friends will be coming from the US. We are toying with the idea of doing a day at Muirfield. I like the idea of 36 holes and lunch. However I am not sure how exactly this works - I would prefer to play my own ball in both rounds. Does that mean we have to go off in two 2 balls in the morning and afternoon? While in this area (Gullane) is North Berwick another must play?

Muirfield is pretty strict from my experience on their playing format for guests.  Usually you need to book well in advance, though how far does depend on when you're playing.  They've moved to online booking, so it is possible to check their website and see if they have open times when you're looking to go.  Another way is to somehow contact the club's secretary (forgot her name, but she's as nice as can be) and inquire about the best way.  Play is usually allowed only on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  If there's 4 of you going, you'll go off as a fourball in the morning, likely off 10 tee.  After what I thought was a fantastic lunch, afternoon is foursomes off of 1 tee. 

Doug Bolls

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 12:52:37 PM »
Her name is Anne McCarthy - a group of 8 of us have played there twice over the years - she is just as nice and helpful as can be.
You play your own ball in the AM, and alternate shot after lunch - and don't forget the Kummel.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 01:29:53 PM »
http://www.theaa.com/travelwatch/inc/planner_places_redirect.jsp

the aa route planner suggests a 9 hour dirve from North Berwick (must Play) to Deal.  Thats without food and fueling stops. Apart from the first couple of hours the drive has no worthwhile scenery - a bore. If you flew you could play in the morning and get there that evening. 

However isnt this two separate trips.  RSG only allow visitors Tuesday (& Thursday?) so you're adding more logistical problems.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 01:57:35 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Patrick Glynn

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 01:42:55 PM »
Luckily if we go to Deal we will be playing with a member so that should take care of that.

I am surprised the both TOC and The Castle Course are booked out 6 months in advance, in what is essentially the "shoulder" season.

Joe_Hatley

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 04:00:05 PM »
North Berwick is absolutely a must play.  The New York Times had an article on the town and the course last month - check the archives on its site.  To be really honest (and perhaps heretical to readers of this site), if I could only play one Scottish course for the rest of my life, it would be North Berwick -- it is just that much fun. 

If you plan to be based in Edinburgh, you might also consider going just a bit north of Carnoustie and playing at Royal Aberdeen and Cruden Bay.  The drive is much prettier (and shorter) than going to London.  While RSG is a terrific course, it alone is not worth the lengthy drive.  There are some other good courses in its vicinity, but you have a much better concentration of great courses within a shorter driving distance of Edinburgh.  Also keep in mind that the cost of petrol in the UK makes $4.00 per gallon fuel in the US look positively cheap.

JMorgan

Jim Nugent

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 12:05:16 AM »
Whenever I hear North Berwick or Muirfield, I immediately think "Renaissance Club". 

One of Doak's new masterpieces sits right next to both courses.  Worth checking into? 

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 02:04:35 AM »
Elie, Lundin, Crail (I only played Balcomie, but have heard very good things about the newer one), and Kingsbarns (so I've heard) are all great and are all between Edinburgh and St. Andrews.

Also, if you're going to stay up that way, try and have dinner once at the Peat Inn near Cupar...my dad and I ate there when we were up there this June and it was just wonderful.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Mark Pearce

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 04:04:04 AM »
Driving from Edinburgh to the South coast is a good day's drive.  Given how much good golf can be had in Scotland I wouldn't lose a day driving when I could be playing.  Edinburgh and the English South Coast are part of two different trips, if that's possible.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Allan Minto

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 10:36:01 AM »
Patrick

One of East Lothian's greatest assets in the number of quality links courses it has within a relatively small area. I'm a bit biased, as I work closely with the golf industry across the region but with 22 courses, mainly along a 30 mile coastline, there are many great golf experiences to be had. As the best links are located so close to each other, you can cram in a lot of quality golf with little time wasted driving from course to course.

I spoke to Anne McCarthy at Muirfield on Friday and they still have tee times available throughout April on their visitor days, which are Tuesdays and Thursdays. You can play fourballs from the 10th tee or 2 ball foursomes from the 1st tee in the mornings. I think the best experience is to play fourballs from the 10th in the morning and alternate shot in the afternoon with lunch between rounds.

North Berwick and Gullane No.1 are the "must plays" when visiting the region but there are several additional Open Championship Final Qualifiers definitely worth playing if time permits.

Dunbar is a classic Old Tom Morris design, which has 14 holes along a narrow strip between a wall and the sea. Luffness New, also an Old Tom design, where they have carried out some recent alterations, removing buckthorn and add a little bit length to a few holes. Gullane No.2 is another qualifying course and the club offers a discounted green fee when playing No.1 and No.2 on the same day.

You might want to consider staying along the stretch between Aberlady and North Berwick rather than Edinburgh, as this would bring you within 5 to 20 minutes of the majority of courses in the area. Traffic in Edinburgh is pretty chaotic at the moment, as construction work for a new tram system is underway. If you want to visit the city, it would be better to take the short train ride from North Berwick or Longniddry.

St Andrews and Carnoustie are both about 2 hours from East Lothian.

I'd be very happy to pass on more local knowledge and help with your trip planning if needed.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 10:54:21 AM »
I was told last week that Castle Stuart is going to make some news when the public sees it.   

http://www.castlestuartgolf.com/index.htm

David_Tepper

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2008, 11:17:09 AM »
Joel -

There have been multiple posts on Castle Stuart here over the past year or so. The November issue of Golf World (UK) named it one of the 3 courses opening in GB&I to likely be a Top 100 course in the future. 

I toured the course in May. It is quite spectacular. I know one GCA-er who played the course on a preview basis in September. He gives it a big thumbs up.

The official opening of the course will likely be next July.

DT   

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2008, 06:15:29 PM »
Patrick

I drove with three other guys once from St. Andrews to Stoke-by-Nayland which is an hour north of London. We thought there might be some adventure on a road trip, there really wasn't.  I think that we all were of the opinion that if we had to do the trip again we'd fly.

Deal is probably another 90 minutes or two hours further south. It should be possible to get a cheap flight from Edinburgh to Gatwick.

I don't think anybody has mentioned it, but if you're in Gullane you should sound out the possibilty of playing Archerfield.
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

rchesnut

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2008, 06:23:50 PM »
North Berwick is definitely a must play.  I'd add Gullane #2 to the list as well.  And Carnoustie of course...it's not that bad a drive from St. Andrews.  As for Renaissance Club, I've only played one round there, and came away slightly disappointed with the course after my limited experience., probably in part because I had such high expectations.  I really enjoyed some of the holes, but the wind was up, and the rough was very long and thick the day I played it.  My friend and I both lost a number of golf balls and were a little frustrated with rough by the end.   In the clubhouse they told me that the course was playing tougher than they had ever seen it, though, so perhaps my experience was a little unusual.   Based on what I saw, I'd certainly try to play it, but I wouldn't forgo a round at Berwick or Gullane to do it.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2008, 08:29:35 AM »

North Berwick is a must. You can play the over hyped Redan. I know it is a hike which requires a good navigater, but Cruden Bay is the most enjoyable round in the world. Very playable and unique. On the fun scale a 10+. Also play Kingsbarns.

Anthony

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2008, 11:01:51 AM »

You've played TOC numerous times why not consider a south of the border trip??

Flying into London you could play Deal and RStG, maybe Rye or Littlestone then a couple from;
West Sussex, Addington, Royal Ashdown, Walton Heath, Sunningdale, Berkshire, Swinley, New Zealand or the 3Ws.

Whilst South East England doesn't beat Scotland on depth of links golf, the inland variation beats it hands down and your not subjected to the zoo of touring golf parties. Most allow 4 ball play at least one day a week and the luncheons at many match the HCEG.
Cave Nil Vino

Brent Hutto

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2008, 11:17:51 AM »
I doubt it is up to HCEG standards but the lunch we enjoyed at Walton Heath, between rounds at the Old (morning) and New (afternoon) courses was wonderful and the golf was above reproach. In fact considering the quality of both courses that has to be among the very, very top 36-hole days on offer anywhere in England...which is to say anywhere in the world. Anyone who can organize a day or two in the Heathland belt near London followed by a trip to Deal and/or Sandwich ought to do so. Especially anyone who can consider the Old Course a familiar experience.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2008, 11:20:33 AM »
Lunch at The Berkshire (which also boasts 36 holes) is VERY close to the standard of lunch at HCEG as is lunch at Swinley Forest.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mike Benham

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2008, 11:51:10 AM »

Dunbar is a classic Old Tom Morris design, which has 14 holes along a narrow strip between a wall and the sea.

Our dear friend John Krystynak (probably spelled wrong) introduced me to a simple pleasure while golfing in Scotland ... soup and a beer at lunch.  While at Dunbar (or the nearby) I highly suggest a pint or two of Belhaven's Best ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Patrick Glynn

Update
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2008, 12:52:47 PM »
So we are now just looking at the Gullane area as TOC & the Castle Course seem to be non-starters. Would 36 at Muirfield on both the Tuesday and Thursday be an overdose? I am not exactly sure how many days off work I am going to be able to take, but we are now thinking about just Muirfield, North Berwick and maybe the Renaissance Club if we can swing it.

Any idea of plans to stay in this area? The Greywalls seems lovely, but perhaps a tad out of my price range (they dont advertise prices online...)

David_Tepper

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2008, 01:13:11 PM »
Patrick -

Plenty of travel info on the North Berwick/East Lothian area in this article:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/10/19/travel/19explorer.html

DT

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back