News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

Re: Has the "Walk in the Park" illusion hurt golf architecture?
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2008, 12:23:52 PM »
BTW no mention of the Flintstones is complete without considering Ann Margrock.  She was hot before hot was cool
Huck,
That's wierdly sick.

Her lullabies to little Pebbles?

Yowza!

But sick though I may be, tell me I'm wrong....

But you know what was also great about that whole thing?  Wilma was never threatened.  That woman was a rock herself.  Pretty hot too.  Fred had it great.  So did Barney.  Betty?  Awesome.

;D ;D

great stuff guys!

and maybe WIlma wasn't  ;) threatened cause her and Ann and Fred...never mind...
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2008, 12:26:06 PM »
I would bet the riders vs the walkers parallel the division between the card-and-pencil types vs the walk-in-the-park types.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2008, 12:29:07 PM »
Paul... you are sicker than I am... even I hadn't thought of that.

But well done.   ;D

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2008, 12:34:15 PM »

Tom

I tend to read most threads, although I don’t comment on individual experiences on most golf courses as I believe that it’s down to each golfer’s interpretation of his/her likes or dislikes.

I do try to join in if I feel the subject is about the preservation or the continuance of our game of golf. I feel that it is worth voicing an opinion, perhaps to remind some why they started playing golf in the first place.

I will never understand why those who appear so dedicated to the game allow themselves to be persuaded to use artificial means to play the game .i.e. carts, distance markers and range finders etc.  As I said it allows the game to be in part desensitized and to my way of thinking uninteresting. It appears to be saying come and try the easy way, we minimise nature and no real effort is required - the very opposite to what I believe golf is actually all about.

I would indeed love to meet the guy who introduced No Walking Courses to Golf – an individual who must have had a frontal lobotomy perhaps at birth or just never got to grips with Golf.  As ball-club-course goes together so does walk-eyes-golf – but I suppose at the end of the day it boils down to golfers who love and respect the traditions of the game or cowboys who ride and really only care about themselves. Or am I being a little unfair to the traditional golfer – should I give him even more credit for persevering when tempted with all the easy options?

Melvyn

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2008, 12:46:17 PM »
Melvyn:

Hopefully by now you understand that your words do resonate with me.  I tend to defend the use of carts because here in America, we have plenty of courses which provide wonderful shots to be played, but would be very painful to walk.  Also at times it's just plain fun to take a cart - it holds beer quite well and one can zip around quite nicely, which is great at those times when zipping around is either required or desired.  So while I do understand and believe that walking is the preferable way to play this game - for the very many reasons you state - I just don't tend to take the all or nothing stance that you do.

I do very much respect that stance though.  I just wonder if you saw some of the course we played over here, would that stance be so absolute?  Perhaps.   Hopefully for your sake you are never forced to make the faustian choices that many of us make.

In any event I posted here not to take you to task - far from it.  I posted here just to note that as you have tended to chide me for my support of the riding game, here Kavanaugh sees me as a poster-boy for walking, which for god knows what reason he seems to claim as part of the ruination of the game.  So the point is not to argue this again, but just to ironically note how one really can't win.

Best to you, my friend.

TH

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2008, 12:49:26 PM »
I continue to think carts mostly have to do with revenue, along with fat and lazy.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Gary Slatter

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2008, 12:57:12 PM »
Golf is the walk in the park for people who would find walking in a park boring if they weren't playing this cleverest of pastimes.  I drive my cart slower if I need time to recover between shots.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

George Pazin

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2008, 01:08:29 PM »
Find a driving range with mats and one of those automatic-teeing machines. You can hit a large bucket in like 15-20 minutes, tops.

Lotsa interesting thoughts on this thread, this one comes closest to my feelings.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Adam Clayman

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2008, 01:09:19 PM »
Whenever I give a score for that criteria the fleeting thought is about the same as the criteria for the golf. Did the site interest me (if I wasn't golfing) with characteristics that are varied and or unique. It's implied they are almost always beautiful. But even seeing some eyesore, like on the first at Cowboys, the observer can appreciate the architects attempt to mitigate. I even chuckled.

One thing that would not receive a high WITP score would be a repetitious walk through a forest or surrounds that are not varied, naturally. BTW, anyone thinking that Ballyneal would fit that category, didn't observe closely enough at how uniquely varied the natural topography is.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mike Benham

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2008, 02:45:24 PM »
Fred and Barney get no golf purist brownie-points; remember the smelting of ore was still thousands of years in the future.

I am impressed however with their use of rock-flites.  They might have used dinosaur excrement golf balls, and we all know how THAT ruined the game.

BTW no mention of the Flintstones is complete without considering Ann Margrock.  She was hot before hot was cool.

;D

I believe Ann Margrock rode in the cart while Rock Hudstone and Cary Granite filled out the foursome with Fred and Barney.
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2008, 02:49:31 PM »
Brad,
Thanks for completing what I thought I'd read.

So I guess we won't be seeing a 'Ride in the Park' category anytime soon?
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2008, 04:33:22 PM »
Fred and Barney get no golf purist brownie-points; remember the smelting of ore was still thousands of years in the future.

I am impressed however with their use of rock-flites.  They might have used dinosaur excrement golf balls, and we all know how THAT ruined the game.

BTW no mention of the Flintstones is complete without considering Ann Margrock.  She was hot before hot was cool.

;D

I believe Ann Margrock rode in the cart while Rock Hudstone and Cary Granite filled out the foursome with Fred and Barney.

Now THAT is a fine explanation.  You know Fred and Barney were always a little tight for a couple of friends/neighbors....

;D

Joe Hancock

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2008, 04:36:29 PM »
Wasn't it "Quarry Granite"?...or am I just remembering my own version?
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

PThomas

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2008, 04:37:25 PM »

;D

Now THAT is a fine explanation.  You know Fred and Barney were always a little tight for a couple of friends/neighbors....

;D

are you implying what i think you are implying Huck?? ;) :D

Joe Hancock

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2008, 04:41:21 PM »

;D

;D

You guys are on your way to hitting rock bottom.....ahem......
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2008, 04:43:19 PM »
Hey, Benham implied it.  I just confirmed it.

;D

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2008, 04:46:26 PM »
Joe - Ahem, indeed. And I think it was Perry Gunite, private detective. He was so tough his favourtite drink was rocks on the rocks - in a dirty glass!

Paul - Yes, I do believe Thomas is so implying (edit:confirming). But he gets a pass for introducing Anne Margrock into the discussion.

Peter

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2008, 04:51:00 PM »
Thanks, Peter.

Now as for the who's who... if we can trust wikipedia....

Being set in the Stone Age allowed for various gags and puns that involved rocks in one way or another, including the names of the various characters being "rock" puns. These included celebrities of the 1960s such as:

"Gary Granite" (Cary Grant)
"Stony Curtis" (Tony Curtis)
"Ed Sulleyrock/Sulleystone" (Ed Sullivan)
"Rock Quarry" (Rock Hudson)
"Ann-Margrock" (Ann-Margret)
"Alvin Brickrock" (Alfred Hitchcock)
"Perry Masonary/Masonite" (Perry Mason)
"Bronto Burger" (Hamilton Burger, Mason's courtroom adversary)
"Hollyrock Bowl" {Hollywood Bowl}
"Jimmy Darrock" (Bobby Darin)

Kudos to Dan Kelly, editor extreme, for proper use of the hyphen in Ann-Margrock.

TH

PThomas

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2008, 05:00:39 PM »

;D

;D

You guys are on your way to hitting rock bottom.....ahem......

i think i'm already there Joe, and as Peter points out at least Huck gets point for brining up Ann

my pathetic attempt at some dignity:  did Ginger and Mary Ann play any golf with Gilligan??

John Kirk

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2008, 06:57:48 PM »
How do you separate the walk in the park from the game?  Assuming I am walking, which is true 90-95% of the time, I have plenty of time inbetween shots to enjoy the scenery.

Mike Mosely

« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2008, 07:07:05 PM »

;D

Don't forget Stony Curtis.

Oh, and my other favorite characters - "Madam yes" Dr. Sinister, and Jay Bondrock.  What brings two handsome boys to me?  Stupidity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PojCDG5816Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im_MY0ZbrgI&feature=related

A-Judo!  A-chop-chop-chop!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 07:13:37 PM by Mike Mosely »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2008, 07:45:31 PM »
I can state with confidence that if I was still physically able to walk, yet somehow sentenced by some mythical penal judiciary to have to ride in a cart during every round of golf I played the rest of my life, my interest in playing the game would dissipate and ultimately dissolve within six months.

Mike Benham

« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2008, 09:40:06 PM »
Hey, Benham implied it.  I just confirmed it.

;D

Hey, this is a golfing website, it was a foursome at the local country club, Stone Valley CC or maybe Pebble Beach GL ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2008, 08:48:37 AM »
I can state with confidence that if I was still physically able to walk, yet somehow sentenced by some mythical penal judiciary to have to ride in a cart during every round of golf I played the rest of my life, my interest in playing the game would dissipate and ultimately dissolve within six months.

It doesn't surprise me that you find the strategic architecture that boring.  It really is all about seeing and being seen at as many courses as possible.  When or if you ever become a golfer based in reality that plays the same course with the same friends over 90% of the time you may discover the beauty of the game.

To those who thing blink and twinkle golf is similar to hitting balls on the range I also have to question your love of architecture.  If perhaps technology would allow a range in the round where the shots required changed swing after swing I may agree but range hitting is far too static and emotionally empty to compare with golf.

For who that think every round of golf must be some huge production of walking and interacting with the land I suggest you enter my wifes head.  This is exactly how she looks at sex, with me, in that I have to be nice for a given period of time before, I have to be clean, I have to pay attention to her, I have to this, that and the other.  Golf is not sex and should be practiced at a much larger frequency under any and all conditions.  For the younger posters out there just wait till you bump fifty with three kids and you will understand.

When you near fifty and play four or so times a week walking each time is out of the question not because you are either fat or lazy.  I love to golf but I also love to eat and drink...Why should I give up any of the three?

Is Hetzel Kenyan?  His statement that he can keep up with any cart playing golfer while walking is an affront to the laws of physics and Sister Mary Mercedes.   True blink and twinkle is played where each golfer has his own cart and plays ready golf.  The fastest Kenyan could not run 6 miles stopping to play with his cock and balls 72 times and keep up.  Stop with this insulting lie.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2008, 12:23:44 PM »
John,

Last weekend I walked and played Reading CC in two hours on a cool afternoon before nightfall.

Get off your duff, man!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back