News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bradley Anderson

Re: Who Introduced You To The Game
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2008, 12:02:03 PM »
Bradley,

I appreciate your analysis and do believe that it serves a purpose.  However, perhaps your numbers reflect how one becomes so obsessed with golf to the point of being active in a web site devoted to golf course architecture.  Perhaps of the total of active (but less obsessed golfers) a greater percentage was drawn to the game outside of family members.

I do not know the answer to my question, but it would be interesting to know.

Nevertheless, I do think your final analysis is likely very correct, the future of the game is in our families.

Bill,

I did occur to me that GCA'ers might not be a fair representation of golfers. We are a kind of freaky group of people.  8)

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2008, 12:07:44 PM »
Bradley,

You can also count put me in two of those minority groups.

1)  I took up the game due to encourgament from friends who had recently discovered golf as well.

2)  This didn't happen till I was 23.

Thanks Kalen.

I would be interested to know about your early game experiences.

Was it hard to catch on to the game as an adult?

Did you start right out on a plus 6,500 yard golf course?

Did you feel discouraged in the beginning?

Dale_McCallon

« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2008, 12:45:33 PM »
Very few things made my father madder than golf being on TV.  He hated it.  He loved to make fun of our neighbors who had were so uppity and joined a country club (emphasis on country).
So it clearly wasn't my family.

Actually a high school buddy and I were messing around before our sr year in high school and he suggested we go to his family's course and play.  The pro let me use a set of right handed clubs (I'm a lefty) and we were off.  I got hooked quickly bought a full set at Wal-Mart with my some of my graduation money that spring.

My lucky break though was having a mom who didn't care about divots all over her yard, and a par 3/driving range opened at the same time I started playing in town.  $2 for a bucket of balls, $5 for walking 18.  A real deal for a college student.

Pat Burke

« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2008, 12:54:02 PM »
Family tree
Grandfather and his 3 brothers all PGA club professionals
Mom introduced my dad to the game when they met.  Dad went to work for my grandfather
became a pretty successful PGA member.  Mom became one of the first female PGA members.
I was introduced obviously by an entire family affair, and through clinics at my dads' club.  At 14 all of the junior members were allowed to play after 2pm, but ONLY if they had shown up to caddy that morning!
Ironically, my mom had more to do with my game when I was younger, and my dad as I tried to play professionally (until he passed).
I was truly blessed to grow up in a generational golf family.  (still wish I could have played hockey though) ;)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2008, 01:16:05 PM »
Bradley,

You can also count put me in two of those minority groups.

1)  I took up the game due to encourgament from friends who had recently discovered golf as well.

2)  This didn't happen till I was 23.

Thanks Kalen.

I would be interested to know about your early game experiences.

Was it hard to catch on to the game as an adult?

Did you start right out on a plus 6,500 yard golf course?

Did you feel discouraged in the beginning?

Bradley,

Thanks for asking.

I started out like most in playing 9 hole, par 3 type courses.  I couldn't hit my irons worth a lick, but had an old persimmon 5 wood that I could hit, so I used it on almost every shot for nearly my 1st year of playing.

Only after playing probably a dozen times I thought about playing a full 18 holes.  Getting around 9 holes was tough enough, so I recall it being very intimidating to try 18 holes, especially knowing they would be a lot longer.  But after playing a couple of 18 hole rounds I was hooked pretty good.

Additionally I noticed another interest developing that kept me going which was studying the holes and routing as I was playing.  Half the fun for me was just checking out different courses and trying to analyze the various holes. It made it that much easier to keep playing, and eventually that curiousity led me here.

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2008, 01:22:01 PM »
Family tree
Mom introduced my dad to the game when they met.  Dad went to work for my grandfather
became a pretty successful PGA member.  Mom became one of the first female PGA members.
I was introduced obviously by an entire family affair, and through clinics at my dads' club.  At 14 all of the junior members were allowed to play after 2pm, but ONLY if they had shown up to caddy that morning!
Ironically, my mom had more to do with my game when I was younger, and my dad as I tried to play professionally (until he passed).
I was truly blessed to grow up in a generational golf family.  (still wish I could have played hockey though) ;)

Having previously known your lineage and the path of where the Sport has "driven" you, I'm glad you didn't take up Hockey because I may not even be here typing this right now if you did! ;)

Pat Burke

« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2008, 01:28:09 PM »
Family tree

Having previously known your lineage and the path of where the Sport has "driven" you, I'm glad you didn't take up Hockey because I may not even be here typing this right now if you did! ;)

Tom, and I still at least have all of my teeth!    My schedule has finally slowed right now, we may need to get together!

Ian Andrew

« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2008, 01:30:06 PM »
Bing Crosby

I used to watch the Crosby Clambake every year with my father and one day I asked him,

"Does somebody actually design these golf courses?"

He said "of course."

"Can I do that for a living?"

"Yes, but you better start playing first"

So OK, it wasn't Bing, but he sure helped. It was my father who got me started with a membership, clubs and five books on golf architecture.

Here's my tibute to my father - it was the first entry I wrote for the blog. It ended up published by Golf Canada.

http://thecaddyshack.blogspot.com/2006/02/our-last-father-and-son-trip-tribute.html

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2008, 04:35:11 PM »
I must be the goofy one in the bunch.

I was basically told I'd have to learn how to play.

That's right.

Learn because of my job at the time.  Lots of vendor relationship management and the boss gave me a blank check to go shopping.  :-*

When I hung up my cleats at 35, I decided to get a little more serious and here I am today...
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Doug Wright

« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2008, 05:35:52 PM »
My Dad. I was 10 years old.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back