News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

Tredyffrin: another Philly area NLE
« on: November 13, 2008, 04:44:04 PM »
I've heard some say that Tredyffrin might have been one of Findlay's best designs.  I recently came upon the formal opening announcement of the course in the November 30, 1919 issue of the Public Ledger.  I guess in the soft opening of the course on June 16, 1918, a blurb in the Ledger came out where not so curiously, Fred Pickering's name is mentioned:

This latest find is really a fun read as a fairly detailed description is given, together with what looks like is a topo diagram of the layout.  I need to compare how it is below to an article I have from 1924, as well as Wexler's book to see if it changed much from 1919.

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Tredyffrin: another Philly area NLE
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 04:56:57 PM »
Joe,

How long did this club exist?

That's some valuable real estate there.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Kirk Gill

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 05:26:20 PM »
Looking at a map, was this course betweeen Leopard Road on the West, and Longcourse Lane on the East? The streets there have names like Fairway Road, and E. and W. Golf Club Lane........even though there's no current golf course there, with the nearest being Waynesborough just down the road a bit.........Isn't that a Chevy dealership there around where the first green used to be, or am I completely off kilter?
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Joe Bausch

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 05:35:25 PM »
Joe,

How long did this club exist?

That's some valuable real estate there.

Wexler's book says 1944 is when it was sold to developers.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 05:40:52 PM »
Looking at a map, was this course betweeen Leopard Road on the West, and Longcourse Lane on the East? The streets there have names like Fairway Road, and E. and W. Golf Club Lane........even though there's no current golf course there, with the nearest being Waynesborough just down the road a bit.........Isn't that a Chevy dealership there around where the first green used to be, or am I completely off kilter?

Kirk, I think it even went a little west of Leopard Road (Rte 252).  But your location is pretty much correct.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 05:59:54 PM »
If you have Wexler's "Lost Links" book, then turn his course diagram 180° to make the comparison to the diagram above.  Wexler's book says he used a description of the course from 1938, and he wonders if somehow if it might have changed, in particular the 'unusual' par 3 ending.  Well, I've compared his 1938 diagram to the one above and not much changed at all, IMO.  The layout is basically the same, although the yardages he lists are different:

#1 400
#2 340
#3 360
#4 390
#5 370
#6 165
#7 420
#8 390
#9 530

for 3365

#10 500
#11 440
#12 370
#13 155
#14 365
#15 135
#16 420
#17 412
#18 190

2987 for a total 6352.

I'm confused by the par rating in the article above, which says it is 71.  I believe it was a par 69.

mike_malone

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 06:02:39 PM »
 I wonder when Quakers changed from being against games to playing golf. I imagine they played it for the fun and not the competition.
AKA Mayday

Kyle Harris

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 06:32:35 PM »
If you have Wexler's "Lost Links" book, then turn his course diagram 180° to make the comparison to the diagram above.  Wexler's book says he used a description of the course from 1938, and he wonders if somehow if it might have changed, in particular the 'unusual' par 3 ending.  Well, I've compared his 1938 diagram to the one above and not much changed at all, IMO.  The layout is basically the same, although the yardages he lists are different:

#1 400
#2 340
#3 360
#4 390
#5 370
#6 165
#7 420
#8 390
#9 530

for 3365

#10 500
#11 440
#12 370
#13 155
#14 365
#15 135
#16 420
#17 412
#18 190

2987 for a total 6352.

I'm confused by the par rating in the article above, which says it is 71.  I believe it was a par 69.

Could there have been half par holes?

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 10:58:26 PM »
I wonder when Quakers changed from being against games to playing golf. I imagine they played it for the fun and not the competition.

Michael,

Before the turn of last century with The Ozone Club.

The Quakers were responsible for building a number of clubs, resorts, and courses, including Pocono Manor and Buck Hill Falls Inn in the Poconos around 1900, with the first courses at those resorts being built in 1911 and 1907 respectively.   I've done some fairly extensive research on it, and if you're interested, I'll be happy to send it to you.

The Quakers strongly believed in fresh, open air and exercise as tonic to hard work and duty in the city.   

Eric Pevoto

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 11:07:14 PM »
That routing published on a simple topo map is unique.  I love it. 

Wasn't the clubhouse on the north side of Rt. 30?  There's been a fairly recent article on NLEs (by Neil Geogheghan) in one of the local papers or golf pubs with some interviews of early caddies.  I'll have to do little search.
There's no home cooking these days.  It's all microwave.Bill Kittleman

Golf doesn't work for those that don't know what golf can be...Mike Nuzzo

JNagle

Re: Tredyffrin: another Philly area NLE New
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 09:32:15 AM »
Below are two photos of Tredyffrin from the Hagley.  The course seems to have had few fairway bunkers, but that by no means devalues the quality of the course.  It would be tough to say if this was Findlay's best without being able to study the greens.  If his hand was in the construction of the greens, which is hard to think he was not, then they were likely to be excellent.  His greensites can be very interesting and be placed on the level with some the best classic era designers.    What is evident in the photos are bunkers that show up on many of his courses.  The wrap-around greenside bunker and the "pepperidge farm fish" bunker with an island.  We have seen him repeat bunker shapes on many of his courses as is evident with the other photos from Tavistock, Reading, Lebanon and Llanerch.

Many of Alexander Findlay creations are among the NLE category as he was one of the early pioneers of the game.  In fact
his family has fought for years to be considered the First Family of American Golf.

The following photos are of Tavistock:

Below is the old 8th hole that was lost due to I-295.  The tee and knob for the green are still evident.

This is the first green during grow-in.

This photos shows the 10th and 17th greens.  The lower portion is the 10th and the only truly untouched Findlay bunker is nesteld in the trees to the lower right of the tenth hole.  You can also see the 11th and old 5th (current 6th).

This photo also includes the current 17th, but picks up the 11th and 6th holes.  The 6th hole as it exists utilizes the original 5th green but played from a different angle.

This image reveals the simple fairway bunkering Findlay used on many of his courses.  The two bunkers are on the right of the 1st.  The middle green is the 9th and the wrap-around bunker is on the 18th.

To provide an idea of elevation change I have included the 9th as it exists.

This is the 9th before reconstruction.

Llanerch - late 20's.

Reading C.C. - The 4th green is the elevated green in the foreground, adjacent is the 7th.  The current 4th is much lower.  To the left one can see the 3rd.

This is the aerial for Lebanon C.C. (courtesy of Craig Disher) circa 1938.  Other photos have been added to show scale. 

The 16th at Lebanon -

Green surrounds at Lebanon - (I am 6'-3")
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 02:02:34 PM by JNagle »
It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or the doer of deeds could have done better.  The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; .....  "The Critic"

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 09:53:41 AM »
Ok...I think I need to get over to see Lebanon. 

Great pics, Jim...thanks for sharing.   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back