News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

Personal Par Aide
« on: November 13, 2008, 12:04:27 PM »
I just bought myself a Par Aide Hole Cutter to take with me through my career. Does anybody do this or can I add this to the list I'll be giving my therapist in 10 years?

Ian Larson

Re: Personal Par Aide
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 02:35:21 PM »
Im currently in the doghouse at the homestaed for buying new soil probes, seive pans and a electronic microscope. About a month ago I told her we should wait on the trip to Cabo and then this stuff showed up at the door. She couldnt even begin to try to understand.....

John_Cullum

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 02:42:54 PM »
I just bought myself a Par Aide Hole Cutter to take with me through my career. Does anybody do this or can I add this to the list I'll be giving my therapist in 10 years?

I wouldn't wait 10 years
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 02:53:06 PM »
I think I need one myself as my shots to the green invariably wind up next to yesterday's hole location. If I had one, I could immediately cut a hole next to my ball. :D
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 03:05:07 PM »
I'm also going to construct a wooden box frame to transport it. Nothing worse than a hole cutter getting dinged up in the back of a cart during the day's travels.

For me, the hole cutter is probably the most "intimate" tool in the golf course superintendent's tool shed. Not only is it the thing which carries the "final" act of daily green maintenance (the changing of the cup) it is also responsible for one of the more visible and noted aspects of the business - setting the daily target.

I'm surprised at how neglected hole cutters can be and wish to make things a bit more personal. Perhaps I over-romanticize my career a bit, but at least I care.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 03:20:22 PM »
I just bought myself a Par Aide Hole Cutter to take with me through my career.

Pardon my ignorance, is Par Aide the Cadillac of Hole Cutters? What do you get from a really good one that a dingned up one can't provide?
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

C. Squier

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 03:27:15 PM »
Nothing wrong w/ having your own personal Excalibur. 

People need to give a shit about their work, you've made a personal investment in yours.  I think that's cool.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 03:33:01 PM »
Kyle,

Are you getting the lever action hole cutter?

http://www.paraide.com/product_detail.aspx?pid=790&cid=35

Or the foot extraction one?

http://www.paraide.com/product_detail.aspx?pid=798&cid=35

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Matt OBrien

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 03:36:17 PM »
Kyle,
Now you dont have any excuses for crooked cups at HV. It will save me a few phone calls or texts when I have the first loop out.      ;)

Mark Smolens

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 04:01:08 PM »
Kyle, your post is one of the reasons I love this site. . .  gotta love a man who lives/loves his work.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 04:07:08 PM »
Kyle,

Are you getting the lever action hole cutter?

http://www.paraide.com/product_detail.aspx?pid=790&cid=35

Or the foot extraction one?

http://www.paraide.com/product_detail.aspx?pid=798&cid=35

Lever action. I wear a size 14 boot. I try to foot extraction ones and end up tripping over myself.

Pete,

The Par Aide can be called that. There is also the "Hole-in-one" (HIO) which features a large counterweight capable of bringing the hole plug out in one go. It can be a bit "easier" but I'm not a fan. With the Par Aide style, most people cut the hole by taking the top portion of the plug out, placing it into a bucket and then take the remainder of the plug out to get the correct depth. Doing it in two pieces allows the cutter to get up close and personal with the soil profile and for me at least, do a better job. I think the HIO promotes laziness and doing the job in a rushed manner.

Think of the difference between driving a standard and automatic transmission.

Ian Larson

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 04:11:49 PM »
Cant get any better than a simple lever action par aide Kyle. What did you name it?

Greg Chambers

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 04:12:59 PM »
I personally prefer the foot extraction style.  But to each his own.  Never would have thought of buying my own, however, I don't let anybody use the one I use.  I did have a "lucky shovel" that had been with me for four grow-ins.  Unfortunately, it broke finally during the most recent, which is ironic, since the project is now on hold.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Kyle Harris

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 04:13:12 PM »
Cant get any better than a simple lever action par aide Kyle. What did you name it?

Man, that's been my quandary all afternoon. I'm not sure yet. It's still on order from Pocono Turf.

I'm going to list my Assistant and Superintendent positions along the side of the carrier, and the years which I am at those places. Maybe the dates I replace the sleeve, should it ever come to that, as well.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 04:15:03 PM by Kyle Harris »

Greg Chambers

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 04:15:18 PM »
you'll know its name as soon as it comes out of the box
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

C. Squier

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 04:16:26 PM »
Lever action is the only way.  

And I agree, you need to take the plug out in two sections.  If you pay attention, you'll know every green's composition by memory within no time.  I used to love cutting pins, it was my favorite job by far on the grounds crew growing up.  

rjsimper

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 04:18:55 PM »
What is the price difference between the lever and foot action options

Kyle Harris

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 04:19:37 PM »
What is the price difference between the lever and foot action options

$10-$20 I think, with the foot action being the cheaper.

Greg Chambers

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 04:21:34 PM »
$21.50, lever action more expensive

Kalen Braley

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 05:01:26 PM »
I have my own computer at home...does that make me a hero 2?   ;D  :o

Dave_Miller

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2008, 05:08:09 PM »
I have my own computer at home...does that make me a hero 2?   ;D  :o

Kalen:
No you're still the Sandman ;D ;D ;)
Dave

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2008, 05:08:40 PM »
Kyle

What next????

Ken Moum

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2008, 05:24:42 PM »
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2008, 06:54:29 PM »
I bet Mike Young could name it for you....
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Pat Brockwell

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2008, 07:15:38 PM »
I went to the HIO this year to take the twisting motion out of the task and my sacrum.  I always have preferred taking the plug in one piece to preserve the full root length in the plug.  I eschew emotional attachment to tools.  I try to save my affections for those who can return them, my wife, my dog, my turf...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back