News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Ugliness and beauty beside a golf course.
« on: November 13, 2008, 11:33:36 AM »
I think these houses, beside the 8th fairway at San Lorenzo, may just be the most vulgar of any I have seen overlooking a golf course.

This is, of course one of the ugliest of them all:

And this puts that vulgarity in its place. Opulent yes:

I'm sure you can better these. Do share them with us.

Brian_Ewen

Re: Ugliness and beauty beside a golf course.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 11:43:33 AM »
Mark , please tell me what you would like the "ugliest of them all" replaced with .

Rich Goodale

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 11:44:28 AM »
As Joyce Wethered would have said:

"What houses?  What hotel?  What clubhouse?"

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 11:49:20 AM »
A steam-operated light railway to Leuchars Junction, with 'orrible black sheds, but no hotel, which so dominates the view from the R&A. That said, the building behind the 18th green (was it a hotel, then student accommodation?) with the turret is pretty ghastly.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 11:53:40 AM »
I always have this uneasy feeling that , the shot over the sheds will be taken away from us some day.......better the devil you know .......sort of thing ??

This one IS looking a little shoddy ( taken 13 days ago)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 11:55:14 AM by Brian_Ewen »

Phil McDade

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 12:08:58 PM »
Brian:

Hasn't the R&A, or the Links Trust, recently announced plans to purchase the old red building behind the 18th at TOC? I have always loved the look of that building; the first time I drove into St. Andrews, sort of wondering if I was on the right track, I looked up and saw the building looming over the 1st tee/18th green -- what a sight!

Ed Tilley

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 12:15:27 PM »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 12:15:55 PM »

I love houses around a golf course. As a matter of fact I think Bandon needs a subdivision.

Just kidding.

I was critisized because I said Pinehurst wasn't a 10 because of the houses.

Anthony

Mark Pearce

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 03:41:47 PM »

Ed,

Is that the mill behind the 4th green at Silloth?  It looks like it but I can't work out what the fairway in the top right is.  If not, where is it?

Can anyone offer pictures of the backdrop at Seaton Carew?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Matt OBrien

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 03:49:01 PM »
I have not been there but have seen pictures of the area around Bayonne. I know the area and all i can remember of it was a trash dump and factories.

Deucie Bies

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 03:51:48 PM »
I don't have a picture of them, but the apartments to the right of the first hole at SFGC are hideous.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 04:05:02 PM »

Would you consider this ugliness or beauty?

Lou_Duran

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 04:09:34 PM »
Funny, my only round with this site's founder was at Pinion Hills in NM.  Here we came upon an elementary school abutting the course and Ran waxed on for some time in great delight about how the childern recreating during recess just made the whole experience complete.  Me, I didnt mind the buildings but found the noise unsettling.

A bit ironic, at Chambers Bay, the remnants of what I was told were separating bins for the gravel once mined on the site struck my eye in a very negative way.  With the beautiful Sound as the background, these things at a distance have the appearance of a long abandoned construction site.  I asked why they hadn't been bulldozed when the course was being built and was told that they are being preserved because of their "historical significance".  I would think that a "vulgar" residential regime such as San Lorenzo's would be a great improvement, but my tastes seem to run a bit different than those prevailing here.  

Patrick Boyd

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 04:12:41 PM »
I have not been there but have seen pictures of the area around Bayonne. I know the area and all i can remember of it was a trash dump and factories.

I was just thinking that and have been there......Bayonne is an artificial oasis in a desert of industrial crap, the view though through all the cranes and shipping containers of the city is pretty righteous though.....

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 04:13:18 PM »

Let's make GCA grate again!

Mike Benham

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 05:11:15 PM »
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Kalen Braley

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 05:20:40 PM »
Mike,

Tony was clearly trying to point out how the cartpaths have spoiled the picture.  What did you think it was?  ::)  ::)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 05:55:06 PM »
Mark:

That first picture is kids' stuff compared to Silver Creek CC, San Jose, CA.  I do not have any pictures of it, but those who have played there will hopefully confirm - there are McMansions like that alongside damn near every hole.  It really is hideous.

As for the rest, don't you all remember your Mucci Doctrine?  External views don't matter at all.  Shame on you all.

;)

Patrick Boyd

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 06:05:34 PM »
I've played Silver Creek many times and concur.  The place is rampant with stuccoed McMansion-ness topped off with a hideous ersatz waterfall just off the 18th green.

Of course, the alternative is playing The Ranch just down the road....but I won't go there (literally and metaphorically).

Kalen Braley

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 06:27:45 PM »
Patrick,

Thats too bad...The Ranch is Toms favorite course.  Careful of speaking any ill words against it.  ;)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2008, 06:32:23 PM »
 ;D

I think Patrick's been around here enough to know that well.. he and I share the same opinion of THE RANCH.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2008, 06:47:42 PM »

Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Ed Tilley

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2008, 05:16:23 AM »

Ed,

Is that the mill behind the 4th green at Silloth?  It looks like it but I can't work out what the fairway in the top right is.  If not, where is it?

Can anyone offer pictures of the backdrop at Seaton Carew?

Mark,

Yes it's the 4th at Silloth. The 'fairway' in the background is the practice ground.

TEPaul

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2008, 07:13:07 AM »
There is something really awful looking like a tacky trailer park right behind the 14th green at Royal county Down but I didn't take a picture of it. Ironic indeed as the backdrop at the other end of the course (The Mountains of Mourne) is one of the most beautiful in golf.

I understand right behind one of the greens at one of the Donald Trump courses in West Palm Beach is the West Palm Beach city jail and so not only is it unattractive looking but you also apparently have inmates yelling profanities at the golfers and sexually explicit remarks at the women golfers. This is supposed to be one of the most effective audio/psychological HAZARDS in the entire world of golf course architecture. Noone is quite sure yet what the appropriate strategy is for it.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2008, 07:29:17 AM »
Tom

The trees bock it now (see Ran's course profile).

The new flats at Portrush are pretty bad.  Most blatantly obvious behind the 17th green on the big course.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back