News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ken Moum

Re: Ugliness and beauty beside a golf course.
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2008, 11:48:41 AM »
One should never overlook the view at the far end of Royal Dornoch--of course you do get to turn your back on it pretty quickly after comes into view.

I am not one to dwell on the view from a golf course, given that I play a 95-year-old course that is surrounded by a not-so-nice neighborhood.

Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Ken Moum

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2008, 11:55:03 AM »
Then there's the reverse effect--looking out the window on our first morning in St. Andrews:

Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2008, 12:01:26 PM »
Two lovely seaside greens:

and a chimney:

This Hartlepool Golf Club on the County Durham coast.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2008, 12:15:29 PM »
The development course is just a fact of life ....

At the TOC, the experience is accepted and the buildings are distinguished so they frame and enhance.  This is the rare exception.

Usually the development needs to minimize or hide.  I think Pebble Beach does a reasonably good job at this particularly along the 14th hole.  The residences are set back, single story and do not make a lot of design statement.

The golf course developer and housing developer would need to be one and the same and a very rare person to pull all this off ... a lot of vision, will, sacrifice of quick profits and perseverance
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 12:47:26 PM by Carl Rogers »

Gary Slatter

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2008, 01:08:07 PM »
To me personally the ugliness just makes the golf courses look better.  Regarding the poor trailor park neighbourhoods -  over here I have found out everyone from the Rolling Stones to golf pros stay in caravans because they are always next to the best spots!

Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2008, 01:11:42 PM »
Then there's the reverse effect--looking out the window on our first morning in St. Andrews:

Ken,

That looks like a room at Russacks that I stayed in many years ago. I think it was built for their indentured servants. Did the floor slope toward the window, if so, yes, that's definitely the room.

Bob

Tim Taylor

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2008, 03:23:00 PM »

Ulrich, I actually think that is a nice looking modern building. The island teeing area is more offensive to me  ;D

Tim
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 03:25:41 PM by Tim Taylor »

Ken Moum

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2008, 03:26:53 PM »
Ken,

That looks like a room at Russacks that I stayed in many years ago. I think it was built for their indentured servants. Did the floor slope toward the window, if so, yes, that's definitely the room.

Bob

I don't recall whether the floor sloped or not, but the view from the "throne" was almost better than that one.

We wouldn't have been there at all except that I accidentally discovered that Sunday's at Russacks was one of the best bargains in St. Andrews.

IIRC, we paid 80 or 90 GBP for the room on Sunday night, and it was more than 250 GBP on Thurs-Sat. Monday morning we moved to Annandale House on Murray Park.

Regardless, the view from the loo on Monday morning at 6 a.m. was worth the price.

K

RJ_Daley

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2008, 03:32:12 PM »
The backdrop of TOC 18th is part of golf's soul.  TOC is part of the town, and the town is part of TOC.  I can't even imagine if the old red hotel was ever replaced with anything modern.  It would really be worse than Kohler's upgrade hotel on 17.

To me, there is nothing quite as picturesque as a church steeple or lighthouse as a backdrop.  

Of course the housing stock around my personal favorite golf course, Wild Horse, is the one detraction that can't be avoided.  I guess the fact that they are diverse, from modest to McMansions by Nebraska standards, is at least significant of it being a community supported golf course.  

Where the heck is San Lorenzo?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2008, 05:58:04 AM »
Mark

I had better dig out a couple of photos of my home course - the Pacific Ocean combined with a sewerage works  ;)

The Coast (NSW) has the ocean as a backdrop + Long Bay gaol

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2008, 07:24:03 AM »

these power lines are killer.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

paul cowley

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2008, 08:09:15 AM »
Personally I don't have a problem with any manmade structures as long as they aren't in play.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Mark_Fine

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2008, 08:28:44 AM »
I think we all sometimes forget that golf was once played down city streets in the center of towns as well as across the open countryside.  I would have thought some of the purists here would have embraced that original concept of the game with some of these photos  ;)

Frankly it is great to see golf has evolved to all types of settings.  Thank goodness it has or there would be far fewer of us here talking about it. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back