News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JohnV

Trump buying in the Monterey area?
« on: November 12, 2008, 11:10:02 PM »
Rumor has it that The Donald is looking at buying Pasadera CC or already has.  It is a Jack Nicklaus course just east of Laguna Seca.

Joel_Stewart

Re: Trump buying in the Monterey area?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 11:17:12 PM »
Good luck.  Its a perfect course that should be bulldozed and start over.  The front nine is terrible, the back nine is just OK.   Great clubhouse.

The slowdown in the silicon valley has doomed this development.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 11:32:07 PM »
The Nicklaus course is laid out on not the most salubrious property on the Peninsula. However, the clubhouse and environs are of the utmost beauty and quality with a classsic dining room and some of the best food to be had in the area.

The developers did a great job for the  residents but the golf course leaves something to be desired.

Bob

rjsimper

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 12:00:27 AM »
If this is true it will not be a Nicklaus course for long

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 12:09:29 AM »
(In Donald Speak)
I guarantee this will be the best course in the world. It will be better then Pebble Beach; better then Cypress Point; better then Poppy Hil.....never mind!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 08:24:00 AM »
(In Donald Speak)
I guarantee this will be the best course in the world. It will be better then Pebble Beach; better then Cypress Point; better then Poppy Hil.....never mind!

Donald talks like Gary Player, maybe he should hire Gary for the renovation!

Rich Goodale

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 08:28:11 AM »
(In Donald Speak)

What The Donald acutally said was:

"I guarantee that Tom(my) Naccarato will dis this course, before he has ever seen it."

:-*

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 08:39:03 AM »
Listen, I would give Donald the benefit of the doubt as I know he had some good taste in hiring Hawtree & Son for Scotland!

Rich Goodale

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 08:41:11 AM »
Me too, Tommy.  Let's suck it and see (as they say in Fife).  And yes, Hawtree is the best architect that seems to fly competely below the gca.com radar. :'(

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 09:10:46 AM »
I'm anxious to see that group in a good environment--what they can do. Its going to be interesting. I say they should make that guy's farm part of a huge hazard straight out of British Golf Links!

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 11:45:45 AM »
This, hot off the press from the Herald.

http://www.montereyherald.com/local/ci_10972462

Bob

Mike Hendren

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 11:55:40 AM »
Word down here is that he's Huntley's straw man.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 12:01:06 PM »
What , you think Hawtree will still have the Trump job after next years Open Championship ?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 12:03:15 PM by Brian_Ewen »

Jed Peters

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 12:25:41 PM »
I don't know how this can be a bad thing--I like what he did with the one Trump course that I've seen--Trump National Bedminster--and the surrounding accoutrements like the clubhouse, range, pool area, etc.

Plus, I think that even though Donald is not all that popular on this board and in some other circles, he REALLY cares about his clubs, the game of golf, and providing a top-notch product for his people.

I'm in favor of something like this happening, personally. But then again, I'm not intimately familiar or attached the the club in question, or it's surrounding environs.

Mike Benham

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 01:47:17 PM »
Although it may not be a bad thing, I don't see why it is a good thing .... a good thing for The Donald.

How does he make his money off this deal?  If he invests more money, to get his return he needs to either, or maybe both, increase dues and fees or raise initiation and attract new members. 

Perhaps he might be better suited to take over the Bayonet project
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Lou_Duran

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 02:39:45 PM »
Does the deal include some developable land?

What is happening with the Bayonet project?

Does anyone know how well his Los Angeles/Palos Verdes course is doing?  It was nearly empty on a nice weekend day the only time I visited (didn't play).

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 03:01:15 PM »
From the article:
"Yes, there's interest," said Glick. "I love the area, it's premium land, and I think it would fit great for the Trump brand."

Is that what you meant by "laid out on not the most salubrious property on the Peninsula", Bob?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ian Larson

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 03:10:49 PM »
What he's doing and his attitude about the game of golf and its community is great. I dont think anyone can deny that. But I honestly think we cant take him seriously because of his douchieness. 

Jed Peters

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 03:12:16 PM »
From the article:

Is that what you meant by "laid out on not the most salubrious property on the Peninsula", Bob?

I'd imagine because they used to explode bombs in the land where many of the holes and homes are routed?

Or because just across the street is prohibited government land where minesweepers have not yet traveled?

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 03:22:16 PM »
Does the deal include some developable land?

What is happening with the Bayonet project?

Does anyone know how well his Los Angeles/Palos Verdes course is doing?  It was nearly empty on a nice weekend day the only time I visited (didn't play).

Lou,
The Entourage Boys have assured that the course will get its due when they were recently on an episode. One nice thing is that its a "Republican Free" golf course, but thats about the only nice thing other then the view... other then maybe Turtle falling off of a cliff, only to be caught in the arms by some unsuspecting babe.....
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 03:23:58 PM by Tom Naccarato »

Lou_Duran

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2008, 04:43:54 PM »
Tom,

I am sure that your comments are witty and informative, but they flew right over my head.  Care to explain in plain, simple "Republican" English?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2008, 04:52:05 PM »
Tom,

I am sure that your comments are witty and informative, but they flew right over my head.  Care to explain in plain, simple "Republican" English?

Sorry Lou,

Tom doesn't do W.
 ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2008, 05:12:51 PM »
From the article:

I'd imagine because they used to explode bombs in the land where many of the holes and homes are routed?

Or because just across the street is prohibited government land where minesweepers have not yet traveled?

Jed has explained the gist of it. However, a part of the course has a sweeping downhill par four of enormous length that feels somewhat awkward. It also has a par three across a canyon the edge of which abuts the green.  The green itself has a steep drop away at the back to out of bounds stakes just yards away. At about 200 yards from the back tees I think it one of the tougher short holes on the Peninsula.

Bob

Lou_Duran

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2008, 06:59:40 PM »
Bob,

Do you subscribe to the notion that a golf course should not be built on an "indifferent" piece of land as a poster earlier suggested?  I have no personal knowledge of the club Trump is looking to buy, but I know of some truly horrid courses that are loved and frequently played by their members and customers.  Woodhaven CC and Z-Boaz in Fort Worth readily come to mind.   

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2008, 08:14:14 PM »
Bob,

Do you subscribe to the notion that a golf course should not be built on an "indifferent" piece of land as a poster earlier suggested?  I have no personal knowledge of the club Trump is looking to buy, but I know of some truly horrid courses that are loved and frequently played by their members and customers.  Woodhaven CC and Z-Boaz in Fort Worth readily come to mind.   

Lou,

I do not subscribe to the notion you mention, frankly, it sounds awfully snobbish. There are courses around the world where keen golfers with little or no money have built a course on ground they could afford and that has given much pleasure to many.

One of my most wonderful days playing the game was on the nine hole layout on the Nuanetsi Ranch in Matabeleland. Hardly a blade of grass and one used a rolled up piece of paper/cardboard on which to place the ball. Failing to do so would cause havoc on your clubs.
It was like playing in a game reserve.

Bob

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back