News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel_Stewart

Re: Trump buying in the Monterey area?
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2008, 08:34:02 PM »

This is a 3 par on the back nine.   Its by far the best hole on the course.  You then play the 500 yard 4 par which goes straight down hill.

I'm not sure how this course could be fixed.   I believe Neal actually did the routing and then the Nicklaus group took it over?

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2008, 09:42:29 PM »

This is a 3 par on the back nine.   Its by far the best hole on the course.  You then play the 500 yard 4 par which goes straight down hill.

I'm not sure how this course could be fixed.   I believe Neal actually did the routing and then the Nicklaus group took it over?
Joel,

Thanks for the photograph. My. that is one difficult hole.

Bob

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2008, 10:07:18 PM »
Me too, Tommy.  Let's suck it and see (as they say in Fife). 

They don't only say it in Fife, Ricardo!

TX Golf

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2008, 10:30:42 PM »
Lou,

Without watching the HBO series Entourage, Tom's comments might be a tad difficult to understand. Turtle is a character on the show..

JohnV

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2008, 02:28:53 PM »
According to the Monterey Herald, the Donald has decided not to buy Pasadera. 

Trump says he won't buy Pasadera

The article says the course is losing $2.5M a year and has an $8M callable mortgage among other problems.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2008, 02:13:01 AM »
Interesting - that sounds like it is right up the Douche-nald's alley . . . hold on - indifferent land, no go. Worst case, he reno's a crappy course by the ocean (or a sea) - best case, it turns out to be killer because 5 architects didn't walk out on him.

BTW - He's a 4 handicap - like really - no, like really, really, he even said so.

O yeah, and Bandon sucks because it is in the middle of nowhere and Keiser is an idiot because his business model will never work . . .  :P

Rich Goodale

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2008, 07:03:52 AM »
Gib, Neal, Dave (one of Gib's workmates) and I played Pasdadera in 2001(2?).  Joel is right that Neal did the original routing of the course  (for RM Graves), much of which was retained by the Nicklaus organization (Jim Lipe) when they actually built the course.  I personally liked the front 9 (flatland) much better than the back (mountain goat country).  The back is more like a nearly vertical Old Head than a golf course.  Climbing up the hill you have a 430 yard par-5 which is unreachable to complement the downhill 500 yard par-4 which was a drive a 5 iron for me and probably driver/lob wedge for the really big hitters today.

The real problem with Pasadera is that they tried to build 18 holes on a piece of property  which (after the land for housing was accounted for) could only really accommodate a 9-holer.  So, like the grand old Duke of York, they made you march your way up the hill and then march you down again to fill out the 18.  Anybody buying the place would do well to turn the golf course into a 9-holer or an executive layout and use the mountain holes as lots for McMansions (the views are spectacular).  I'd keep the across the canyon 14th as a bye hole and or a mountaineering school.

BTW, the four of us walked the course and carried--the first time it had ever been done according to the bemused/fearful-for-our-life caddy/cart master, and probably the last.  And, as said above, the facilities are world-class.  Somebody will eventually make a go of the place, but not with the current golf course, IMHO.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back