News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig Disher

Southern Pines CC - Improvements
« on: November 11, 2008, 12:56:21 PM »
This course has been discussed frequently here but the improvements made over the last year or so haven't gotten as much notice. Beyond the tremendous upgrade in conditioning the club has taken out trees, some of which just grew over the years and some of which were planted to "beautify" the property.

One example is the short par 4 11th where the fairway bunkers on the right have been restored and several pines removed. Another is the peak to peak par 3 7th. The first photo was taken several years ago and I think the trees in the valley eventually blocked the view of the green. The second was taken last month - I almost jumped out of my shoes when I walked up to the tee.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 09:25:32 PM by Craig Disher »

Jeff_Mingay

Re: Southern Pines CC - Improvements
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 01:14:50 PM »
Good news, Craig.

I've enjoyed Southern Pines the couple times I played there (don't believe Morrissett if he tells you I lost a ball a hole, off the tee!); the course has excellent potential.

Who's advising on the work? Is it being done in-house?

Curious,
jeffmingay.com

Craig Disher

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 01:48:14 PM »
The course is now managed by Avestra which also has taken over 3 other properties in the area. As far as I know, all the work at SPCC is being done in-house under the direction of a new superintendent. I even heard talk of re-opening the Cardinal 9 - I don't see the market for it but it would be a good addition, especially since the first 9 doesn't end at the clubhouse.

Every October I visit the area with a few old friends. We played SPCC for a couple of years but it was voted off the rota because of the conditioning - and in spite of my pleading. This year I insisted and it's back on the list by unanimous consent.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 02:27:31 PM »
Again, very good news. Thanks Craig.
jeffmingay.com

Bart Bradley

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 02:31:29 PM »
Craig:

I visited Southern Piness CC 2 weekends ago.  I agree that the course was in very good condition and a lot of fun.  The greens were certainly challenging and had lots of subtle and not so subtle movement.  Some of the bunkering didn't exactly look like Ross to me.  The routing is wonderful.   I really enjoyed my time there.

Bart

Brent Hutto

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 03:09:20 PM »
Thanks for posting that, Craig. The first time I played at Southern Pines, not that many years ago, the tees between tee and green were fairly small and it was winter so they had no leaves. By my second visit a couple years later they were a real distraction and ruined a lovely hole, especially given that there were leaves that time around.

I would think that some judicious tree removal might also be helping keep a better crop of grass on many of the holes that were shaded for too much of the day. The times I've been there the turf was spotty and I recall noticing pretty extensive shadiness at many points on the course.

John Moore II

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 07:04:40 PM »
So far as I remember (its been nearly a year since I worked for the SPCC management group) all the work was being done in-house. The director of grounds for all Avestra Golf courses, Brook Vickery, is a really sharp guy and was the grow-in Super for both Mid South and Pinehurst National. It was also part of the lease agreement that Avestra signed with the Southern Pines Elks Club for them to do some rather extensive renovations to the existing 18 holes, with a strong potential of reopening the Cardinal 9 holes that still roughly exist. They also spoke about rebuilding another 9 holes that were closed back in the 40's.

Jon Heise

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 07:15:06 PM »
Playing there in early Dec, and very very excited!  Glad to hear there is a commitment to improving the course.
I still like Greywalls better.

Dale_McCallon

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 10:15:30 AM »
I just back from playing in the area this week, and I will say SPCC was a real treat.  I thought the conditioning was outstanding and the greens were in fabulous shape.  They rolled fast and very true.

I loved the feel and character of the place--definitely a place I would recommend.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back