News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re: Who Introduced You To The Game
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2008, 07:00:01 PM »
My dad was an avid golfer, a good player as a kid who hadn't played much for years when I was 12 or 13.  We lived in Novato in Marin County, north of San Francisco.  A public course, Indian Valley Golf Club, opened that year and pretty soon my dad got us a family membership.  Before that he took my brother and me down to San Rafael to a lighted pitch and putt called Las Gallinas.  Interestingly enough that is where Phoenix GCAer Bill Shulz also learned to play!  I'm not sure how we figured that out!

Dad was my only teacher for years.  By the time I was a freshman in high school we had a golf team at Novato High School and I made the team.  The rest, as they say, is history.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2008, 07:01:15 PM »
My story may be a bit unusual...neither of my parents play...My maternal grandmother (now deceased) took up golf in late adulthood and introduced me to the game.  I would spend 1 week with her every summer and she started me on the game at the age of 4 or 5...I started out just chipping an putting.  I think that the first several years, my exposure was limited to that one week in the summer.   But I loved it and kept trying to find ways of playing more and more.  Peru Municipal (Peru, IN) was the site of my first 30 trips to the course...it still exists...and still costs less than $20 even at peak times.

2 years ago, I took my son back to Peru Muni...we had a great time and it brought back fond memories....

Thank you Grandma...you have made my life much, much better for making golf a part of my life.

Bart

Tom Birkert

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2008, 07:09:40 PM »
I'm the first in my family to play golf. I got interested watching it on TV in the mid 80s, and my Mother took me to a golf range and I graduated from there onto a public course, with her walking round with me until I was in my teenage years and old enough to go on my own. I really took it up more with the free time and access to a car that I had at Uni.

My father used to come to the range occasionally with us, and even ventured out on the course with me, but didn't really enjoy it.

So it was mainly down to the enthusiasm of my Mother, and I think of her everytime I get out onto the course. One of my biggest regrets is that her health didn't allow her to join me for Sunday lunch at my Club as she'd have loved that.

Steve Hyden

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2008, 07:09:52 PM »
I grew up near a muny but wasn't into golf until I hit 14.  By then I had a crush on a girl who lived in my neighborhood who was a terrific athlete and ace golfer.  I went with her and a couple of friends after school one spring afternoon and watched as she hit a 200 yd. drive off the first tee.  I was hooked.  It took me most of the season just to learn to get the ball airborne and she didn't play with me too often.

She went on to win a couple of New York State Women's Ams, but wrist problems prevented her from realizing her LPGA tour ambitions.  Today she is a teaching pro in upstate New York.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2008, 07:24:16 PM »
My Dad started a week before I did and I carried his bag in a local charity tournament, the Harvey Wallbanger at Cordova Golf Course, still one of the cheapest 18's in America. One of his buddies was an avid golfer and gave him a set of old clubs to play in the tourny and a couple of basic lessons. He went out and got a third place plaque in the Calloway division. And we both were hooked.  :D
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

tlavin

« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2008, 07:41:46 PM »
My dad played a little bit and he wanted me and my brothers to learn the game, so he bought us clubs for christmas when I was 13.  He was a Coca Cola truck driver and he used to drop us off at the course on his way to the plant, around 5:15 a.m. and we would hop the fence and play until we got caught.

Patrick Boyd

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2008, 08:25:00 PM »
My mother married my stepfather when I was 11, at the time I was an avid tennis player.  We went to Hawaii the summer after they got married and was convinced to take a golf lesson before the trip.

Needless to say, I was addicted instantly and quit playing tennis all together.  Mauna Kea is still one of my favorite RTJs as a result of many memorable summers.  He also introduced me to many great courses over the years; experiences I treasure.

About 5 years ago he stopped playing the game when arthritis got the better of him, but about once a year I can convince him to come out with with my mom and ride for a round.  He usually will throw a ball or two on the more interesting greens throughout the round and "show us how it's done."

rjsimper

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2008, 08:53:11 PM »
My mom.

She played competitive amateur golf and by the time I turned 10 or so she was still a solid single digit handicap. 

She and my grandparents all played...interestingly, my dad never did except for a few trips to the range with me.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2008, 10:05:00 PM »
My father, easily.

He tried to get me into right handed clubs at an early age, but I was destined to be a lefty.  We went to the nearby Golfers Warehouse (NLE) across the street from Canton (CT) Public Golf Course (also NLE); it was a little pitching wedge that is still at home somewhere.

My dad helped me with the fundamentals of the swing, but aside from attending a couple group golf camps at a nearby executive course (Westwoods GC in Farmington, CT) led by the head pro Jim Tennant, and a few lessons from Mr. Tennant and Hop Meadow CC (the club we've belonged to for all my life) pro Ken Doyle, I've pretty much taught myself.  But I've played a ton of golf with my dad along the way.  We don't play as often anymore because I'm away at college, but he tries to come to a couple tournaments, and it's great to see him whenever he does.  He'll tell you that he "created a monster" in getting me hooked on golf, because while it's been a long-time hobby for him, it's become a great passion and probably an obsession for me.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2008, 06:15:49 AM »
My father & my uncle.

Both played the game and their routine during family holidays was for them to play 18 holes in the morning.  I used to walk round with them but as I am left handed and neither of them were I didn't get to hit shots.  One holiday (when I would have been around 9 years old) I was presented with a half set of clubs and a quick lesson in the basics of the game.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Rich Goodale

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2008, 08:39:39 AM »
Golf was part of my parents' life (they met at a country club), but neither of them played after getting married, for various reasons.

I probably introduced myself to the game by hitting fungos with a bag of old balls deposited in our sports closet.  The fact that I could hit an old Kro-Flite about 3-4 times farther than I could a new hardball astonished me when I was 8 or so.  It still does.

I must say that my Dad taught me a proper grip, but I ignored him, as was my wont.......

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2008, 08:41:57 AM »

My introduction to the game started when I was very young. It started at St Andrews and was limited to the putting greens.

As my age moved into double figures I was taken into the R&A and shown the clubs, trophies and all the paraphernalia associated with Old & Young Tom. I was also advised about George & Jack Morris, James & Charlie Hunter achievements and contributions to the game. All this in a day, it scared the living daylights out of me as others around made statement along the lines of, see what is expected of you, and that it would be hard to follow, let alone match. I believed at that tender age 10/11 I was expected to somehow match their record. Sensing my alarmed state my father said you just enjoy yourself and do your best, I expect nothing more. It probably explains why I took up swimming & rugby with golf in equal third place with athletics in my teens.

My introduction was through my father. I started helping him getting his clubs then when able, started to help carry them, although that was usually just for a few yards. When on the West Sands I would take a ball and a junior club and play on the long rough expanse of reclaimed land that ran parallel to the beach. So my first real experience actually started on the putting greens of St Andrews, followed by some pitching on the West Sands then when age allowed, I played with my father.

I still find a links course totally invigorating and will always select one over an inland course. It maybe something to do with childhood memories or the way the course plays and changes its character due to the various weather modes.

To all those that have not had the opportunity of playing links golf, you just don’t know what you are missing – it’s certainly worth travelling some distance to experience. 

Brad Tufts

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2008, 09:44:37 AM »
My dad and my four grandparents.

My dad began his play at Salem Municipal (9, Stiles), which is where I first played on my own when I was 12 or 13.

I had played earlier with my grandparents at Tedesco, when we weren't members yet, in various (grand)parent-child tourneys, but didn't take to it until I was able to go with my friends.  In those years, baseball always took precedent.

Also, yearly vacations to Northern Maine were key, as the course across the lake, the Va-Jo-Wa, was always empty and they never cared what you were wearing, how many people were in your group, how long it took you to play, or how many holes you played.

Strangely enough, I had alot of influence from playing around my neigborhood with the plastic golf clubs Frankline used to make when I was 10-14.  I hit the plastic hollow balls (without holes!) all over the place, making my own courses and holes to certain trees, gutters, and fenceposts.  This is really how I learned how to move a ball left and right, and it helped you could hit the plastic iron off the pavement!

In about 1994, we joined Tedesco, and I was able to practice, and soon I could play on the HS team.  The competition really pulled me in and make me want to improve, and it fuels my play to this day...
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2008, 09:52:26 AM »
My father used to pick me up after work and go to the LeSeuer MN golf CLub to hit balls.  I remember a small wooden shack with a woden ramp and a galvanized pipe railing that I would use as a jungle gym.  This shack served as the pro shop.  On big days I was asked to walk along as he played the, then, nine holer.  I was 6 when we moved from LeSeuer. 

My frist lesson was given to me by Phil Reith at Woodhill in Minnesota when I was ten.  I'm now 53 and Phil, at last check, is still the gregarious pro at the Donald Ross classic. 

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2008, 11:23:09 AM »
Based on the responses to this question, I think it is a fair generalization to say that most people become golfers because someone else, as often as not a family member, took an interest in them and introduced them to the game.

But let's give this thread a couple more days to see where all the testimonies weigh in.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2008, 01:50:07 PM »

My introduction to the game started when I was very young. It started at St Andrews and was limited to the putting greens.

As my age moved into double figures I was taken into the R&A and shown the clubs, trophies and all the paraphernalia associated with Old & Young Tom. I was also advised about George & Jack Morris, James & Charlie Hunter achievements and contributions to the game. All this in a day, it scared the living daylights out of me as others around made statement along the lines of, see what is expected of you, and that it would be hard to follow, let alone match. I believed at that tender age 10/11 I was expected to somehow match their record. Sensing my alarmed state my father said you just enjoy yourself and do your best, I expect nothing more.

This one wins!

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2008, 02:02:36 PM »
From the early returns, I suspect I'm in the minority. Before I turned twenty five, I had no relative that had ever STEPPED on a golf course. No parent, grandparent, uncle, etc.
Growing up, my friends and I played-and competed- in everything. For my twelfth Christmas I received a set of Spaulding Executive clubs (much to the chagrin of the old man).
Figuring the old adage that hitting a baseball was the most difficult thing in sports, we all assumed golf would be a breeze.
In those early days, we would steal onto Manasquan River with just enough clubs we could run away with if caught. Since then, for twenty years, I've played once a week. Never had a lesson.
The family still doesn't understand my obsession and I tell them it's the greatest and worst hobby in the world. I'm "down" to a 12, but I can tell you my young friends and I are more stymied by that little white ball than anything Al Leiter ever threw at us.

P.S. Home for the holidays one Christmas, my grandfather, who watched golf religiously but never played, was absolutely awe-struck that I played. I still remember him asking, "REAL golf...on a course?"

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2008, 02:17:37 PM »

As my age moved into double figures I was taken into the R&A and shown the clubs, trophies and all the paraphernalia associated with Old & Young Tom. I was also advised about George & Jack Morris, James & Charlie Hunter achievements and contributions to the game. All this in a day, it scared the living daylights out of me as others around made statement along the lines of, see what is expected of you, and that it would be hard to follow, let alone match. I believed at that tender age 10/11 I was expected to somehow match their record. Sensing my alarmed state my father said you just enjoy yourself and do your best, I expect nothing more.

This one wins!

I agree! Talk about golf royalty.

Paul Jones

« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2008, 05:23:15 PM »
Grandfather and Uncle

Grew up on a small 9 hole course in New Iberia, LA.  My backyard was on the 9th hole.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2008, 06:29:27 PM »
My father never played the game.  His sports were billiards and handball.  But I had two older brothers (8 and 4 years older), and they each caddied.  It was through them that I got into golf.

We used to hit plastic balls around the neighborhood and play Thinking Man's Golf (the board game made up of 18 famous holes, and the roll of the dice along with your club selection decided the distance and angle of the shot).

Then in 1977 I finally joined my brothers (and my classmates as the club we caddied at was two blocks from our parish school) in the caddie yard.  That summer was also my first visit to a real driving range and to playing golf on a real course.

We continue to very much enjoy those few times each year when all three of us can get in a round together.

There were quite a few caddies in that caddie yard (Algonquin Golf Club; St. Louis, MO) whose introduction to golf was through caddying and not through their dads.  All of those lost caddies are also a lot of lost golfers.  Not only were we being introduced to golf, but we were also bonding with lifelong golf partners.  To this day, I still have more golfing friends from that caddie yard, then from elsewhere.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Jason Topp

« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2008, 09:58:35 AM »
My father introduced me, but I really got hooked when a group of friends decided to start playing at the local muni.  We paid $40 for the year, played daily and were always made to feel welcome by the pro and the regulars who played there. 

I had no idea my experience was rare until we moved to a larger city.

Not surprisingly, that town was a high school golf powerhouse for many years.

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2008, 09:36:45 AM »
39 GCAers responded to the question: who introduced you to the game.

31 were taken to play golf by a family member - and in 24 out of 31 instances, dad was involved on some level.

4 respondants took up the game on their own - 2 of those 4 discovered a good junior golf program in their childhood neighborhood, the other 2 saw golf played on television, and one of them admired Jack Nicholas.

The remaining 4 were introduced to the game through school friends.

SUMMARY

Only 10% of our respondants took up the game by their own volition, and even in those cases there was some outside encouragement, e.g. availability of good junior programs, someone buying the child a set of clubs.

20% took up the game after friends took them to play.

80% took up the game after family members took them to play.

One other point of interest was that only 10-15% took up golf in their adult years.

From all this I would suggest that the future of golf rests upon all of us to take our children, grandchildren, nephews, and nieces golfing. Junior golf programs certainly have a place, especially in teaching golf, but the family seems to be the key to getting someone started on golf.

Paul Stephenson

« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2008, 11:11:42 AM »
My dad.  When I was about 5 or 6.

My first club was a cut-off (broken) Ram 2-iron with a grip fastened on with electrical tape at the bottom.  To this day I still jokingly tell him I wish my first club had been a putter.  Neither one of us can putt.

It would come out of the bottom of his bag on the 2nd or 3rd fairway and I'd hit the ball until I got tired.  Then I'd climb onto his pull-cart and he'd pull/drag me around until I'd get off and start hitting it again.

My first real set of clubs were Chi Chi Rodriguez.  I joined the junior golf program as early as I could (age 11) and have been a member there for 27 years now.

Bradley, I brought my 3 year old daughter to the club twice this year to putt on the practice green with her first club...a Kids USA putter; pink.  Her grandfather did not object to the club selection.

Here's hoping she will have a story similar to these to tell some years from now.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 11:19:15 AM by Paul Stephenson »

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2008, 11:15:39 AM »
Bradley,

I appreciate your analysis and do believe that it serves a purpose.  However, perhaps your numbers reflect how one becomes so obsessed with golf to the point of being active in a web site devoted to golf course architecture.  Perhaps of the total of active (but less obsessed golfers) a greater percentage was drawn to the game outside of family members.

I do not know the answer to my question, but it would be interesting to know.

Nevertheless, I do think your final analysis is likely very correct, the future of the game is in our families.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Kalen Braley

« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2008, 11:28:58 AM »
Bradley,

You can also count put me in two of those minority groups.

1)  I took up the game due to encourgament from friends who had recently discovered golf as well.

2)  This didn't happen till I was 23.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back