News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Fowler

Fire in Montecito, CA
« on: November 15, 2008, 10:41:16 AM »
If anyone live in the area, we will be keeping you in our thoughts and hoping for the best.  If anyone has an update, I would love to hear it.  Obviously, this is the least of concerns in the area, but we hope for minimal damage to the Valley Club (just as we hope for minimal damage in the entire area.)  Best wishes to everyone in SoCal.

Bill_McBride

Re: Fire in Montecito, CA
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 12:11:26 PM »
The fire is quite a bit west of the Valley Club and the winds are easterly/northeasterly when gusting, so there is little chance of damage to the club.  Here's an LA Times web page with a map:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-sbfire-gmap,0,2365125.htmlstory

Scroll to the east and you'll see the Valley Club.

Over 100 large homes have been destroyed in the fire including the home of a very good friend who was on his way home from New Zealand when the fire started.  His home is right above Westmont College and was one of the first consumed by the fire.  Other friends have evacuated safely.

With heavy hearts, our thoughts are with our friends in Santa Barbara.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 12:11:53 PM »
I spoke with a friend who lives in Santa Barbara and is a member at Valley Club yesterday.   The fire is burning away from the Valley Club and it is not in danger.   Same with Oprahs house which is close by.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 04:18:28 PM »
Wow - I turned on KABC at 7am this morning (3am PT) here in Pennsylvania via DirecTV.  Truly terrifying video.  God bless you all in Southern California.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 07:59:38 PM »
The fires ravaging Los Angeles put golf, and college football, at the lowest end of my viewing today. Godspeed to the thousands who are homeless.

David Stamm

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 09:03:00 PM »
My thoughts are with the SB residents, especially those that have lost their homes.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 10:29:19 PM »
I understand that the Sylmar fire may have destroyed many more homes.  It's frightening to think how rapidly those fires can spread.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 11:03:16 AM »
We have fires everywhere today, but the wind is scheduled to subside later today and control of most should take place tomorrow.  Think of getting up in the morning as normal and by 4 PM you no longer have a house.  Weird.

I laid awake for hours worried about Oprah's residence!
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 11:08:14 AM »

I laid awake for hours worried about Oprah's residence!
[/quote]

Mee too
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 12:19:17 PM »
I was playing golf at Angeles National over in Sunland on Thursday afternoon, and the guys I was playing with noticed the smoke blowing in.

I thought it was simply a haze, but they all said "no"...it did not look like haze/fog but rather smoke.  I didn't think much of it until I got home Friday and saw the news.

Yikes!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back