News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Is the 14th at Cypress Point Club a ...
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2008, 08:42:43 AM »
Bill McBride,

Yes

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2008, 05:04:26 PM »

Patrick,

What percentage of your tee shots at NLGA's Bottle Hole have been played left of the centerline fairway bunkers? 

In theory, every one of them.

There's an advantage to be gained by driving in the left fairway.

However, conditions may make reaching the left side fairway too risky, hence, I'll opt for the right side under those conditions.

I think the dual fairways there were/are eye candy with the primary architectural feature from the tee being the gradual narrowing of the right side landing zone. 

Nothing could be further from the truth.

The left side fairway is flatter, providing a much better lie.
Portions of the right side fairway are sloped, either 1. high left to low right, or 2. the same but with some added upslope toward the green.

In addition, the left fairway is elevated above the right fairway providing another advantage.

And, the angle of attack is slightly better from the left fairway.

Given the choice of either fairway and I'll take the left one 100 % of the time.

Otherwise, wouldn't they call this a "Lungs Hole?"

Because the ODG's were more familiar with, and indulged in, "the bottle"

Mike Hendren

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2008, 09:23:13 AM »
In theory?

Where's Kevin Reiley's BS flag when I need it. 

I'd love to know the decade in which the first player EVER drove it down the left side.  I'm guessing the 50's.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2008, 09:43:58 AM »
Mike,
Why do you think that is BS?

Mike Hendren

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2008, 09:55:06 AM »
Tommy (glad you're back btw),

How does one drive the ball in theory?  Did Patrick always aim left and occasionally hit a banana slice into the right fairway?  I thought Patrick had/has game.  Or did he take the Bogeyish strategy of aiming directly at the centerline bunkers, confident that the ball never flies straight off the old persimmon.

Under what "conditions" does he opt for the right hand fairway? 

I'd like to hear more about this theoretical golf - with the current economy it might soon be in vogue.

I hope you are doing extremely well, pal.

Mike

Mike Hendren

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2008, 09:57:48 AM »
Exactly where does the centerline bunker complex go?

Bogey

Mike Hendren

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2008, 10:11:48 AM »
On second thought "in theory" must be NYCSpeak for "no."

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2008, 10:20:42 AM »
Mike,
Thanks for the warm welcome back. It is always appreciated.

Unfortunately I'm at work and much of my stuff is at home, and with today's current economy, I'm starting to try to focus more at work while saving the fun stuff for later at home. 8/8/8 they call it.

I've got a few examples of what I think of the Bottle Hole. Some may agree with it, some may not, but I'll give my take later. Until then, Don't tip that bottle too much!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2008, 08:32:38 PM »

How does one drive the ball in theory? 

It's called planning or tactics.

However, those plans/tactics are subject to adjustment depending upon the conditions when you arrive at the tee.

With no wind, or a down wind the decision is fairly simple.
With crossing winds it becomes more complicated and with the wind in your face, sometimes there is no decision, the elements have made it for you.

The heaviness of the air is another factor.
As is your driving performance on the previous holes

Did Patrick always aim left and occasionally hit a banana slice into the right fairway? 

It depended upon the circumstances at the time.

I thought Patrick had/has game. 

Occassionally.

Or did he take the Bogeyish strategy of aiming directly at the centerline bunkers, confident that the ball never flies straight off the old persimmon.

Occassionally

Under what "conditions" does he opt for the right hand fairway? 

Wind, air and previous performance are the three primary factors that might cause me to change my election from the left to the right fairway

I'd like to hear more about this theoretical golf - with the current economy it might soon be in vogue.

It's fairly simple.
The optimal DZ for me is in the upper left side fairway where the lies are flatter and the angle suits my eye.

Thus, it's my intention to try to drive it to that location when I begin my round.
However, factors, such as the ones I've listed, might influence my intended strategy to the degree that I alter it and attempt to drive in the DEFAULT DZ.

It's worked fairly well for me over the years.

Longer drivers don't have my concerns, they just hit it straight over the entire bunker complex.  That's why I favor adding length to the back tee, to make them have to face the same features and dilemas.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2008, 09:28:44 PM »
Michael, I have one for you... What hole at Sand Hills is the Bottle?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2008, 10:52:16 PM »
Adam,

# 8 ?

John Handley

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2008, 12:11:29 AM »
I hit 3-wood, 9 iron into 14 today.  Missed the 8 footer for birdie though.  It was 78 degrees out there today.  Simply awesome.  If you have not played CPC, you must because it is as every bit as good as you think it is.
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

Adam Clayman

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2008, 12:26:25 AM »
Patrick, While there may be a bit of liberty taken on the definition, I sense the 12th hole might play exactly like a bottle. There's no bunkers splitting the fairway, but there's enough severe contouring to the fairway, making the ideal landing zone very narrow and difficult to find without being thrown sideways into one of the side hollows.

No need to go all psychic color war on me if you disagree.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2008, 11:05:03 AM »
Adam,

I had hole # 8 and hole # 12 listed, but felt that # 12 widened beyond what I would consider a "bottleneck" in the typical DZ.

I don't consider a "bottle" hole to be one where the fairway ONLY narrows as it gets closer to the green where ONLY the long ball hitter can reach.

Brett Morris

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2008, 10:20:38 PM »
If you have not played CPC, you must because it is as every bit as good as you think it is.

Sounds easy John, I wish it would be.

I'm coming over from Australia in February and hope to just see the course on February 13.  I'm hoping the Superintendent will let us on for a look through prior arrangement.

John Handley

« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2008, 11:41:36 PM »
I know it's a tough ticket to get, but my point was that I believe anyone who loves golf should exhaust all possibilities to get on Cypress.  It is so worth it.
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back