News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Ward

Re: Toughest three finishing holes?
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2008, 05:04:29 PM »
Tim B:

Here's my point which you respectfully missed.

Wherever Tiger has played he has excelled.

The lone examples that disprove that point are Riviera and the various times he has played in Westchester County (e.g. Buick Classic and PGA / US Open events at WF). Since Tiger has been #1 for just about the entire time he has played on the PGA Tour my point was simply that the challenge presented by WFW is something he has failed to overcome and his missing his ONLY major cut there is worth noting and appreciating. 

TEPaul:

Yada, yada, yada ...

Tiger doesn't make excuses when he plays -- you don't need to step into that role for him.

When an athlete steps onto the field / course, etc, etc, he's making the statement he's ready and able to play. That's basic 101 level understanding. Check his record at WFW in the '97 PGA or the times at the Buick Classic. Save for Riviera - it's the worst of any place he has ever played.

The passing of his Dad was a tough hurdle for him to overcome -- no doubt -- but he himself admitted to press people that week he was ready to compete. I guess I should throw out what Tiger says and simply insert what his press agent TEPaul says. ;D

JESII:

You forgot to mention about the nature of the putting greens at WFW and how demanding it is to get anywhere near them with one's approach shot.

Ditto the need to turn the driver in both directions beyond hitting it sufficiently long enough.

I agree w you for a bogey shooter the final three at WFW will likely not be as demanding as the final three at Merion because of the proximity of the quarry.

Adam:

Pipe down with the predictable calls for other elements to be considered in a specific thread which has zero / nada to do with what you are constantly barking about.

If you missed the title of the thread it's simple ...

Toughest three finishing holes !

JESII

« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2008, 05:11:44 PM »
I think #16 at WFW is significantly more difficult than #16 at Merion.

I think #17 at WFW is a bit more difficult than #17 at Merion.

I think #18 at Merion is a bit more difficult than #18 at WFW.

Matt,

What does Tiger's play at Westchester have to do with the difficulty of the last three at Winged Foot?

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2008, 05:45:52 PM »
I have to agree with the Carnoustie nomination of the courses I have played.  Those three holes are brutal.  I can't imagine having to face those three holes in a major needing par on all three of them to win. 

Jeff F.
#nowhitebelt

Matt_Ward

« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2008, 07:23:40 PM »
JESII:

My only reference to Westchester was that the locale and the types of courses in that small neck of the woods seems to have baffled Tiger.

His play at the '97 PGA was not really good. I watched his play at the '06 US Open and clearly the style of golf that is inherent to WFW doesn't permit Tiger to scatter tee shots at-will and still be able to recover as he has done countless times at other major venues. I don't wish to minimize the issue of losing his Dad but Tiger said himself that he was ready to go when the tournament started. I take him at his word because excuses are just not in his vocabulary.

He never really liked Westchester CC (Buick Classic) although the two courses are clearly different in their overall presentations.

One small issue I have to say with your comparisons -- I'd give the 17th at Merion the slightest of edges over WFW's 17th -- but the 18th at WFW is harder than Merion's closer in my mind. The tee shot must be hit with length at both holes -- but at WFW you need to turn the ball to get it into the best of positions. The approach shot at the Westchester course is also a bit more demanding -- again the margin is thaaaat close.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2008, 07:32:52 PM »

One small issue I have to say with your comparisons -- I'd give the 17th at Merion the slightest of edges over WFW's 17th -- but the 18th at WFW is harder than Merion's closer in my mind. The tee shot must be hit with length at both holes -- but at WFW you need to turn the ball to get it into the best of positions. The approach shot at the Westchester course is also a bit more demanding -- again the margin is thaaaat close.

Why'd it take you 10 posts to say that? The US Open performance argument was flawed, this is solid and something I can get behind.

Gerry B

« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2008, 10:38:50 PM »
merion -vs winged foot ?

on paper the last 3 at winged foot are probably harder to par day in and out/ however i would assume  that merion's finishing holes would yield higher scores day in and out as the penalty for mistakes is much more severe than at wf.

Dean DiBerardino

Re: Toughest three finishing holes? New
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2008, 06:07:50 AM »
How about the "Strong" finishing three at Canterbury?

16th – 610 yard rollercoaster par 5. (Once a par 6)
17th – 230 yard par 3 uphill to a two-tiered plateau green fronted on both sides by bunkers.
18th – 440 yard uphill par 4. (40 ft. rise from tee to green)

There are no par 5 to par 4 conversions on this finish either.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 02:42:03 PM by Dean DiBerardino »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back