News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Charlie Goerges

Re: Lymes Disease
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2008, 01:03:57 PM »
You are Safe, just take some precautions.

The deer angle comes from the fact the the carrier is the Deer Tick. The tick actually gets the disease from small mammals like mice. The tick often hitches a ride on deer, hence the name (another name for the deer tick is the black-legged tick). Bear in mind that the tick needs to be attached (head embedded in your skin) for 24-48 hours in order to transmit the disease.

The insidious nature of the disease seems to have been the result (at least around here in MN) of the fact that it wasn't widely known until the 1980s, and it took doctors and nurses many years before really checking for it. My mom's uncle spent the last several years of his life (late 70s-early 80s) suffering from what we now believe was Lyme Disease. But the problem wasn't that the disease was so virulent, but that his doctor(s) never considered the possibility and he wasn't forceful enough to demand they consider it. As a result, he went without treatment at all and the symptoms got progressively worse. This is rarely the case anymore around here.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Bruce Katona

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2008, 02:17:12 PM »
I've had Lymes 3 times...the ist time I didn't know what was wrong until I got the bullseye rash, as I never saw the tick under my arm.....6 weeks or antibiotcs (2 rounds) to knock it out...next two times I saw the bites immediately....14 days of antibiotics knocked it out each time.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2008, 04:58:35 PM »
Jonathan:

I've tested positive for Lyme disease eight times in about the last dozen years and have been through the anti-biotic thing. My doctor told me I'll probably never get rid of it. It's not good and the long term symptoms are pretty well known. I've lived on a farm for decades, do a lot of mowing and stuff and there have always been a ton of deer here.

If anyone wants to know why I'm so weird, don't blame me, blame Bambi.

Two years ago I came down with Lyme disease and fortunately it was caught early.  Tom you are the Undisputed champ in getting Lyme disease. Not a good thing.
While deer carry the ticks the ticks are actually infected with rodent droppings.  Be careful everyone.
Best
Dave

RJ_Daley

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2008, 05:34:47 PM »
Is there an anti-biotic of most often prescribed for Lyme Disease? 

Pat M., many would tell you I have your list 31-38 for most of my adult life!  ::)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2008, 06:01:56 PM »
Is there an anti-biotic of most often prescribed for Lyme Disease? 

RJ
The prescribed anti-biotic is Doxycycline.  Three week dosage is the most common.
Best
Dave

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2008, 04:07:20 PM »
I was diagnosed with Lyme this past May. I never saw the tick, but  the big pink bulls eye on my chest was unmistakable. I was told it was caught early and I was given Doxyccline which, as mentioned in a previous post, is the most commonly prescribed antibiotic  for Lyme.

My sister  has been sick for two years and has seen numerous doctors for flu and joint problems. She developed Bell's Palsey and had difficulty speaking. She was treated by several neurolgists. FINALLY someone decided to do a blood test for Lyme which came back positive. She has improved but still has symptoms including difficulty speaking, numbness and lack of full control of facial muscles.  Lyme disease is not to be taken lightly. You need to check yourself after playing golf or other outdoor activities. I've stopped going in the woods to look for errant balls. I wish I could say that I stopped hitting balls into the woods.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2008, 04:08:32 PM »
It should be noted that the bulls-eye rash is not always present. It wasn't for me.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2008, 04:35:32 PM »
Clyde,
While I don't know the type of insect I do remember reading that Frank Duane received the bite while working in the tropics. I would guess something other than a tick.

About 20 years ago some friends of my wife's who were living around the Cape(Cod) stopped at our house on their way out to Washington State.  When I asked them why they were heading there they answered that they were fearful of Lyme disease as their kids liked to play outside and were always coming in with ticks on them. I asked them if they heard of Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever, another tick born disease, and that it was present out west.
They were very dejected when they left our house and my wife wasn't too happy with me. 
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Mark Arata

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2008, 04:41:16 PM »
I will tell you an absolutely true story about my experience with this.....
I was umpiring in the Cape Cod baseball league back in 1990. There is a field in Harwich which is cut out of the woods, and they have the high school track around it.

So I get to the park early, and take out my wedge and start hitting shots through the uprights. I skulled one, went to the woods to go get it and bang, get bit by something.

So two days later I am minding my own business eating a sandwich at lunchtime and I go to take a bite and the sandwich just falls right out of my mouth.....weird, because if you have seen me, food doesnt seem to miss me that often.......All of the sudden the right side of my face is paralized. Cant blink, can't move my mouth......nothing.

Now, being the idiot that I am, I drive off to the ballpark to go work my game that night. I couldnt afford not to work, I needed the money. I of course dont tell a soul what happened, I just go work the game.

I am working first base, and in about the 5th inning, I go to call a runner out on a bang bang play at first base, and I cant really open my mouth now, so nothing comes out, like I am in a silent movie.....coaches just look at me weird, I try to play it off.....blah blah, blah, I finish the game, and afterwards, I go see the trainer, who immediatly calls for an ambulance and sends me to the hospital.

Get to the hospital, they are throwing things on me left and right, oxygen, whole works.....I am trying to tell them I am fine, just cant move my mouth wont listen......they think I am having a stroke!

So they run all the tests, which all come back negative.....doctor comes in and asks me if I had gotten bitten by anything lately.....so I show him the big giant mark on my arm.....Bingo! Lyme Disease, with Bell's Palsy.

Two weeks of antibiotics and it all went away, never to return. I am told I was extremely lucky.

PS, turns out most of the players and coaches liked it better when I couldnt open my mouth....go figure.......

« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 04:47:09 PM by Mark Arata »
New Orleans, proud to swim home...........

Dave_Miller

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2008, 05:10:19 PM »
It should be noted that the bulls-eye rash is not always present. It wasn't for me.

That is true and also the other sign can be red splotches on the skin particularly on the arms.
Best
Dave

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2008, 09:34:45 PM »
Pat - right you are, an early negative test is common.  My Dr seems to be well experienced with Lyme.  He said he's seen quite a few cases this year.  He seemed almost nonchalant about me.  He's got me on 3 weeks of Doxycycline (just as Dave cites).  He doesn't seem too excited and promised I'll soon be back to hitting it into the woods again.   :D

Mark A.  - seems astounding you had a reaction to that degree within hours of a bite...

JC

Mark Arata

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2008, 12:18:41 AM »
No, it was 2 days later.......I didnt know anything was wrong until the sandwich fell out of my mouth.....I could have been bitten earlier and not have noticed it, but I remember being bit by something in the woods 2 days earlier.

Like I said, I was extremely lucky........
New Orleans, proud to swim home...........

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back