News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Broadstone pictures
« on: November 11, 2008, 11:57:54 AM »
I took these pictures when I played Broadstone in February a couple of years ago. Its condition was almost as good as it is in high summer. I'll not bore you with the history - that is adequately covered on the club's website: http://www.broadstonegolfclub.com/content/view/12/27/

1. 492 yards par 5. Looks harmless from the tee, but a ditch running diagonally on a line to the green and heather to the right of it prohibits the direct route. A good risk and reward hole.

2. 410 yards par 4. Uphill all the way, the final assualt being steeply up to a ledge green. At least it comes early in the round.

3. 376 yards par 4. Encouraging tee shot and pitch over pond should not be too demanding.

4. 380 yards par 4. I'm afraid my photo doesn do justice to this subtle hole, which is all about angles and side slopes.

5. 286 yards par 4. Great fun - can you drive the green? Will you fail to clear the bunker?

6. 152 yards par 3. Attractive short hole, all about correct clubbing up the hill.

7. 415 yards par 4. A great par 4, calling for a drive wide to the right to counteract the slope and an all-carry second to a wonderfully-sited green.

8. 202 yards par 3. Substantial par 3 with just enough elevation change to make it a full carry.

9. 512 yards par 5. On my most recent visit the 2nd hole had been taken out of play, so this hole was split into a par 4 and a short hole. Normally it is straightforward and a birdie chance for players younger than me.

More...

Mark_Rowlinson

Re: Broadstone pictures
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 12:15:32 PM »
10th, 397 yards par 4. Strong par 4 with bunkers on the right and a ledge green which must not be missed right.

11th, 169 yards par 3. Gorgeous short hole across a valley to a two-level green.

12th, 354 yards par 4. Unusual par 4 which climbs up a valley while curving insistently to the right.

13th, 440 yards par 4. Breathtaking two-shotter, with plenty of room on the drive, but you want to be coming in on the right angle to hit and hold this marvellous green.

14th, 355 yards par 4. Is my memory playing tricks, or wasn't there a bunker in mid fairway to challenge the drive?

15th, 184 yards par 3. Delightful short hole, beautifully located.

16th, 424 yards par 4. Fine hole, with drive to angled/sloping fairway and second shot gently uphill over string of diagonal bunkers.

17th, 408 yards par 4. Exciting drive, and last heather of the round.

18th, 383 yards par 4. A bit of a disappointment, with little or no heathland qualities.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 12:45:27 PM »
Excellent photos Mark.  Given that you've now clearly got the hang of how to post photos can we expect several of these photo essays given the breadth of your knowledge of UK courses? ;D

Broadstone looks to be another of those UK hidden gems which Sean usually highlights.  I spent several childhood holidays in the Bournemouth area and played quite a few local courses.  Sadly Broadstone was not one of them.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 12:53:28 PM »
Andrew, I think Broadstone is probably the best of the Bounemouth area courses, but it's given a good run for its money by Ferndown, Isle of Purbeck and Parkstone, and Paul Turner has championed one of the Bournemouth municipals, too.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 01:15:47 PM »
Mark

I think it's probably the pick of the Bournemouth courses although some might prefer Parkstone and I haven't seen Ferndown.  Agree that the 18th is a bit of a damp squib finish.

Some of the new bunker work, particularly on holes 5, 8, 11,13 and 14 is boring at not "heathland" at all!  And i can't fathom why the centre line bunker for the drive on 14 has been taken out?  Sure it was no longer a threat for the best players but it was still an interesting hazard for most members.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Ed Tilley

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 02:53:53 PM »
I played Broadstone a few years back on a four day trip that included Ferndown, Parkstone, and Isle of Purbeck. The only thing I'd heard about it was that the members were meant to be very unfriendly. This turned out to be a myth, at least on my visit, and the course was absolutely fantastic - we were booked for 18 but just had to go out and play again (what higher recommendation can a course have). The sense of space on the course was amazing - I don't know what area the course covers but it seemed huge.

I really liked Parkstone. Ferndown was beautiful, with as much heather as Broadstone, but much flatter. The elevation changes set Broadstone clearly apart from Ferndown in my book. Isle of Purbeck was a huge disappointment - several mundane holes (and a 5 1/2 hour round!). I'd love to go back and see if first impressions were right.

Thanks for the photos which bring back some happy memories.

Richard Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 04:17:46 PM »
Mark,
thanks very much for posting these great photos.
They definately confirm that I will be paying Broadstone a visit sooner rather than later.
I was going to play there this summer but the weather put paid to that idea.
It will be interesting to compare it with Parkstone, which I really enjoy and would put a good couple of notches above Meyrick Park and Isle of Purbeck. The views at Purbeck though are hard to beat.
Another good public course in Bournemouth is Queens Park, which though a bit rough around the edges is terrific value and lots of fun. I must post some pictures of it soon. I would love the time to do some research into QP as I believe it once was the top course in the area.

Richard

Kenny Baer

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 09:11:36 PM »
All the more reason to travel overseas!!!

Broadstone looks absolutely awesome.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 07:55:15 AM »
Andrew, I think Broadstone is probably the best of the Bounemouth area courses, but it's given a good run for its money by Ferndown, Isle of Purbeck and Parkstone, and Paul Turner has championed one of the Bournemouth municipals, too.

Mark
I've played Isle of Purbeck and Parkstone as well as the two municipals Meyrick Park and Queen's Park.  I'm sure Paul had a thread on those at some stage.  As a junior learing the game I really enjoyed Meyrick Park.  Not too long to dishearten the learner but with plenty of interest to encourage you.  However its a long time since I was there last so I don't know how or if its changed.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back