News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JMorgan

Seth Raynor, Brookville CC, a question or two
« on: November 10, 2008, 05:55:04 PM »
Playing this course in a few days.  Seth Raynor laid out 18, but only nine opened for play in 1922.  Are all 18 Raynor, or did someone else finish the second nine?  Couldn't find anything in George's book.

George_Bahto

Re: Seth Raynor, Brookville CC, a question or two
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 06:27:41 PM »
It will be in the "Raynor" book - Gil Hanse did the course over quite a while ago.

One of the reasons it was built for the "neighbors" in the area who couldn't afford Piping Rock, Creek and Nassau CC
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

JMorgan

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 06:32:24 PM »
Thanks, George. ;)

JMorgan

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 10:58:44 AM »
George, did Raynor build out the entire 18 holes in 1922?

George_Bahto

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 01:04:05 PM »
Joe, my information shows he built one nine at a time during the period between one in 1922, the other in 1924

I have an article from Met Golfer 1924 stating they were adding the second nine to the 9-hole course operating since 1924

After re-reading the article I think I was wrong about the type membership because among the members mentioned were J P Morgan, the Pratt family members among other big names.

The article refers to the "club" as more informal than its illustrious neighbors.

Here's a good one:

Brookville's property was surrounded by the properties of E D Morgan, H P Whitney, Gen Geo Dyer, (the very impressive) Clarence Mackay and is opposite the Piping Rock Club

I also have a topo map of the course showing clearly the holes and the bunkering
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back