News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Fine

To refinish or not to refinish!
« on: November 15, 2008, 11:06:27 AM »
A good friend of mine from a very prominent club sent me an email the other day.  It was too good to not share a portion of it with others.  In his email, he said he was flipping through the TV channels the other night and settled on the Antique Road Show.  He likes the history lessons that come with the appraisals.  If you have ever seen the show, in just about every episode someone brings in some gorgeous piece of furniture. The appraiser goes through his whole spiel and then delivers the news. "In the open market, at auction, this desk could bring in easily, 25 -30 thousand, conservatively!" he exclaims. At this point the proud owner is about to burst open at the seams, however the appraiser is not finished. He then adds, "But had you not taken it upon yourself to strip it and refinish it, this desk would have brought in 75-90 thousand." Then there is just dead silence and they fade out and move onto the next item.

He thinks his course is that desk or that high boy and I wonder how many others feel the same way about their classic courses?   

Don_Mahaffey

Re: To refinish or not to refinish!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 11:44:34 AM »
Mark,
If I'm using the desk everyday, and it's primary purpose to me is too serve as my work place, then I keep it finished because I don't care what some guy thinks it's worth. Function is what matters, and it needs to be in good shape for me to get my work done.

If the desk is an investment that is squirreled away in some dark place so the old finish doesn't degrade, then I never touch it until I'm ready to show and sell.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 12:35:44 PM »
As a dedicated Antiques Roadshow fanatic myself I think your friend is really only sharing half the story with you. many of the high-quality and valuable pieces shown must be kept constantly refinished otherwise their values decrease greatly. For example, the silver.

Many times the appraiser will tell the person that if they take their item, be it painting, ceramic, jewelry, clock and at times, even furniture, to a "competent restorer who specializes in" the particular item type, and have it restored, thatthe value of it will greatly increase.

The real questions then are whether the golf course is of the type that can benefit from a "restoration" and whether they can truly identify "a competent restorer who specializes" in doing so...

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 12:38:35 PM »
But Don, if we look in context of a golf course, and it is played with everyday, in a functional way that the designer intended, then all that is needed is a good super to maintain it as it should be.  A fine old desk can be functional in an everyday sort of way if maintained, sans refinishing.  Just keep the joints and critical parts maintained, and don't abuse it.  Look at those desks that the Senators use in Congress.  
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 12:45:59 PM »
Yes Phil, that is also the case, and I forgot that context of the comments about some old masterpieces need to be competently restored.  I guess what Mark is saying in context of "refinished" is sort of like putting the wrong coating or foreign material on the masterpiece.  I'm just trying to play along in the home version of the game here.  So, what about the notion that when looking at a properly made craft like the woodworking in the wooden desk, a certain patina or classic aura is acquired because the desk is so skillfully made to fit its function, and to muck it up with the wrong finish is like ignoring or covering up the classic or historic use of the great craft work that has occured on its surface and what that it represents. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

JESII

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 12:49:41 PM »
Mark,

If I am reading you right, you're saying this guys club did a renovation/restoration and is wishing he could undo it?

To me, I think a golf course is not an antique collectible, and is only as valuable as its viability to its current and future patrons.

To that end, and assuming I am correct about your friends club, I think they just did a poor job of renovating the course for his liking.

Be curious to hear more details.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 01:21:29 PM »
Mark,
Every noted architect from golf's 'classic' period has one or more works that should be respected and maintained in as original a form as possible.

At one time I worked with some friends rebuilding period homes, barns and other structures. For the most part we used modern equipment and techniques for this work, and sometimes we used modern materials to create a 'period' molding or door, etc..

One thing we never did was mix the different styles, i.e. none of Jefferson's Porticos on Early American Colonials. I wish golf courses were handled the same way, when possible and worthy
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Joe Hancock

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 02:56:57 PM »
RJ,

Your Senators' desk analogy is usable, but still.....I bet there are holes that are not original so the newest communication lines and computer interfaces could be utilized (new tees). There's probably other damage(or modifications, depending on one's view) but it may be from a use other than what the desk was intended(Think Monica).

It has to function for the present use, or be a show piece. Only a handful of courses have the resources and limited use to do both successfully.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back