News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lance Rieber

Could we see some changes
« on: November 12, 2008, 09:33:10 PM »
I keep reading about private courses going into bankruptcy (Golf Club of California, Yellowstone Club) etc.  Could these facilities open thier doors to public play? Or legally can they do something like that? Just curious.
Isn't some money better than nothing.

Dean Paolucci

Re: Could we see some changes
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 11:37:22 PM »
Thats exactly what the NGF (National Golf Foundation) recommends for private clubs that are struggling rather than filing and closing their doors.
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."  --  Mark Twain

W.H. Cosgrove

Re: Could we see some changes
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 11:58:59 PM »
One issue is their not for profit status.  That may seem a little ridiculous when you consider that the club probably isn't making any money and could be operated to ensure that they don't, but there could be problems with the ability to restrict access to certain groups, and maintain certain rights for membership etc. 

I don't want to have a political discussion about these issues, but once pandora's box is open....it is very hard to close it again in better times.  That could be a drawback for some clubs.

Of interest, I belong to a club where we created what is really a semi private group of members.  They have provided a nice infusion of capital for the last 4 years.  Paradoxically, the cash they infused may have delayed us making some very difficult decisions sooner than now under a very difficult economic environment.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back