News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Varney

Cart Path Materials
« on: November 10, 2008, 07:26:53 PM »
GCA,

I would like some suggestions on cart path materials that could be used on a par 3 golf hole. 

We are currently using concrete cart paths on a golf course on this one hole we are thinking about using concrete and then transitioning to a different surface that would allow us to route the cart path along the edge of a bunker or possibly through tbe bunker.  Your thoughts, comments and suggestions please?

Has anyone seen a natural material like finely crushed granite or coal cinders being used so that a ball could be played yet still allows for a firm surface to drive carts.  We thought about railroad ties and we don't want to take chances with cart sliding or people slipping.

Matt

Joel Zuckerman

Re: Cart Path Materials
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 07:31:20 PM »

Has anyone seen a natural material like finely crushed granite or coal cinders being used so that a ball could be played yet still allows for a firm surface to drive carts.  We thought about railroad ties and we don't want to take chances with cart sliding or people slipping.

Matt

Yes I have seen it.  Here at The Landings Club in Savannah there are several holes that have waste areas that also double as cart paths--at least for 10--20 yards or so.  I think it might be some type of coquina sand that is used.

TX Golf

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 07:34:13 PM »
Matt,

There is a material known as Sta-Lok which seems to fit your description of what you are looking for. It is discussed at one point in the "Cal Club Pics" thread, which mentions a few other courses that have used it as well.

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 08:21:23 PM »
the Dye Course at PGA Village has some sort of crushed white seashell. I thought it played very fair and seemed like a sturdy cart path material.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 08:39:37 PM »
Matt,  Why not just put in the typical sand that is packed into a waste bunker. We see it at the desert courses and also Harbour Town in a few places? I dislike cart paths greatly but understand that at certain clubs they are needed. Good Luck, Jack

John Moore II

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 08:41:25 PM »
the Dye Course at PGA Village has some sort of crushed white seashell. I thought it played very fair and seemed like a sturdy cart path material.

If I had a choice, I would use that type of material around the tees and greens, but not have a cart path in the fairway areas. But if you must have the paths all around, I would certainly go with blending them in to look like a waste bunker, but being firm, not soft.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 10:12:27 PM »
Matt: I know very little about this, but recall this sort of thing at Old Tabby Links at Spring Island.  Maybe you can connect with someone there.

Wade

James Bennett

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 05:01:14 AM »
MPCC Shore - don't know what the material is, but I was amazed at how well it works for a waste area/path.

James B

Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Dave Givnish

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 08:26:48 AM »
Our course put cart trails in the desert a few years ago (no concrete).  We use a soil stabilizer on top of the natural crushed granite.  It works fine.  The paths are in play - no drops.  We used to use a pretty heavy dose of the stabilizer but it created too hard of a surface to play off near the greens.  The amount they use now stands up to cart traffic and weather pretty well.  Some parts of the trails need to get bladed after a heavy rain, but overall, it saves a lot of man-hours and water over what we use to do.

I understand that this stuff was used in Iraq to create landing strips in the desert. 

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 09:42:56 AM »
Matt,

Where's the golf course ?

How much rain do you get ?

What's the surrounding terrain like ?

I think you have to investigate what other clubs in your area have done, how successful it's been and what the problems have been and then make a prudent decision, understanding that whatever decision you make will be criticized, but, if you've done your homework, you'll have all the right answers.

Good luck

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 10:27:28 AM »

Newport National uses crushed seashells.  The environmentalists insisted upon it (don't know why).  I've been told it is a pain because the carts need thorough washing after every round....From a golf perspective they are visually obtrusive, noisy, but much better than tar as your ball does not take absurd bounces.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 11:39:06 AM »
Matt,

There is a material known as Sta-Lok which seems to fit your description of what you are looking for. It is discussed at one point in the "Cal Club Pics" thread, which mentions a few other courses that have used it as well.

We have installed Sta-Lok on some places on our courses. It is an attractive brown color and consists of a polymer added to an aggregate. We treat it as an Artificial Surface and allow a drop without a penalty.

After a few weeks of use it hardens considerably and one could make a stroke off the surface without damage.

Bob

Matt Varney

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 11:43:56 AM »
This Sta-Lok material sounds great let me do some research on it to see what colors are available and how it would be installed in a golf course application.  Thanks Guys!

Dave_Miller

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 04:21:59 PM »
GCA,

I would like some suggestions on cart path materials that could be used on a par 3 golf hole. 

We are currently using concrete cart paths on a golf course on this one hole we are thinking about using concrete and then transitioning to a different surface that would allow us to route the cart path along the edge of a bunker or possibly through tbe bunker.  Your thoughts, comments and suggestions please?

Matt

Matt
Coquina Sand is used in some locations at Admirals Cove in Jupiter.
Best
Dave

Carl Rogers

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 08:16:14 PM »
There is a trend (a good one in my opinion) to star to use pervious materials in parking lots, sidewalks etc to reduce runoff.
Another trend is re-cycled busted up masonry or concrete that is compacted.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 08:24:04 PM »

If I had a choice, I would use that type of material around the tees and greens, but not have a cart path in the fairway areas. But if you must have the paths all around, I would certainly go with blending them in to look like a waste bunker, but being firm, not soft.

This is the aforementioned Coquina Shell Sand, I would imagine.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back