News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Is the 14th at Cypress Point Club a ...
« on: November 10, 2008, 01:46:20 PM »
bottle hole?

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mike Benham

Re: Is the 14th at Cypress Point Club a ...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 01:52:36 PM »
Explain further ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Mike Hendren

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 01:54:42 PM »
Does the desirable landing area from the tee narrow the further one drives the golf ball?

Mike, please post an aerial - I aint' smart enough.

Mike
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 01:56:45 PM by Michael_Hendren »

Deucie Bies

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 02:11:14 PM »
The landing area definitely narrows.  That is probably why my caddie told me to hit a 4 wood off the tee.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 02:21:50 PM »
Michael, As I  recall the fairway really doesn't narrow that much, however, because of the trees and the angle it appears to narrow. If that makes any sense. My recollections are likely much older than yours. The reason I think I remember the 14th so well is not while playing the hole, but rather from earlier in the round (perhaps the 8th tee maybe the 12th or 13th??) where it's used as a visual along the line of charm (i'm praying that's proper use) for one of the blind tee shots.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 02:29:15 PM »
I think it's a bottle hole only for VERY long hitters and/or those who would take a considerable risk in order to get close to the green.

Remember it's a pretty strong dog leg right... yes it does narrow once one turns to the right, but to get to that would require about a 290 yard hard cut, or carry over some very large trees.  Hopefully an aerial will bear this out as I too am going just from memory...

But I don't see this as a bottle.  I see it as a shot that one wants to keep left - one that for very long hitters will be a layup of some sort, but for us normal joes will be a driver just kept to the left.

TH

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 02:58:03 PM »
Here you go:

Looking North:

Looking South:

Looking West:

Looking East:

Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 02:59:44 PM »
Thanks, Charlie!

I don't see this as a bottle hole.  But then again defining golf holes ain't my bag.  If one wants to call it that I'm sure an argument can be made.

I see it as dogleg right with the 2nd part of the dogleg narrower than the first.

TH

Carl Nichols

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 03:07:26 PM »
Based solely on the pictures, it looks like a dogleg that bottlenecks. 

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 03:12:01 PM »

And that's exactly how it plays.
If that makes it a "bottle hole" than so it is. I just thought that meant a straight hole that narrows down.

TH

Carl Nichols

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 03:15:58 PM »
Yes, this looks a little tilted to be an Absolute bottle.  Maybe a modernist vase. 

Mike Hendren

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 04:24:56 PM »
How about a gourd hole from the Hillbilly perspective? All it needs is a centerline bunker.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 04:39:51 PM »
Gilette Silver just emailed me that he thinks it looks Phallic. 

John Mayhugh

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 05:22:39 PM »
My understanding is that "the" bottle hole has two fairways split by bunkering that is at something of a diagonal to the tee shot.  The narrower fairway is over the bunker complex and gives you a little easier approach.  If you use that definition, the 14th at CPC doesn't fit.  But my copy of Evangelist is at home so I could be wrong....

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 08:09:41 PM »

doggleneck

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2008, 09:23:19 PM »
Mike oh footballess one. I do not see it as a bottle either. It is maybe sorta almost one though. signed almost footballless one Tiger

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2008, 09:59:26 PM »
bottle hole?

Mike

Mike,

I think you're confusing a "Bottle" hole with a "Narrows" hole.

A "bottle" hole has a bunker complex bisecting two distinct fairway landing areas (DZ's)

A "Narrows" hole has flanking bunkers that pinch the fairway to a narrower width.

# 14 at CPC seems to conform to the latter.

There are other differences in the two types of holes, but clearly, the aerial you depicted would seem to qualify # 14 at CPC as a "narrows" not a "bottle" hole.

Hope that helps you and the architecturally challenged such as Tom Huckaby  ;D

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2008, 10:46:36 PM »
Charlie,

You might want to change your directional signs on your wonderful photographs.

From the tee at 14 you are not going north to the green.

Think of it this way......if you stand on the seventeenth green facing the green,  you are going south.

Bob

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2008, 11:30:40 PM »
Bob,

Forgive me, I am a bit confused. Which view should be labelled as looking north?
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

TX Golf

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2008, 11:35:18 PM »
Charlie,

According to my calculations your photos are labeled correctly in regards to their direction.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2008, 11:41:55 PM »
Robert, thanks for chiming in, because I wasn't terribly careful when labelling them, plus those "Bird's Eye" views are not always 100% accurate in their directionality.

John Handley

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2008, 11:42:24 PM »
I have no idea as I have never played CPC.  But I will let you know on Friday after my rounds on Thur & Fri.   :)
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2008, 11:45:18 PM »
nice-in the old-tool hunting world we call that a drive-by. It is a term of endearment.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2008, 05:06:47 PM »
bottle hole?

Mike

Mike,

A "bottle" hole has a bunker complex bisecting two distinct fairway landing areas (DZ's)

A "Narrows" hole has flanking bunkers that pinch the fairway to a narrower width.

There are other differences in the two types of holes, but clearly, the aerial you depicted would seem to qualify # 14 at CPC as a "narrows" not a "bottle" hole.

Patrick,

What percentage of your tee shots at NLGA's Bottle Hole have been played left of the centerline fairway bunkers?  I think the dual fairways there were/are eye candy with the primary architectural feature from the tee being the gradual narrowing of the right side landing zone.  Otherwise, wouldn't they call this a "Lungs Hole?"

Mike
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 05:11:13 PM by Michael_Hendren »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2008, 10:25:26 PM »
bottle hole?

Mike

Mike,

Patrick, is #15 the Narrows Hole at NGLA?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back