News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Benham

Golf Club of California ceases operations as of Nov. 1st
« on: November 11, 2008, 11:20:56 AM »

Environmental issues and cash-flow problems led the Golf Club of California in Fallbrook to cease operations on Nov. 1.

The Golf Club (Fallbrook) Closes
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Jed Peters

Re: Golf Club of California ceases operations as of Nov. 1st
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 11:41:23 AM »
Wow, that hits close to home.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 11:54:03 AM »

It's just the begining.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 12:03:21 PM »
I have consulted at a few Korean owned clubs. In my experience, the racism mentioned is common, as is the Koreans lack of knowledge about environmental and even club culture issues, such as providing what members here really want.  Many are buying with fortunes made in other businesses and a love of golf, but no golf biz experience.

In addition, if the typical club member senses that this will be a Korean dominated club, he is not likely to join, probably feeling he won't be part of club culture.  Different races are one thing, but I think we all hate sitting in a club room and wondering what others are saying about us because we don't understand the language.  I do know to listen for "Gwi Lo"!

Its a shame about those environmental issues.  I still see owners ignoring those after 15 years of experience should tell us that they shouldn't.  What did Cheech and Chong say? "We don't have no stinkin Wetlands!"
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Eric Smith

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 12:13:34 PM »

Environmental issues and cash-flow problems led the Golf Club of California in Fallbrook to cease operations on Nov. 1.

The Golf Club (Fallbrook) Closes

Thanks Mike for the link.  That was quite a detailed story. 

A tough business.  I feel for all involved with this one. 

Anyone on here played it?   

« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 12:16:19 PM by Eric Smith »

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 12:27:18 PM »

The article states that:

"The county didn't force McLaughlin to shut down, but she thought it was best under the circumstances. The Golf Club also faces a lawsuit, filed in September, by the Fallbrook Union High School District, which says 1.75 acres of its land is encroached upon by portions of the 12th hole – again, the work of William Lyon Homes. "

For the life of me I cannot understand why the buyer of property, any property, doesn't have his own surveyor do the measuring.

I know of two instances here on the Monterey Peninsula where encroachments were made. One of them was the whole of the twelth green at the Carmel Valley Ranch.

Bob

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 12:29:13 PM »
Could somebody smart than me please answer -

What percent of this could be attributed to the economy, and what percent to just general bad management/construction/operation?

Bruce Katona

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 12:37:30 PM »
A repositioned asset with less debt and membership capacity may be the answer for the next owner....not a good exit strategy for the present owner, but we may be seeing more of this in the near future.

An operator who can successfully partner with the County to resolve the environmental permitting issues will win points with the local government.  Given my employment history, the local folks like to point to successful partnerships with the private sector in resolving these issues, rather than fines and penalties.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back