News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Liddy

BusinessWeek article "Dreams for Sale"
« on: November 08, 2008, 08:49:02 AM »

George Pazin

Re: BusinessWeek article "Dreams for Sale"
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 10:14:57 AM »
Thanks for the link, Tim.

I'd be curious if posters with more intimate knowledge could expand upon the last 2 sections: "Find the hidden costs" and "Push those sodas and shirts".
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Seth Berliner

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 10:26:22 AM »
Thanks for the link, Tim.

I'd be curious if posters with more intimate knowledge could expand upon the last 2 sections: "Find the hidden costs" and "Push those sodas and shirts".

There are a number of "hidden costs" that can drive your expenditures up.  What happens if you have an extremely dry summer and you are paying a hefty price for water?  That can also drive your electric costs up having to pump more water to the facility.  Just one example. 

F&B and golf shop sales can be a good money maker with the right plan.  A golf shop that has positive net sales can be an asset to the facility.  You have to have a good knowledge of the buying patterns of your clients and take advantage of invoice terms from vendors whenever possible.  Merchandise buying at a public facility and a private one are very different. 

Liquor sales should be able to float your F&B business depending on how much traffic you have.  Again, public and private facilities look at F&B in different ways.  If most private facilities could break even on F&B, they would be ecstatic.  Not so at a public facility where you may not have to offer as wide a range of options on your menu and can cater to the masses.

It's a difficult business but with the right management, location, and plan, it can be a profitable venture. 

Seth

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 10:27:37 AM »
Deferred maintenance - especially with the irrigation system.

It would be very prudent to have a very qualified superintendent to assess the maintenance facility, practices and budgets.
Someone with a lot of practical experience - I have Don Mahaffey look at my renovation proposals.

Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back