News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ash Towe

Re: Autumn makes every Course look good
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2008, 02:48:39 PM »
Hi Grant,
Great photos of a great day.

How did you get on in the Long Driving event or is it still to come.?

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2008, 03:07:01 PM »
Grant,

I enjoyed looking at those photos you took in April.

When you get an opportunity moment, can you perhaps take a photo of the green you are working on?

scott

Grant Saunders

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2008, 04:50:52 PM »
Hey Scott

I will hopefully be able to get that photo for you next week. I think the big machine finished up there yesterday and we get in there from monday but Im not 100% sure.

Ash

The long drive final was about 3 weeks ago. I placed 11th out of the 18 finalists there on the day. It was a great experience and a lot of fun to see some of the guys in action. It certainly highlighted for me the difference technology makes it this field. Most guys had with them 2-3 drivers and one had an entire golf bag full of just drivers. Virtually all were using 48 inch plus shafts and I saw one driver with 4.5 degrees loft. It certainly made my standard old titleist 905s look pretty insignificant.

Cheers

Grant

Joe Bausch

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2008, 06:34:08 PM »
Here's a few from my trip this week to play Bedford Springs.  I will start a thread soon with many photos of a really fine course.

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Jon Heise

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2008, 10:38:48 AM »
A few from the Otsego Club, The Tribute last weekend...

I know, I know cart in a picture...  :-[
I still like Greywalls better.

Brian Cenci

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2008, 07:42:13 PM »
#12 at The Downs just this past Sunday.  Tree looks like it is on fire almost.

Jon Heise

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2008, 09:04:15 PM »
"#12 at The Downs just this past Sunday."

This past weekend in Northern Michigan had the most vibrant trees I've ever seen!

Dang, we went from Otsego in Gaylord last Sat. over to Arcadia on Sun., really, really wanted to drive up the road a little bit and see if they had room for a twosome over at CD!   ;D

I still like Greywalls better.

Ed Oden

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2008, 11:12:46 PM »
This week has been peak in the NC mountains.

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2008, 05:47:37 AM »
A general guestion...

what type of trees give those fiery red leaves in Autumn?

scott

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2008, 08:24:35 AM »
1.  To guys who cannot post the name of course and hole #, LEARN!

2.  To guys who do post the name of course and hole #, TEACH THE #1S!

3.  Joe Bausch, that first photo from Bedford may be simply the greatest, most evocative, romantic, golf photo I've ever seen.  It's indescribable in the most sublime and overpowering ways.

4.  Dan Moore, what hole is that!  What a great little pitch of a hole.  Who needs anything beyond that declivity in the front.

5.  Autumn for me is high school golf and all the memories it recalls.  Western New York has had a great fall with the same burning leaves as elsewhere.  I'm staring out my back window for perhaps the last autumn at the beautiful trees (the pricks are building houses back there) and watch burning leaves gently blow themselves off the limbs.

6.  RE:  The leaf rule.  Just like a plugged ball...you know where it is/should be.  Drop a ball, no penalty.  If it's out of bounds or truly lost, play the stroke and distance.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Phil McDade

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2008, 09:30:02 AM »

4.  Dan Moore, what hole is that!  What a great little pitch of a hole.  Who needs anything beyond that declivity in the front.

Ron:

I don't think Dan will mind if I answer. It's the 7th hole at Lawsonia Links, in Green Lake, WI (central Wisconsin), designed by Langford and Moreau, 1930. L&M were known for, among other things, their severely pushed-up greensites, and the 7th at Lawsonia may be their most emblematic hole of that technique. It's a shortish par 3 -- probably 165 or so from the tips, but it often plays at @ 145 yds -- that's been dubbed the "boxcar" hole, because it's long been rumored that L&M used a railroad boxcar to augment the fill used to build up this greensite. Photos, as if often the case, don't do justice to the severity of what one sees from the tee. The green itself is quite good, with a significant contour running through its spine that impacts putting.

I have speculated in previous threads that this hole could be L&M's version of a Raynor "Short;" like Raynor, Langford was an engineer by trade and spent considerable time on the East Coast, leading to some to speculate that he might have seen some of the Macdonald/Raynor template holes at places like Yale or NGLA. The 7th at Lawsonia is a real target hole; a shortish iron to a green where failure to hold results in a severe penalty.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2008, 11:05:59 AM »

8th or 17th hole (started on 10 and my understanding is that they will likely reverse the nines in this way) at The Ranch in Southwick, Ma.

Hole is not necessarily typical of the course but Thursday was just a glorious New England day.  Course was a delight.  Really wanted a picture of the group in front, so I could fondly recall what it's like to be held up on every hole and play a weekday round in over 5 hours.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 11:36:57 AM by Cliff Hamm »

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2008, 11:27:47 AM »
Cliff, I use photobucket for the golf stuff - very good and easy to use.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 11:29:18 AM by Jeff Doerr »
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2008, 02:08:08 PM »
While the trees in England are a picture this weekend we have been promised storms from Monday which should denude those trees which already have turned. Yet a good half of the trees are still fully leafed and show no signs of turning. Perhaps 'climate change' [pace another thread] is going to stagger autumn here.

However, the biggest downer on golf course photography (at least in my part of England) is the fact that almost every course is saturated, if not waterlogged. I played at Conwy on Tuesday. It should be a brown, burnt-up links with sand all the way to Australia. In over thirty years of Conwy golf I have never known it so green with bunkers full of water, slippery, soggy tees, casual water here, there and everywhere and, worst of all, you have to pitch it all the way to the green....No pitch and run. This is no criticism of Conwy greenkeeping staff, but simply a reflection on the fact that there have been two dreadful summers in succession and endless rain in between. I photographed a local course last week and many of the pictures are unusable simply because of the extent of casual water and water-filled bunkers. To fly over England at the moment reveals just how much water there is just below the surface.

Ed Oden

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2008, 02:12:00 PM »
1.  To guys who cannot post the name of course and hole #, LEARN!

Ronald, I thought the point of this thread was more about the color of the trees than the specific course/hole.  I purposefully did not include that information for personal reasons.  Just send me an IM if you would like more detail.

Ed

Cory Lewis

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2008, 02:31:47 PM »
a picture of the very underrated third course at DuPont:

Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Joe Bausch

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2008, 03:28:12 PM »

3.  Joe Bausch, that first photo from Bedford may be simply the greatest, most evocative, romantic, golf photo I've ever seen.  It's indescribable in the most sublime and overpowering ways.

Every once in a while I get a photo where immediately after seeing it displayed on the camera I know it is going to be real good.  And that was one of them.

Oh yeah:  my three photos of Bedford are of the 17th, 10th, and 7th greens.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Bart Bradley

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2008, 09:25:52 PM »
My best tree snap from today's round... ;D

Grandfather Golf and Country Club #13:

JNagle

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2008, 10:07:56 AM »
It is not always the trees that make a course look beautiful in the fall.  A couple of shots from Hyannisport.  The first is the 16th and the second is of the 3rd.

It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or the doer of deeds could have done better.  The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; .....  "The Critic"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back