News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

Re: underrated: The Creek Club
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2008, 12:10:34 PM »

Several mentioned the cemetery beside 17 green & 18 tee.  This photo was from the cemetery itself looking back toward 17 green. 

It was cool walking around there with the sun setting, John. A very memorable golf experience all the way around to be sure.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2008, 06:40:49 PM »

"As to # 18, for the better player it's probably not the finishing hole you'd like, but, the cemetary restricts the addition of distance."

Patrick:

Not so fast Kimmosabe. How do you know the cemetary restricts the additon of distance? Have you asked anybody buried in there? Have you asked whomever it is who owns that land? Of course you haven't and therefore you should not be saying things like that.

Haven't you seen the movie, "POLTERGEIST" ?

You should know what happens when you tamper with cemetaries.

I believe some of those graves date back to Civil War dates and perhaps Revolutionary War dates.

Am I going to ask The Dead in there or whoever owns that land if The Creek can put a tee back in that cemetary and thereby get the additional yardage to seriously improve that hole? Well, what do you think? You know me don't you and you can count on it.

But that brings up another point about that cemetary back in there but that will be on another post to come shortly! In the meantime I wish you or someone would explain to me how to repost that extraordinary photo and vantage point that appears on post #18 which I must have in my post to relate to what I'm going to say.  ;)

David Stamm

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2008, 06:52:16 PM »

I believe some of those graves date back to Civil War dates and perhaps Revolutionary War dates.[/b]

The earliest dates I remember while walking around there was the early 1700's.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

TEPaul

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2008, 09:08:29 PM »
David Stamm and Patrick Mucci:

If you two guys were back in that cemetary behind #18 tee checking out gravestones and the dates on them and such I'm afraid I'm going to have to hit both of you with a two stroke Rule 6-7 penalty, at least.

By the way, David Stamm, the quotation under your posts is just remarkable. Wasn't Max something else? The more you think about that remark the better and more appropriate it gets!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 09:16:43 PM by TEPaul »

David Stamm

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2008, 09:24:23 PM »
David Stamm and Patrick Mucci:

If you two guys were back in that cemetary behind #18 tee checking out gravestones and the dates on them and such I'm afraid I'm going to have to hit both of you with a two stroke Rule 6-7 penalty, at least.

By the way, David Stamm, the quotation under your posts is just remarkable. Wasn't Max something else? The more you think about that remark the better and more appropriate it gets!

Sorry, Tom. I can't resist seeing old things. Some of the headstones were so worn away you could barely make out anything.

The Behr quote, in my mind, says eveything that needs to be said about great architecture. I sometimes will reflect for a day or two about single sentences that he has written. Smashing good stuff!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2008, 11:32:00 PM »
Paul:

Thanks ...

You see The Creek as being better architecturally than BB -- OK. I personally believe you are being
a bit gracious in giving The Creek a passing grade for the first few holes. So be it. I also think the concluding two holes
at The Creek are also a bit of a letdown. Granted the Black doesn't have the green shapes / contours found at The
Creek.

However ...

You only listed one course in the immediate area that you see The Creek as being better. Were there others?

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2008, 05:57:00 AM »

You only listed one course in the immediate area that you see The Creek as being better. Were there others?

Matt,

You are a list guy, so here goes the updated LI list:

National
Shinnecock
Fishers - Wardian rule that Fishers is on LI
FH
Sebonack - Have not played, but taking an educated guess, which is permitted on my list  ;)
Piping Rock
GCGC
Maidstone
Creek
BB - could be higher if the setup was less US Openish

11-20 no real order

Atlantic
Engineers
Laurel Links
St Georges
Inwood
Tall Grass
Montauk Downs
Seawane
Southampton
The Bridge

4 that I have not played that could bump others

Huntington
Rockaway Hunt
East Hampton
Westhampton

Missing but I really do want to get back to:

Gardiners Bay

Jason Topp

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2008, 12:37:01 PM »
I played this course when in law school with no understanding that it had any architectural significance.  I recall a terrific lobster dinner in a tent and the feeling that I had been transported into the world of the Great Gatsby.

PThomas

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2008, 03:01:43 PM »
Paul:

Thanks ...

You see The Creek as being better architecturally than BB -- OK. I personally believe you are being
a bit gracious in giving The Creek a passing grade for the first few holes. So be it. I also think the concluding two holes
at The Creek are also a bit of a letdown. Granted the Black doesn't have the green shapes / contours found at The
Creek.

However ...

i think The Creek is better than Engineers too Matt

and pls don't get me wrong, i am not dissing either BB or Engineers, they are both very good as well...I just think The Creek is better

I also played Sebonack, which gets the nod over The Creek.....

i hope i get to play all four courses asap!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2008, 03:19:34 PM »
I played this course when in law school with no understanding that it had any architectural significance.  I recall a terrific lobster dinner in a tent and the feeling that I had been transported into the world of the Great Gatsby.

The one time I played the Creek was at a charity event and we had the same deal.  Really fancy steak and lobster dinner, under a big tent out at the beach club, and yes, Gatsby did come to mind!

We started our shotgun round on #4, the Eden, so we were a bit disjointed.  But #6 tee comes up faster that way, that is probably the most spectacular view in golf - except maybe #17 tee at NGLA!

This is the view from the Crows Nest (private room in the top of the clubhouse, Mark Rowlinson had the great pleasure of staying here during that event).  Imagine yourself maybe 400 yards west looking down from the sixth tee with that incredible green below you, fronted by a fearsome bunker.

PThomas

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2008, 03:31:03 PM »

The one time I played the Creek was at a charity event and we had the same deal.  Really fancy steak and lobster dinner, under a big tent out at the beach club, and yes, Gatsby did come to mind!

We started our shotgun round on #4, the Eden, so we were a bit disjointed.  But #6 tee comes up faster that way, that is probably the most spectacular view in golf - except maybe #17 tee at NGLA!

This is the view from the Crows Nest (private room in the top of the clubhouse, Mark Rowlinson had the great pleasure of staying here during that event).  Imagine yourself maybe 400 yards west looking down from the sixth tee with that incredible green below you, fronted by a fearsome bunker.

what a place to have a cocktail after your round, sitting outside, with that view!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back