News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig Van Egmond

Re: Golfweb & Traditional Golf Roll Call
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2008, 02:27:17 PM »
The gang at Traditional golf managed at least 2 outings that I am aware of. The first one was in Pinehurst and had about 13 attendees and we played Mid-Pines, Pine Needles and Tobacco Road. Dick Daley put that together and it was an absolutely blast.

The second one was in Michigan and there was only 5 or 6 of us, but we got to have breakfast with a fella named Tom Doak who was just starting to work on Pac Dunes at the time and dinner with another guy named Mike Devries who was putting the finishing touches on Kingsley Club. The rotation was High Pointe, Arcadia Bluffs and Crystal Downs. I believe John McMillian put this one together.

There was also a gathering at Bandon for the opening of Pacific Dunes with 20 or so people, but I think that was after GCA had started. John Kirk had his epic match with the young man from Atlanta who married a cute young gal from Scotland.

It was really hard to explain to people back then that I was going to go across country to play golf with a bunch of people I have only met on the Internet in a chat room about golf course architecture.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 02:33:10 PM by Craig Edgmand »

Jay Carstens

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2008, 02:28:20 PM »
Bravenet?  That has been a while!
Jay in (Go Big Red) Nebraska
Play the course as you find it

Gene Greco

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2008, 03:58:12 PM »
   Here.

Golfweb and Traditional Golf but don't remember Bravenet.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2008, 04:40:29 PM »
Bob - you and I first "met" in the very old "Grillroom" done by Golf Magazine.

Many others were there as well.

Tommy - bow down and worship ______ (can't put a finger on the S)!

That is where I got my start on this crazy ride...been there thru every other major change as well.

My time started somewhere in 1998 as I was planning my first ever trip to Scotland and met both Huckaby and Huntley who were both a huge help in planning my trip!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2008, 05:02:19 PM »
Yup, can't forget Del, and KC, and maybe Ev can update us on dear old Patsy Johnson.  I hope she is doing OK.  Also, there was Bruce Goughner who chimed in a lot then and attended the Southern Pines meet-up.  I had many correspondences with Court and never met him so that makes only 3 that I can determine who have been mentioned here that I didn't actually meet or play golf with. 

I'm glad John McMillian still checks in now and then.  He did a great job of getting us organized in Michigan.  And, don't forget the ever mysterious Jim Reilly.  Peter Pittock seemed to always have his clubs ready to travel then as well. 

Ev, that time the recgolf.com or whatever gang came to Lawsonia, there was a guy that was a friend of the mighty Thor, who hitchhiked there, and joined us for dinner at that steak place then hitchhiked out.  Can you remember him.  That was another splinter group of fellows that interfaced with Bravenet and Traditional golf.  Darn if I didn't check and Thor still has his robust website which I hadn't looked at in many moon.:

http://ttsoft.com/thor/golflinks.html

Lots of great memories...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2008, 05:09:35 PM »
I miss Mike Duffy's posts.
I remember hearing JVB mentioning another website when I first met him, Craig E. and Pete Pittock in a round at Eastmorland.
So I went home and mentioned it to Geoff and he said there is another site of people "who think more like us."

It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2008, 09:29:46 AM »
Yup, can't forget Del, and KC, and maybe Ev can update us on dear old Patsy Johnson.  I hope she is doing OK.  Also, there was Bruce Goughner who chimed in a lot then and attended the Southern Pines meet-up.  I had many correspondences with Court and never met him so that makes only 3 that I can determine who have been mentioned here that I didn't actually meet or play golf with. 

I'm glad John McMillian still checks in now and then.  He did a great job of getting us organized in Michigan.  And, don't forget the ever mysterious Jim Reilly.  Peter Pittock seemed to always have his clubs ready to travel then as well. 

Ev, that time the recgolf.com or whatever gang came to Lawsonia, there was a guy that was a friend of the mighty Thor, who hitchhiked there, and joined us for dinner at that steak place then hitchhiked out.  Can you remember him.  That was another splinter group of fellows that interfaced with Bravenet and Traditional golf.  Darn if I didn't check and Thor still has his robust website which I hadn't looked at in many moon.:

http://ttsoft.com/thor/golflinks.html

Lots of great memories...

Yeah!  I do remember that guy, but not his name...that was over 8 years ago now (July, 2000)!!!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2008, 11:26:48 AM »
Tom,
Yes, sadly it is the last time I played there.

Dr. Greco,
Bravenet was the discussion group webwear Traditional Golf used.

How can we not thank Mike Golden who saved the day?!?!?!

I'll never forget being on the phone with him and he said, listen, we can do this ourselves, look how easy it is: He then googled discussion group softwear and found Bravenet, then with-in 10 minutes went and secured the name with Inernet Solutions and we were up and running--again! All of this while talking to me on the phone!

Do you guys remember Bluestreak? That guy was pretty smart!

And of course there was Larry the loser! (Larry Craine) Who we found out eventually got put in jail for his "previous" con's!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2008, 11:46:39 AM »
Tommy - ahhhh, good times, good times.

Get thyself up here to play Pasa, my friend.  Methinks some other fine courses could be easily arranged also.

;)

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2008, 11:49:00 AM »
I'm still around from those days, though I rarely post.  I administered the Traditional Golf site after Mike Golden stepped away from it.

All this has to be what, 8 - 10 years ago?  It is fun to see many of the folks from back then still around.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2008, 11:50:39 AM »
Tommy,

Actually I believe the bravenet site was the one set up by Mike Golden and the Traditional Golf site was by Mike Erdmann (spelling?). If you look at the link for Traditional Golf site below you can see it references the Bravenet site. Bravenet had some reliability problems that led to the formation of the other site I believe.

http://web.archive.org/web/19990508120815/http://www.traditionalgolf.com/

Here is excerpts from the page that give you some clues to dates and such...

IMPORTANT NOTE:    As of 2/12/99 Bravenet is back up.  We are trying to make sure that the site will now load quickly and be suitable for our use.  Please post any information you wish regarding your experiences.  Thanks.

Links:

Golf Architecture and Design Forum (Bravenet)

USE LINK BELOW UNTIL BRAVENET IS BACK UP:
 Golf Architecture and Design (Internexis)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 12:27:19 PM by Craig Edgmand »

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2008, 12:44:58 PM »
Craig,
That would be incorrect. It was Mike Golden who did all of that. Mike Erdmann took over for me when I came over to here. This is they way it sort of came and went.

--Huckaby, Huntely and others were on alt.golf and The Grillroom.
--iGolf.com was the another original GCA site, that sort of captured a lot of the in-the-business guys and of course, our beloved original Golfweb site, which great thanks goes to Dan King. Dan was THE MAN.
--When CBS Sportsline bought Golfweb, it became this horrible site that none of us felt comfortable, nor liked. We soon vacated for greener pastures when I found a 17 year-old kid who happened to be trying to build a web discussion empire out of the State of Washington. I can't seem to remember his name now, but we were there like four to six months with constant downtime. WE NEEDED OUR FIX! So, Mike Golden and I were on the phone and he basically set-up Bravenet and attached the name--if I remember right, Kevin was the winner when we asked our group what a good name would be, thus became TraditionalGolf.com.
--We grew, and then eventually one day John V and I were talking and he told me to take a look at this website these two brothers that he knew of had started. The first post I made was when Ted Sturges dissed (jokingly) some English-born Scottish golf architect named MacKenzie and it was almost instantly all of us started getting along pretty good.

Unbeknown to me, Geoff Shackelford knew of the Morrissett Brothers site also, and we agreed that it was seemingly a better environment. Like 6 weeks later, one of the Brothers Morrissett--the very odd one--who happened to live down in Australia, was flying to go see his family in Virginia and was going to spend a day or two in LA. This set-up an El Cholo visit with Geoff, The Very Odd But Likable  Morrissett Brother, Eric and myself and we all just more or less got along. By this time GCA was moving along pretty quickly discussion group and profile wise. Ran and I more or less talked and agreed to tell them over at the other discussion group, we're going here now, you better be ready for a whole new group of whackos..."

That next day I more or less announced to everyone that I was now going to concentrate all my time over here and gave the link. I gave Mike Erdmann the keys to Traditional Golf.com and the rest you can say is history....

Pat Burke

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2008, 01:20:42 PM »
I used to go on Golfweb  Probably when I was injured in 97  98
Believe I may have been  H8golfbob
Not sure, getting close to senior tour age and memory is failing ;)

Dave_Miller

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2008, 01:20:58 PM »
As Bob Crosby and Tom Huckaby have stated in another thread, some of us have been around a long, long time.  Its hard to believe just how long.

With that, if I may be so bold to ask those who participated or lurked on the precursor to Golf Club Atlas, please stand-up and check-in so we know that your still with us and where your located!

Me first!

Tom Naccarato
La Habra, California & Baiting Hollow, New York ;)

Dave Miller checking in
Dover, MA
Non-Resident Member of Philadelphia Mafia

BCrosby

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2008, 01:32:43 PM »
Tommy -

Did GolfWeb predate this site?

Bob, aka Otey

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2008, 01:50:41 PM »
Bob, Yes, it did.

ChipRoyce

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2008, 02:49:27 PM »
Raising my hand as an early veteran of the Internet golfing worlkd.

As far back as 1995, I was "igolfchip" on iGOLF, was an early employee of the company and started out bringing the AOL service over to the web. Later on, designed a few other services including Golfcourse.com and eventually moved over into business development and marketing.

Brad Klein, Gary Galyean, Mike O'Bryon and other veteran golf media types were on staff and had a great time working with them.

Remember in fact Brad's first article re: Sand Hills on iGOLF - one of the first pieces that got me attracted to the GCA world.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2008, 03:04:34 PM »
Tommy,

Technically bravenet was a discussion forum and Traditional Golf was a website that had a link to the bravenet forum for Golf Architecture and Design Forum.  I think many people went directly to bravenet without ever going to the Traditional Golf site. Either way it was the bridge that got us from golfweb to GCA and my thanks to the two Mikes for making it possible.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 03:31:15 PM by Craig Edgmand »

Mike Golden

« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2008, 03:20:53 PM »
I registered www.traditionalgolf.com while setting up the Bravenet site-sometime later I transferred the site over to Mike Erdmann when I decided that life was more important than monitoring and running a discussion group.

Mike_Duffy

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2008, 08:31:53 PM »
Yikes,

Now all the names are coming back to me. Golfweb with DK as moderator was my introduction to golf course architecture and a portal to discuss the topic, as just about everyone I knew in Oz had little or not interest in the subject.

Presently living at The President Apartments, Sukhumvit Soi 24, Wattana, Bangkok.

If any of you are into "golf course architecture noir", then Bangkok is your place.

Ah yes, Del Ratcliff I remember and Lynn Shackleford and Patsy Johnson as well.

Thought I had better check in with the "old gang".

Tim_Weiman

Re: Golfweb & Traditional Golf Roll Call New
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2008, 08:52:42 PM »
Tommy,

I certainly remember the Bravenet/Tradionalgolf days and the trips Craig Edgmand mentioned to Pinehurst and to Michigan. Fun days to be sure.

FYI. I am headed out to the USC-Notre Dame game later this month....maybe we can get together.

Hope things are well for you.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 12:46:31 AM by Tim_Weiman »
Tim Weiman

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2008, 10:07:04 PM »
Tim,
Great to hear from you. Please give me a call! (714) 803-3563

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back