News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kirk

Dean Barnett 1967-2008
« on: October 29, 2008, 06:07:42 PM »
I met Dean Barnett for the first time this June, at a Ballyneal member function.  Dean and I gravitated to one another immediately; over the next few days my wife and I spent many hours with Dean and his wife Kirstan, plus a day with Dean's father and brother thrown in for good measure.  It was a glorious time, the highlight of the golfing year.  Kirstan Barnett and Cheryl Kirk finished third in the best ball tournament.  Dean's beloved Boston Celtics were busy overwhelming the undermanned Lakers in the NBA finals.  There was a big party with rock and roll music and dancing.  Friendships were forged among our new, passionate membership.

I knew Dean was sick, or sickly.  Rupert O'Neal told me the story about the Weekly Standard writer who came to do a story on sand hills golf and fell in love with Ballyneal.  I was looking forward to meeting Dean and Kirstan for weeks, and was not disappointed.  Dean was witty, sharp, irreverent and opinionated.  In a word, brilliant.  As Forrest Gump would say, he and I got along like peas and carrots.  Dean began his writing career by starting his own blog, SoxBlog, then moving to Hugh Hewitt's TownHall.com, in addition to serving as staff writer for William Kristol's Weekly Standard magazine.  Dean became the permanent guest host for Hugh Hewitt's nationally syndicated radio talk show.

Over the weekend together at Ballyneal, Kirstan mentioned to Cheryl that Dean had become so sick last year that she didn't know if he would make it.  I felt a sense of urgency to see Dean again, and so I added a few days in early October to my fall golf trip along the east coast.  We corresponded semi-regularly throughout the summer.  Dean was very busy covering the presidential campaign, while also working on a book about the golf business.  As far as I can tell, Dean was spending 12-14 hours a day working at his computer.

Dean is responsible for what I consider the best of all the sand hills golf articles written after Ballyneal opened.  It can be found here:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/014/196yvuhj.asp?pg=1

On October 2nd, I traveled from the New York area towards Boston, staying in Mystic, Connecticut.  Dean called me that evening and said, "Ahh, I've got problems.  I had a 102 temperature today.  I may not be able to get together."   The next morning he called again, and we exchanged a few more words:  "Well, I spent at the night in the hospital, but I'm feeling a little better.  I'll call you tonight."  I drove into Boston that evening, but he didn't call.  The next morning Kirstan called to say Dean was back in the hospital.

Dean is perhaps most famous for his pamphlet on life as the sickly child with cystic fibrosis:

"As I grew sicker, I had what for me was an extremely comforting insight. I came to view serious and progressive illness as an ever constricting circle with oneself at the center. The interior of the circle represents the contents of one’s life. As the circle gets smaller, things that were inside get forced out. Some of these things are dearly missed; others that were once thought precious get forced to the exterior and turn out to go surprisingly unlamented.

"At the innermost point of the circle are the things that really matter: family, faith, love. These things stay with you until the day you die. At the very end, because the circle has shrunk down to its center, they’re all you have left. But as we approach that end, we finally realize that all along, they were what mattered most. As a consequence, life often remains beautiful and worthwhile right up until the end."

Dean was that inspiring person you meet in life that overcomes odds and excels, lives life to the fullest without regret, and makes you appreciate what you have.  He disregarded pity and sympathy, as he was too busy working and enjoying life to bother.  Meeting Dean makes me want to accomplish more with my life.  In this regard Dean was extraordinary.  Here is an email he sent me this summer after I wrote "The Architecture Should Accommodate That Shot":

Read your post/thread starter on the architecture should allow that – great stuff. Another truly skillfully executed essay.

I think you should start a blog where you force yourself to write at least 3-4 such pieces a week. Think how today’s piece would have turned out. You’d have the idea, do a little reporting by talking to Doak seeing what he does intentionally allow, and then do a little more reporting finding out how players with different abilities than your own think. It would have been a tidy little essay, and would have said more about stellar golf course architecture than the typical book does on the subject.

And the array of topics would be endless. You could do an article on why 7 Ballyneal is such a magnificent hole. Or you could tackle my favorite part of the course – the showmanship on the walk between 3 & 4.

The key thing is this -  to be a writer, you gotta write. You write, you become a writer and your skills improve rapidly. You’ve already got chops, but the things that you say give you problems like speed improve rapidly the more you write. I bet you could develop a widely read golf architecture blog. Do it really right, and you could join Klein and Whitten as the world’s most respected voices on the subject in literally months.

You need help starting a blog, let me know. Gotta warn you – it will take all of ten minutes. Please think about it.

DB

I don't want to develop a golf architecture blog; my novel ideas on the subject are far and few between.  But I have a couple big ideas for writing projects, and you can't buy this kind of encouragement.  Sometimes your friends help you decide what to do.

On Monday, Dean Barnett, neo-conservative writer, talk show host, Ballyneal member, and GolfClubAtlas lurker, passed away from complications due to cystic fibrosis.  He was 41.  Tributes to the great man are all over the Internet.  A good place to start are at William Kristol's weeklystandard.com and Hugh Hewitt's townhall.com.  To close, here is Mitt Romney's tribute, which can be found at:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblogs/TWSFP/2008/10/mitt_romney_on_dean_barnett.asp

Mitt Romney writes:

I remember meeting the Barnett twins. It was 1994 and I was running against Ted Kennedy. Keith, now a lawyer in Boston, was jovial and enthusiastic. Dean was more laid-back. He had a knowing smile--like he hadn’t caught the canary yet, but he had it locked in a room. Over that campaign and over the years that followed, I got to know Dean very well. And I learned why he was smiling--Dean was “wicked smart,” as they say around here. He had extraordinary perspective and insight. He brought a lot more to our friendship than I ever could have imagined.

Dean didn’t tell me that he had Cystic Fibrosis--I heard it from an acquaintance. Dean was too intent on giving to our friendship to expect me to give something back to him. Over the years, I knew of his visits to the hospital and bouts with complications, but Dean’s smile and generosity of spirit never faltered.

Perhaps his unusual appreciation for the precious value of life enabled Dean to see what others missed, to cut to the nub, and to dispense with excuse and correctness. What it meant to me was advice and counsel that came clean and sharp. What it meant to his readers and listeners was unadorned truth and honest expression. We will miss Dean for what he saw and said. I will miss him for that and for much more. He was the real deal.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 06:14:30 PM by John Kirk »

Bill_McBride

Re: Dean Barnett 1967-2008
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 06:33:28 PM »
John, that is a wonderful tribute to a great friend.  I feel for your loss and for his family.  Thank you for sharing.

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 06:36:27 PM »
That's very moving John. Sort of shows the measure of someone is what he means to those who run across him in life, don't you think?

PThomas

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 10:20:32 PM »
how sad, he was so young

my sympathies to all his friends and family
197 played, only 3 to go!!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 10:46:10 PM »
In one aspect Mr Barnett's words left me wondering which : 

"As I grew sicker, I had what for me was an extremely comforting insight. I came to view serious and progressive illness as an ever constricting circle with oneself at the center. The interior of the circle represents the contents of one’s life. As the circle gets smaller, things that were inside get forced out. Some of these things are dearly missed; others that were once thought precious get forced to the exterior and turn out to go surprisingly unlamented.

"At the innermost point of the circle are the things that really matter: family, faith, love. These things stay with you until the day you die. At the very end, because the circle has shrunk down to its center, they’re all you have left. But as we approach that end, we finally realize that all along, they were what mattered most. As a consequence, life often remains beautiful and worthwhile right up until the end."

He may have had great friendships and admirers as one of those last aspects that get squeezed out - but are dearly missed, or he meant the friendships are still there in the aspect of love (for a friend).

Either way, his last inner cirlce must have been comfortingly ample and worthwhile right up until the end.  Very nice words that you have shared John...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 11:34:53 PM »
Sorry to hear the news; my prayers will be with his wife and family.

You mentioned him this summer in Colorado, and one of the first things I did upon my return was sit down and read "the" article. Probably the best I've ever seen at putting the movement in perspective....and explaining what all this means. He was a talented man and leaves a rich legacy.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Gene Greco

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 12:01:31 AM »
John:

What a touching tribute you've written describing a man whom I and I'm guessing most on GCA  didn't know but can now very clearly visualize and admire along with you and those within his circle.

Gene 
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 01:00:19 AM »

John,

Thank you very much for your post. It really moved me. Really!

I am certain that many members of this board feel for you, Dean and his family.  Your words told me about someone special, who most of us would have loved to know.

All the best.

Bob J

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 01:48:09 AM »
As someone who works with heart and lung patients for a living, I am constantly in contact with amazing people whose talents and insights are lost far too soon. I have found that their most prevalent commonality is their balanced perspective, which Dean decribes so eloquently.

Indeed, not only will family, faith and love stay with you until the day you die, they will often postpone it.

My condolences for your loss.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

John Mayhugh

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 08:19:39 AM »
John,
Thanks for introducing me to Dean earlier this year at Ballyneal.  Like Jon Spaulding, I also looked for his writing when I got back home and found I enjoyed it very much. 

Your tribute to him was great & I'm sure he got as much from the friendship as you did.  So sorry to hear this news.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 01:03:08 PM »
John, Echo the praise of a well done tribute.
 I don't think I met Mr. Barnett, but I certainly knew of him, if, he was the lone member allowed to play Ballyneal with a cart. If so, It's gratifying to know where he chose to spend his golfing dollars and just how benevolent a single dictator can be.

Your piece has somehow made Ballyneal even more special. Thanx.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 01:43:16 PM »
John,

This is the most moving and elegantly written eulogy I have read read in a long time.

My condolences to his family and to you, for bringing his life into our sheltered world.

Bob

Dan Kelly

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 02:50:53 PM »
John --

Thanks so much for posting this.

I listen quite regularly, while driving home from work, to the local station that carries Hugh Hewitt. I was always glad to hear that Hugh was away -- because then I got to hear Mr. Barnett's wonderful accent and gentle (for a political talker) words.

He never seemed angry -- though who could have blamed him?

Dan
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 03:13:22 PM »
John,

Thanks for sharing such a well written eulogy with us. My condolences to his friends and family.

I do agree with Mr. Barnett that you should do everything possible to nuture your considerable writing talent.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

John Kirk

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 06:28:46 PM »
This will be my one bump, just to say how much I appreciate the comments and how important GolfClubAtlas has been for me.

I hesitated before writing this, but knew I had a nice story to tell.  I did not want to be perceived as opportunistic.  My wife suggested I e-mail Kirstan Barnett to let her know I had written the tribute, and I received her blessing this morning.

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 07:32:34 PM »
John- thank you so very much for your words and the story.

I have been a Hugh Hewitt reader for a long time and was so very to hear of Dean's passing. My condolences to you and his family. I always looked forward to his posts on Hugh's blogs and his radio appearances as well.

I know I will never forget Dean as it was his blog post about GCA that brought me here and I have him to thank for finding this wonderful site to discuss golf architecture.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

David_Elvins

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 07:34:53 PM »
John,

Thanks for sharing -  A really nice tribute and a really nice piece of writing.

All the best
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 07:44:42 PM »
John K,

Did you ever ask Dean why a man with Cystic Fibrosis would join a walking only club at high elevation.  Was this some attempt to laugh in the face of death?

Ian Andrew

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2008, 08:11:02 PM »
John,

Thank you – I needed that.

I encourage you to write as he did - he’s right - once you begin to flex that muscle it only gets easier to say what you want to say. I think you proved that in this wonderful eulogy you have graced us with.

Doug Wright

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 08:59:57 PM »
Thank you John for this terrific piece. How lucky we are to meet remarkable people like Dean on this journey.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

David Stamm

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2008, 03:08:38 PM »
John, I wanted to thank you for writing this. Very moving and heart felt. My sympathies to his family and to you, a friendship that was far too short in length. Continue to write my friend. You have the talent.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

George Pazin

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2008, 04:27:59 PM »
I hesitated before writing this, but knew I had a nice story to tell.  I did not want to be perceived as opportunistic.  My wife suggested I e-mail Kirstan Barnett to let her know I had written the tribute, and I received her blessing this morning.

Please don't ever hesitate to share stories like this; they place life in perspective in ways that a million other OT topics cannot.

Let us know if there are plans for any charitable funds for the family, etc.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

George Pazin

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2008, 11:44:50 AM »
Just wanted to make sure everyone had the opportunity to read this thread.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2008, 12:18:05 PM »
John: thank you for sharing the story of a wonderful man.  Golf gives us the opportunity to meet some wonderful people under circumstances which allow us to really get to know one another. 

Norbert P

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2008, 01:06:57 PM »
  Thanks John, 

" . . .
Who's gonna fill their shoes
Who's gonna stand that tall
Who's gonna play the Opry
And the Wabash Cannonball
Who's gonna give their heart and soul
To get to me and you
Lord I wonder, who's gonna fill their shoes?"

Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes? George Jones
(Written by T. Seals and M.D. Barnes)
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back