News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Does Your Course Move The Tee Markers?
« on: October 29, 2008, 12:33:44 PM »

My home course has played the same the past three years. I know before I play what clubs I'll use on each hole. Occasionally the weather changes the way the course is played. The pro says if you move the tees around it will mess up the handicap system.

Is this normal?

Matt MacIver

Re: Does Your Course Move The Tee Markers?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 12:43:24 PM »
Very very rarely.  Even for tourneys, i.e. the drivable par 4, etc. 

My pro's rationale is that "people complain".  My 2009 mission is to try to address both problems. 

Jason Topp

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 12:45:05 PM »
I have heard of courses keeping the total yardage the same for course rating purposes.  I'm not sure such an approach is critical but it does not prevent presenting variety day to day by having some tees forward and others back, as well as varying pin positions.  

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 12:56:25 PM »
I guess you could always step back to a different tee.....

Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

John Moore II

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 02:04:29 PM »
I guess the key is to ask what you mean by move the tee markers. Yes, we moved them (when I was still at a club). Just to prevent the turf from being torn up too bad. But we did not move them greatly from day to day. Ideally, the course should play near the same yardage each day. But they can vary a bit and the handicap stay the same as an average. And members will complain about every thing, no matter what you do. Thats why I am glad I'm done with the club side of the business.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 02:10:42 PM »
Here in the US, we only rate tees separately if they are 25 or more yards apart... so if the pro is keeping them in the same place for course rating purposes, well.. he's sure doesn't have to!

Not sure how they do it under the R&A system though.

TH

John Moore II

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 02:15:40 PM »
Tom--I think what he was referring to was a Super moving them around 15-20 yards from day to day. That gets a bit odd. I had a lady member one time want to give me an earfull because the green staff put the tees 1 yard in front of the marker with the flag cut front. As if she was trying to say that hole should play the exact same yardage every day. That is the ignorance the professional and green staffs have to deal with on a near daily basis.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 02:20:54 PM »
I guess you could always step back to a different tee.....

Not when you are playing in the weekend low-ball.

Ian Larson

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 02:21:36 PM »
I have nightmares about women's day every tuesday. The worst, especially women's shotguns. And especially replacing the tee markers with flowers!!!! Drives me nuts!!!!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 02:24:03 PM »

My pro's rationale is that "people complain".  

I have been told this also. It seems my course is controlled by a golfer with a minimal golf IQ that has not golfed outside our city.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 02:25:59 PM »
Tom--I think what he was referring to was a Super moving them around 15-20 yards from day to day. That gets a bit odd. I had a lady member one time want to give me an earfull because the green staff put the tees 1 yard in front of the marker with the flag cut front. As if she was trying to say that hole should play the exact same yardage every day. That is the ignorance the professional and green staffs have to deal with on a near daily basis.

John - I get that - just do understand that it doesn't effect the course rating one bit, unless the tees get moved more than 25 yards.  The rating is the same.  Of course if he moves ALL of the tees up 24 yards each, that does make for a short course, so it is artificially easy.... I get that.  I just can't imagine any pro doing that.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 02:31:50 PM »
Tom--I think what he was referring to was a Super moving them around 15-20 yards from day to day. That gets a bit odd.

I am not calling for them to be moved from day to day. Maybe every 2 months or so for a day or two.....At the rate my course is going it does even take place once every election year. The tees are less than 20 yards apart.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 02:43:32 PM »
We have had a very positive response from the members with respect to the member tee markers on the par 3s.   On each of the weekend days one member tee marker will be moved to the forward tee and one will be moved to the championship tee.  Some holes become dramatically different from the new tee marker, i.e., an uphill shot instead of a level shot, a level shot instead of a drop shot. 

We are next considering a blend set of tees combining some of the member tees with the championship tees with a separate course rating and slope.   

John Moore II

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 03:08:16 PM »
Anthony--I would suspect you are a semi-low handicap player? I will say that you are probably in the minority among the golfing public who wants to see the tees moved and more variety put into the course. Tees being in the same place and other things are why it is so hard for most golfers to take a handicap to another course and play well. I am all for moving tees all around with large differences from day to day. If you move the tees up 250 yards over the whole course today and back 250 yards tomorrow and do things like that every day, the handicaps will average out.

In all honesty (because I would do this as well) your pro is working with the Super to keep the tees in basically the same place every day so that he does not have to deal with the complaints of members. Trust me, if the majority of members were complaining about the tees not moving, they would move them. Most professionals want to just maintain things "as-is" and not shake up too much. At least thats how most pro's I have met acted, including myself.

JMEvensky

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 03:10:57 PM »
I have nightmares about women's day every tuesday. The worst, especially women's shotguns. And especially replacing the tee markers with flowers!!!! Drives me nuts!!!!

Same for the Super at my place.I once heard him get an earful for placing the markers so that on one hole they aimed at the trees rather than down the fairway.

John Moore II

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 03:12:36 PM »
Don't blame the ladies for everything. Trust me, men complain far more than the ladies do.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 03:39:26 PM »
The muni course here in Coronado has a plan that they follow religiously. The greens are rotated red, white, blue (front, middle, back) and the tees rotate with them; so the holes always play the same yardage and the wear is spread evenly throughout the course. This course does over 90,000 rounds a year, so spreading the wear is critical to its popularity.

Although this system is easy for the the cupcutter and tee setter, it does mean that every par 3 plays the same every day; this is very frustrating to me. By setting the tee back for a back pin and up front for a front pin we would get to use 3-4 different clubs on the same hole; to me this would be an ideal situation.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

John Moore II

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 03:43:53 PM »
Pete-Indeed, that would be a great situation. But everyone worries about what people might think if they try to change something. So it ends up the same every day. I actually had one of the lady's try to tell me that it said in the USGA rules that you should cut the pin back with the tees up. It doesn't say that (not even in the tournament manual, though it does recommend something like that).

Dave_Miller

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 04:37:40 PM »

My home course has played the same the past three years. I know before I play what clubs I'll use on each hole. Occasionally the weather changes the way the course is played. The pro says if you move the tees around it will mess up the handicap system.

Is this normal?

Not normal in my opinion. We move the tees around daily.  It has minimal or no impact on the handicap system.
Best
Dave

Anthony Gray

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 04:45:28 PM »

Dave,

Thanks for the confirmation.

Anthony

Richard Boult

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2008, 05:18:12 PM »
I hate it when courses move the tees up when the pin gets moved back and move the tees back when the pins are up... thus always playing the same yardage.  it would be nice to get a little variety -- especially the par 3's!

John Moore II

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2008, 05:35:01 PM »
Art-it is a very poor way to do it, but like I said, that tends to be 'normal' at clubs and many pro's and super's don't want to deviate from the norm.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2008, 05:40:32 PM »

Is this normal?

I'm pretty sure a 25 mile wind one day vs. calm conditions the next will play more havoc with the handicapping system than altering the total course length by a few percent.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2008, 05:42:21 PM »
oops
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Paul Jones

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2008, 05:46:37 PM »
My course usually sets up daily with 6 tees back, 6 middle and 6 front - same for the Pins.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back