News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Satterfield

Spanish Peaks (Big Sky, MT) Back 9 Pics
« on: October 28, 2008, 03:43:53 PM »
The "signature" holes of Spanish Peaks are found on the back nine with the postcard par three 15th and Weiskopf obligatory driveable par four at 17.

Only in Montana do Cowgirls and their horses have the right to play through!  Here at the par four 10th you are faced with water to carry off the tee before the hole sweeps to the right.  It is long (about 480 yards if I remember right) and features bunkers that aren't as tight to the green and playing area.

The 2nd and 12th holes are the ones that Weiskopf said we the most natural and best to work from.  Here the hole plays towards the peak in the distance and then turns to the right.  If you are really long and gutsy you can try and take it over the trees on the right and cut a chunk off of this hole but trouble lurks for those that fail.

The 13th hole is a stout uphill par three and a nice mix-in to the other downhill par threes.  The green starts between the bunkers and runs back behind the bunker on the left.  A draw works well here, but chasing one up the throat on the right side will also feed balls back to the middle of the green.  Nice hole.

The 14th is an uphill par four that plays to the highest point on the course, over 7000 feet above sea level. 

From the highest point on the course, the 15th hole has you playing downhill to this postcard par three.  At 7000 feet elevation, my brother-in-law and I each each 7 irons from 210 yards out and comfortably made the green.

16 is a par four that plays up a hill before playing severely down hill to a green protected by a bunker on the right.  In firm conditions, a bunt approach down the left side of the fairway should feed right up onto the green.

Weiskopf's obligatory driveable par four shows up at 17th and is a fun hole to play.  At about 335 yards in length, a big drive left of the center fairway bunker is required to catch the downslope that feeds tee shots back towards the green.  With the middle of the fairway being raised it is exhilirating to bust out your drive, watch it disappear behind the fairway hill, and reimerge on the putting surface.  On the day I played it my tee shot ended up chasing all the way across the green and just off the back right corner.  Fortunately it was a back-right pin and I was left with an easy up-and-down for birdie.

The 18th is a nice finishing hole.  I don't have a pic worth posting, but you bust your drive to a fairway that is crossed by a small junk ravine.  Therefore, hitting your drive too hard will get you into trouble.  From there the green is reachable in two as it plays downhill to a green site that will be much more attractive after construction is finished.  The large, beautiful clubhouse is just off to the right of this hole.

If anyone has played this course I'd love to hear their thoughts on it.  I REALLY enjoyed it and think that Weiskopf's work continues to improve.

Richard Boult

Re: Spanish Peaks (Big Sky, MT) Back 9 Pics
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 04:29:53 PM »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back