News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Not just a slight breeze, but, the kind of wind that Maidstone, Seminole and Bandon enjoy, a prevailing wind/s.

WHY would they benefit ?

And which wind direction would benefit them the most ?

I'd nominate GCGC and Hidden Creek.

Their fairways are wide enough to accomodate a good wind.

Hidden Creek would get a vote due to the size and undulations of their greens, while GCGC would get a vote due to the nature of their greens and surrounds.

The introduction of wind would enhance both courses with GCGC probably benefiting from a southerly wind.

I'll have to think about the best wind direction for Hidden Creek.

Chip Gaskins

Re: What golf courses would benefit most from the introduction of WIND ?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 11:29:12 PM »
Pinehurst #2

David_Elvins

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 11:30:57 PM »
Patrick Mucci,

How much wind do those courses get?  I imagined they would be windier than most, Hide Creek especially.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 11:32:21 PM »

Pinehurst #2

Chip,

I might have agreed with you prior to any U.S. Opens, but, with the narrowed fairways, I don't think WIND would be an asset at # 2.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 11:35:43 PM »
Patrick Mucci,

How much wind do those courses get?  I imagined they would be windier than most, Hide Creek especially.

David,

Both courses get a nice breeze.

GCGC probably more than HC.

But, they don't get a good WIND as does Newport, Seminole, Maidstone, Bandon and others.

For wind to be an asset, I think wide fairways are a must, or, if wide fairways don't exist, a fairly benign rough.

ANGC might have been a good candidate pre narrowing.

I also thought the same thing about Merion.

Pine Valley, absent the added length would seem to be an ideal candidate due to it's wide fairways.

PThomas

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 11:51:41 PM »
another good question Patrick...but i gotta think about this one for awhile!

however, many courses would benefit if the wind would dry out their wet/too often overwatered fairways
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

David Stamm

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 11:52:18 PM »
It was calm when I played it, and it may get some heavy wind already on occasion, but The Creek would be interesting in heavy winds. Piping Rock would seem to be a good canidate as well, again, if they don'get heavy winds already. Valley Club and LACC also come to mind.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

David_Elvins

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 12:07:36 AM »
For wind to be an asset, I think wide fairways are a must, or, if wide fairways don't exist, a fairly benign rough.

Patrick

I agree, but I think that (a few scottish links aside) courses with wind would have no trouble adjusting fairway width and rough height.  The courses you mention are good examples but I think Augusta requires too many aerial approach shots to either raised greens or greens fronted by hazards to promoste thegroundgame so useful in wind. 

THe 5th at Merion would be an incredibly exciting hole with a strong wind fronm  any direction (except for straight into). 

I will put in a vote for Pasatiempo though.  If they got the wind there that they get at cypress, it would add to the course at time.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Sean Leary

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 12:12:30 AM »
SFGC. Really any direction would work.

Ed Oden

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 12:32:09 AM »
I will nominate Yeamans Hall.  Its seems to be located just far enough inland to be sheltered from any serious wind.  I have played there a bunch and every time has been in very gentle breezes.  The course is strategic by nature, always plays fast and firm, has very generous fairways and only moderate overall length.  To my eye, it is tailor made to play in windy conditions.  I absolutely love Yeamans, but think wind would bring into play elements that would make an already outstanding course one of the very best.

Ed

PThomas

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 10:27:15 AM »
however, many courses would benefit if the wind would dry out their wet/too often overwatered fairways

of course, then some courses would feel its too dry then, which might lead them to water again, and so on and so on...
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Deucie Bies

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 10:54:03 AM »
SFGC. Really any direction would work.

Most of the holes run east-west (I think).  The exceptions are 4, 9, 10, 11 and 13 from what I remember.  Would you want to play the majority of the holes downwind/into the wind or with a crosswind?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 10:56:50 AM »

Pinehurst #2

Chip,

I might have agreed with you prior to any U.S. Opens, but, with the narrowed fairways, I don't think WIND would be an asset at # 2.

Just make them wider there is plenty of room.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 12:07:55 AM »
David Elvins,

While about half the holes call for an aerial approach at ANGC, I don't think that disqualifies the course from having WIND.

Seminole probably has the same number, if not more.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back