News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

Tom Doak's GOLF Magazine Articles
« on: October 27, 2008, 10:59:14 AM »
All-

I was reading "Dream Golf (Bandon Dunes)" this past weekend and was reading over the chapter on T. Doak. When speaking of his writing experience, the author mentioned the numerous articles written by Tom for Golf Magazine in the 1990's.

Does anyone know where you can find copies of some of the old articles? I did an archived Google News search to no avail.
H.P.S.

Dan Herrmann

Re: Tom Doak's GOLF Magazine Articles
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 11:09:41 AM »
Pat,
Check the magazine's masthead.  It'll probably have a contact from whom you can purchase the articles.

PThomas

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 11:26:35 AM »
pls share ahtever info you find, as it would be interesting to have all of them if possible
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 11:28:15 AM »
Thanks Dan. I don't have a Golf Magazine handy, I was just trying to find one or more online.

Does anyone know of a good website to research past magazine articles?
H.P.S.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 03:39:33 PM »
I remember a good one on America's unreachable par fives.

John Handley

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 03:41:28 PM »
maybe you can check their website...www.golf.com
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 04:11:36 PM »
John-

I checked their website, and I did find one article written in 2005, however I am more interested in some of his early writings in the 1990's...a la "unreachable par-5's."

Perhaps a library reference center would have them?
H.P.S.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 04:28:26 PM »

Pat:

Josh Sandburn, the Asst. Edt at GM gave me a phone number to try.  I don't want to post it on the board, but I'LL IM it to you.  Try the number he gave me, and see how it goes.  Short of that, I have other avenues to try as well.  I'll send it to you now. 

He says he's not sure how far back they go.  Lemme know how it works.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 04:32:12 PM by Jay Flemma »

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 04:38:41 PM »
Thanks Jay I'm checking now.
H.P.S.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 05:09:32 PM »
for the rest of you, GM said it was OK to post the number:

800-274-6800

That number is to a back-issue distribution company that Time Inc uses.  If you find them, please post so others can order as well.  If not, EM me and we'll try other ways.  Tom D, any ideas, just chime in.

John Handley

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 07:53:55 PM »
If you are looking for a specific story or issue, let me know.  I will see if we have it in the offices.
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 05:35:16 AM »
Years ago I put together a presentation on the history of the various magazine rating panels.  At that time I went to the Univ of MD undergrad library and found they had a hard copy of damn near every Golf Magazine and Golf Digest issue back to the 1960/70s.  I'll bet this is true with other major university libraries.  Doak was a fairly regular author during the time he ran the GM panel.

JC

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 07:09:04 PM »
Whatever transpires of this, I sure hope he wrote under his real name and never crossed the ocean by ship.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 02:29:22 AM »
The first article I wrote for GOLF was a short sidebar about Baltusrol for the Open preview in 1980 (when I was 19) ... then the big article in May of 1982 on the Untouchable par fives.

I must have written a dozen articles in GOLF between 1983 and 1995, and a handful for other publications as well.  I've got them all in a file in my office somewhere, but I'm in New Zealand this week so I can't look them up easily.

PCCraig

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 11:01:13 AM »
Thanks for your input Tom.

I am going to try the Chicago Public Library this weekend if I have a moment to look into it. Hopefully they are long time subscribers.
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back