News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

Bethpage Red Lovefest: Holes 7-12
« on: October 25, 2008, 05:13:58 PM »
Hole 7:

Hole 8:

Hole 9:

Hole 10:

Pay Attention  ;):

Hole 11:

Hole 12:

Kyle Harris

Re: Bethpage Red Lovefest: Holes 7-12
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 05:36:04 PM »
Hole notes:

Hole 7: 170 yard Par 3. I speculate this is to be a mirror image of the 12th, both play in the same direction over a similar distance. Large green with subtle undulation.

Hole 8: Great par 4. Bunker on the right covers a ridge which provides a turbo boost to balls hit in the neighborhood. Bunker will also gobble up balls slightly off line (as I learned today). 380 yards.

Hole 9: This hole defines the concept of "Line of charm" (Hello, Mr. Flemma!). I still don't know what line to take on this tee and the first time golfer will sit back and scan the hole for a line. Aggressive and long hitters can go LEFT of the tree on the inside of the dogleg, you can hook one around the bunkers, or play out to the right side of the fairway to get the favorable angle for the run-up approach. 450 yards.

Hole 10: Another brute (470 from the back tee). Play short of the bunkers on the right or try to carry them. Safe route to the left. Bunkers on the left of the green are deep and nasty, especially to a short side pin.

Hole 11: If my life depended on it, I'd probably admit that this hole is what puts the Black Course over the Red. Non-descript, but long par 4.

Hole 12: 185 yard Par 3 to a deep green. Bunkered all the way into the fairway approach. Great hole in any wind with a subtle but effective false front.

Sam Maryland

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 08:58:33 PM »
9 -- blister it right over top of the tree.

10 -- from the regular tees you can almost hit it straight at the green and have less than 100yds in.  from the mid-back tees long hitters can still carry the bunker on the right.  from the back-back tees hit it down the middle of the fairway.

Hole notes:

Hole 7: 170 yard Par 3. I speculate this is to be a mirror image of the 12th, both play in the same direction over a similar distance. Large green with subtle undulation.

Hole 8: Great par 4. Bunker on the right covers a ridge which provides a turbo boost to balls hit in the neighborhood. Bunker will also gobble up balls slightly off line (as I learned today). 380 yards.

Hole 9: This hole defines the concept of "Line of charm" (Hello, Mr. Flemma!). I still don't know what line to take on this tee and the first time golfer will sit back and scan the hole for a line. Aggressive and long hitters can go LEFT of the tree on the inside of the dogleg, you can hook one around the bunkers, or play out to the right side of the fairway to get the favorable angle for the run-up approach. 450 yards.

Hole 10: Another brute (470 from the back tee). Play short of the bunkers on the right or try to carry them. Safe route to the left. Bunkers on the left of the green are deep and nasty, especially to a short side pin.

Hole 11: If my life depended on it, I'd probably admit that this hole is what puts the Black Course over the Red. Non-descript, but long par 4.

Hole 12: 185 yard Par 3 to a deep green. Bunkered all the way into the fairway approach. Great hole in any wind with a subtle but effective false front.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 09:01:12 PM »
Sam,

Interesting, when did you last play the Red Course?

Those bunkers on the right side of the 10th green don't make for a good angle from the right side.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 10:43:10 AM »
After 18, the 8th might have the trickiest green on the Red.  The back tier may seem flat, but has quite a bit of slope to the right of the middle hump and the left side has an area where it slopes away from the tier towards the back and also away from the left green edge.  Also, this hole is 450 from the back tee and tends to play among the toughest holes every year in the LI Open.

Sam Maryland

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 04:08:50 PM »
Sam,

Interesting, when did you last play the Red Course?

Those bunkers on the right side of the 10th green don't make for a good angle from the right side.

hello Kyle.

played it last on the 10/18...30 times in the last 2 years.

"straight at the green" may have been a bit of an exaggeration but over the right side of the trees isn't, or more.   with a front right pin I'd just as soon be hitting from 100yds out of the right rough than 150yds from left side of fairway -- it really can make a huge difference. 

SM

PS...I just went and looked at the aerial on google, from the regular white tees the line is bunker on the left front of the green.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back